Arrow set up for elk

Jon C

FNG
Trying to figure out a good set up for elk. I'm shooting a hoyt Faktor 30 29" draw touch over 70#. Currently shooting gold tip hunter 340 at 28.75 length shooting 125 gr slick tricks and anarchy broadheads good. I have 50 gr brass inserts in arrow and 3 fletch blazers. Thinking I want to try a little heavier broadheads thinking cut throats 200 gr should I get the next stiffer arrows or stick with current setup, local shop wasn't a ton of help. Is my current setup good and not worry about heavier head. Thanks for any suggestions.

gelton

WKR
May be okay with the current setup but if you are going any heavier up front you probably need to move to .300 spine. I have a 28.5 DL and @ 72lbs and 50gr inserts and 125 broadheads (your current setup) and run .300 spine Black Eagle Spartans. It is slightly stiff but still in the green.

Check out archers advantage online, for like $10 a year you can plug in all kinds of data to tune up your setup.

OR Archer

WKR
In my opinion you’re currently running a bit weak with 175 gr up front on a 340 at 29/70. Yes it’ll tune ok but won’t be as forgiving with fixed heads as a 300 with the same weight up front. If your plan is to run the 200 gr broadheads plus the 50gr brass you’d probably want to go to a 250 spine over a 300.

Brendan

WKR
Haven't run the numbers, but if your current setup shoots and tunes well, you're fine with a good 125 grain fixed blade.

If you add any weight to the front, you'll probably need a stiffer arrow - which could be a good thing if you wanted to go that route.

Do you know your total arrow weight and speed now?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I agree with OR Archer, you may want to go up to a .300 spine with that much weight up front and a 28.75" shaft.

But if it's flying well, that arrow will devastate an elk!

OP
Jon C

Jon C

FNG
No don't have a scale or chrono shop didn't either. I'm gonna get a couple 300 shafts and 250s and some 200 gr heads and go from there

As mentioned, your current setup will do just fine.

I like to tinker with stuff so I completely get wanting to try a new setup.

I personally really liked the Cutthroat broadheads, plus the guys that sell them are awesome (produced by VPA).

Good luck!

OP
Jon C

Jon C

FNG
I was at 482 gr didn’t shoot thru chrono. Ended up picking up a Prime Centergy. Gonna try 300 shafts and get arrows a hair over 500 gr shoot 125 gr heads. The Hoyt never grew on me I was shooting my older Parker Blackhawk better, I have been trying last 3 years to get the Hoyt to shoot better finally gave up.