Thoughts on the new Hoyt’s?

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been to the local bow shop a few times over the last week or so trying new bows, specifically the new Hoyt’s. What are your thoughts on them? To me they seem to be very loud and have a fair amount of vibration. I shot all 3 of the carbon bows and all 3 were like that, and all 3 were fully set up minus a peep. I also shot a leftover carbon defiant that was bare and it felt a whole lot better to me than the new rx1. This is the first time trying Hoyt carbon bows and the first time in 20 years I have really looked at Hoyt. I’ve owned Mathews since 13 but am trying to keep an open mind as I’m also going to try the new prime as well. I’m saying that so people don’t think I’m bashing Hoyt because I’m not.

AZElk

FNG
I think that all of the RX-1's have a good amount of hand shot. I have put cat whiskers on the string top and bottom to help reduce the noise. I think it is a good carbon bow but in my opinion the PSE Stealth is the best carbon bow out this year.

Gumbo

WKR
I have shot the new carbons, minus the turbo. I don't like the draw cycle of the RX1 but I do like the way the Ultra feels. Unfortunately I'm afraid I wouldn't like the 6-inch brace, I get a lot of lateral movement towards my arm, far more than the RealmX. But to be fair I have only shot a bare bow and with a 6-inch Bee Stinger. Maybe a loaded bow would be better. I will try them at another shop that will let me bring my sight, quiver, and stabilizer and slap it on to try. For some reason I really want to like Hoyts...

OP
Whitetaildown215

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the insights. I really want to like the carbon bows as well but not 100% sure why other than to save a little weight and not be as cold on my hand when sitting in a damn tree and holding the whole time because of not knowing which direction the deer will come from in coal dumps.

Was going to get one but not anymore. Will stick with my CS 34 zt until Hoyt normalizes its line a little more (not so many changes every year).

Firehawk

WKR
I ordered an RX1. Still waiting on mine, but the bow I demo'd was so much smoother and balanced so perfectly in my hand. Huge improvement over my 2012 Hoyt Vector 32. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

FH

Don't get me wrong, they feel great in the hand and very well balanced.

Other reports I have read compare the draw cycle more like the Z5 cam, which I currently have.

Brendan

WKR
Want to go shoot them some more. I liked the draw cycle and valley of the turbo better, but not sure about the shorter a2a and string angle as compared to last year.

Liked the Turbo better than the RX1, but need to shoot the ultra still.

I agree. I only shot one Hoyt this last weekend, but out of all the bows I shot it was the loudest, had the most vibration, hand shock and blah (not bad per say) draw cycle out of them. When asked I told the salesman what I thought and he said "That's what everyone says" and laughed. I shot the New Bowtech Realm, the Prime Logic, the Hoyt Difiant and the Mathews Triax. I ended up buying the Triax, but almost called the shop back and had them switch me to the Prime.

OP
Whitetaildown215

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I shot the bowtech realm, Hoyt again, and the prime logic and centergy. Still wasn’t a fan of the Hoyt (think last years was better) the bowtech was ok and wasn’t a fan of the way the prime dumped into the valley. Other than that the prime was the best but have a feeling I’ll be ordering a triax.

Tilzbow

WKR
I shot the standard and Ultra RX1 and preferred the draw cycle of the Ultra much more so that’s what I went with. Pros are the draw cycle is similar to my 2014 Carbon Spyder, the back wall is more solid and the bow holds better on target than any bow I’ve owned. Cons are it’s noisier than my Spyder and has more vibration but both of these went away after accessories were added. I’ve heard that Hoyt is now shipping them with string silencers installed to get rid of the noise and help with the vibration but I haven’t seen that yet.

I personally have had trouble tuning the bow but I think it’s more me, my grip and a bow arm elbow injury since the tune issue isn’t consistent.

Tilzbow

WKR
If the new Hoyts have a more solid back wall (with cable stops), that's a deal killer for me.

It’s slightly more solid to me which is likely due to two stops on the bottom. I tried a Bomar stop on my Spyder and it’s not that solid and not even close to a limb stop. Try shooting them rather than taking options off the internet, my more solid back wall might feel less so to you.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I've had my left handed RX-1 for a week now--ordered the day they were announced. I've got it backed out quite a bit right now (65# limbs back down to 57#) and it is quieter than my Mathews Z7 and I don't notice any hand shock. I'm rockin' a 26.5in draw length, so I'm at the low end of the energy curve. So far, I love it. Being a lefty, I don't get a lot of opportunity to try other bows, so I may not be a good reference.

My bow does have a string silencer on it.

-David

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I'll be getting a RX-1 Ultra from Hoyt to do a reveiw for Rokslide here soon. Won't help you if you are buying this weekend but watch for the sticky soon..

Trial153

WKR
I have restrung and tuned two now. So far I am not impressed. Heavier out of the box then listed in it specs. The finish while better then Hoyt’s recent carbon offerings was still subpar, flaws, stretched and washed out looking. However that been varying from pattern to pattern. The bows tuned very easy, none of the defiant nock travel issues ...tuned up very easy with a wide range of spine arrows. The draw cycle is on par with most anything in the same ibo range, smooth but stiff up front. Both bows made their ratings without any crazy tricks needed to be played. So I will give hoyt that above a lot of brands, they rate the bows honestly. There is way way more feedback on the shot with the RX1 then other of this years flagship offering. It noticeable both bare and with the bow loaded up. On the note when this bow is finished expect it to be in 7ish range for most people. This isn’t a light weight offering at all.
All in all it’s nothing that impressed me. The weight of it on carbon bow is a deal breaker. I don’t see any reason to pay that kind of money ( the price is totally insane) for heavy carbon bow, with too much feed back and substandard finish.

I own both the Bowtech realm X and an RX1 ultra. I love them both but for different reasons. The realm X is a 60 pound bow it’s quieter and less jump/vibe on the shot. It holds nice and I am shooting it really well. The ultra is an 80 monster that is really easy to draw, is shooting heavy arrows really well. Tuned easy and has the best string angle of any bow I have owned, it holds on target really well. It is a little louder and has more vibe but not much and with it full setup it has even less.

MattB

WKR
I can't says as I have actually ever examined the finish on any bow I have ever owned. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

The noise aspect is a bit concerning though, as I have read more than 1 report of these new Hoyts being on the louder side.

Going from the Defiant 34 to the Rx-1 Turbo has been great. The bow tuned up nicely, I enjoy the draw cycle, and it is very quiet. The Rx-1T is my favorite hunting bow to date.