Best two part epoxy for arrow inserts

Trial153

WKR
pretty much anything...gorrilla glue, AAE, LOCTITE....i find them all about the same.
i like the five minute set epoxy as it gives me plenty of time to set the insert and then it cures enough that i can fletch the shaft. Some times a 24 hour expoxy you can get a little slip if you stand the shaft up to soon.

kicker338

WKR
I've had best results with the 24hr. stuff, the 5min stuff tends to be on the brittle side and doesn't give as strong a bond as the 24hr stuff.

OP
M

murf45

WKR
I've had best results with the 24hr. stuff, the 5min stuff tends to be on the brittle side and doesn't give as strong a bond as the 24hr stuff.

Watching John dudley build arrows, he said said the same thing. He prefers a 24 hr epoxy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

murf45

WKR
Has anyone used a 48-72hr epoxy? If so do they seem to work much better then a 24hr?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Has anyone used a 48-72hr epoxy? If so do they seem to work much better then a 24hr?

I've never seen anything longer than a 24 hour cure epoxy. The HIT 2-part epoxy works great, never had an insert come loose using it.......even trying to knock them out. Some of the general stuff on the market I've had HIT's break free on hard hits.

My Golfsmith 2-part epoxy has worked well too. And obviously it's "impact" resistant as it holds up to all those swings and hard hits on the clubs. I've never had a club head come off unless I was taking it off.

I have switched to a "rubberized" type glue we use in the assembly of our RC Race planes. It keeps some flexibility , to avoid vibrations effect on glue joints. Works great in insert/outsert adgesion where excessive impacts occur frequently.
I quit using epoxies a couple years ago.

I think Black eagle sells something similar to what I use, just for this application.
Epoxies in general dry hard and become brittle. Some are designed to counter this.
The only time I will use an epoxy set up, is if I want a tad more weight up front, to bring my arrows in proximity weight wise.

OP
M

murf45

WKR
I've never seen anything longer than a 24 hour cure epoxy. The HIT 2-part epoxy works great, never had an insert come loose using it.......even trying to knock them out. Some of the general stuff on the market I've had HIT's break free on hard hits.

My Golfsmith 2-part epoxy has worked well too. And obviously it's "impact" resistant as it holds up to all those swings and hard hits on the clubs. I've never had a club head come off unless I was taking it off.

Carbon Tech's "Rick's Glue" is a 48hr epoxy. Mammoth sold by bishop archery is a 72hr epoxy. I don't know much about them, but would be curious if they work better then a 24hr epoxy.

OP
M

murf45

WKR
I think the flexibility is important to keep the insert from breaking free. I think that's what you get with an epoxy with a longer cure time, but I have zero experience with them. I've always used a insert glue and been less then impressed with performance. I'm also kicking around the idea of using Kimsha Quick-Stick. I spoke with the guys at Grizzlystik archery and they had nothing but good to say. It will either be the kimsha or a good 2 part epoxy.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Carbon Tech's "Rick's Glue" is a 48hr epoxy. Mammoth sold by bishop archery is a 72hr epoxy. I don't know much about them, but would be curious if they work better then a 24hr epoxy.

I've never heard of those. Can't imagine anything working better than the HIT 24-hour epoxy. It's never been an issue even on hard hits.