Vanes for 4-Fletch

Outwest

WKR
I have been experimenting lately with 4-fletch arrows. I am nearly sold that they will stabilize your arrow faster and produce drag that will steer a little better.

I am currently running 4 1.75" bohning x vanes on my target arrows and I love the way they fly.

On my hunting arrows, I fletched them up with 4 blazers but I feel like it is almost overkill. I am thinking about going to a lower profile vane to 4 fletch with.

If you run a 4-fletch, what vanes are you using and what led you to those?

JasonWi

WKR
I'm running 4 fletch AAE max stealth vanes. I am running the VAP 98 grain SS in/outsert on the front of my arrows so the additional tail end weight of the fletching isn't causing any accuracy issues out to 80 yards.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ya, I would never do a 4-fletch with regular Blazers. You could do a 4-fletch with mini-Blazers. I chose the Q2i Fusion Xii 2.1" vanes and love them.

Attachments

• 100_3756.jpg
    100_3756.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 201
OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
Thanks for the input.

5Milesback,

I was really considering those vanes as a choice because I would keep the length but it would be lower profile. I mostly shoot mechanicals or small fixed blades. Do you notice any steering issues from a smaller vane profile?

I am curious about the correlation between total vane surface area (i.e... all 4 vanes) and steering/stabilization capability.

d3ntalbliss

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running the heat vanes by bohning. I like them, but I continue to tinker and am trying some aae pro max.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
I have been shooting Vanetec V-Max 2-inch. They have been very good for me in wind, at long distance, and with fixed/mechanical broadheads. I haven't tried any other 4 fletch because these have worked so well. I use 3 degree right helical on BE Rampages. Make sure if you get them you get the ones with the new logo, the old style are a slightly different shape, less stiff, and are lighter...they suck. I bought two colors from Lancaster a few years ago and there were some of each. I make sure when I get them now that they are all new logos. Fortunately the last few bags I've bought have all been new logos. The new logos have a big X through the Vanetec.

I tried the Heat and the Ice by Bohning. I like the heat and hate the ice.

I had to move my fletching back closer to the nocks as compared to where my normal Blazers were located.

You will love 4 fletch. My groups tightened up a little and I am glad I switched.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
5Milesback,

I was really considering those vanes as a choice because I would keep the length but it would be lower profile. I mostly shoot mechanicals or small fixed blades. Do you notice any steering issues from a smaller vane profile?

I haven't noticed it with the 4-vanes at all. I did notice some inconsistency when I tried these with just three vanes with fixed heads, like 125gr Shuttle T's and Strikers. I shot my bull in 2016 with these in a 3-fletch and a GR Fatal Steel mechanical, but I have since gone to all 4-fletch.

Like the blue

So do I. My favorite color, matches my eyes. They really show up well in the woods too.

I haven't noticed it with the 4-vanes at all. I did notice some inconsistency when I tried these with just three vanes with fixed heads, like 125gr Shuttle T's and Strikers. I shot my bull in 2016 with these in a 3-fletch and a GR Fatal Steel mechanical, but I have since gone to all 4-fletch.

So do I. My favorite color, matches my eyes. They really show up well in the woods too.

I had a similar experience with a 3 fletch superspines by vanetec. Never did try them in a 4 fletch

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a similar experience with a 3 fletch superspines by vanetec. Never did try them in a 4 fletch

I used 2" QS Speed Hunter vanes for 10 years, and they are fantastic for stabilizing every BH I ever tried, but I wanted a lower profile vane and these fit the bill. The 2.1" in a 4-fletch fly the same as the Q2i Fusion Xii 3" vanes in a 3-fletch. So the surface area and drag must be pretty equal.

4 Fletching VaneTec V Maxx 2.5 inch !

I have been shooting Vanetec V-Max 2-inch. They have been very good for me in wind, at long distance, and with fixed/mechanical broadheads. I haven't tried any other 4 fletch because these have worked so well. I use 3 degree right helical on BE Rampages. Make sure if you get them you get the ones with the new logo, the old style are a slightly different shape, less stiff, and are lighter...they suck. I bought two colors from Lancaster a few years ago and there were some of each. I make sure when I get them now that they are all new logos. Fortunately the last few bags I've bought have all been new logos. The new logos have a big X through the Vanetec.
Thank you, for that info, Gumbo,.. JUST what I wanted to hear ! I was shooting 100 gr. Broadhead's yesterday and noticed a "Corkscrew" effect sometimes with, 3 vanes, 2.5 inch V Max, 3* helical and was getting a lot more, wind "Drift" than usual ! I will be going to, a 4 Fletch today !
I "was" using 3, 3" VaneTec's V Maxes and they "worked" good, but my "center shot" riser DNA SP Bow, was getting just a touch of "Lipstick" on the Riser so I went to the lower profile, 2.5 inch V Max ! YUP my vanes have, the big X in the middle, yippee ! Thanks again !

Gumbo

WKR
Thank you, for that info, Gumbo,.. JUST what I wanted to hear ! I was shooting 100 gr. Broadhead's yesterday and noticed a "Corkscrew" effect sometimes with, 3 vanes, 2.5 inch V Max, 3* helical and was getting a lot more, wind "Drift" than usual ! I will be going to, a 4 Fletch today !
I "was" using 3, 3" VaneTec's V Maxes and they "worked" good, but my "center shot" riser DNA SP Bow, was getting just a touch of "Lipstick" on the Riser so I went to the lower profile, 2.5 inch V Max ! YUP my vanes have, the big X in the middle, yippee ! Thanks again !
Hope it works for you too!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hope it works for you too!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I will try to remember to let everyone know, how they worked, in a couple of Days ! I had a few "Corkscrews" with them, in 3 Fletch,.. disappointing as hell (using Striker 100's and VPA vented 100's). With Field points the 3 fletch V Maxes, shot like "Lazers" and very accurate ! PIA to 4 Fletch, but I have read that lots, of guys like, the 4 fletch for "Hunting" with, Fixed B-H's ! My son is shooting 4, 3" V Maxes at 68 lbs, 288 FT sec ( 505 Grain arrows) shoots killer groups, to 80 yards !
He plastered, a Bull Moose and a 5x5 Elk, 2 years ago (both pass thru's) with the 505 gr arrows @ 15% FOC ! Both animals went less than 35 yards after being hit.

I will try to remember to let everyone know, how they worked, in a couple of Days ! I had a few "Corkscrews" with them, in 3 Fletch,.. disappointing as hell (using Striker 100's and VPA vented 100's). With Field points the 3 fletch V Maxes, shot like "Lazers" and very accurate ! PIA to 4 Fletch, but I have read that lots, of guys like, the 4 fletch for "Hunting" with, Fixed B-H's ! My son is shooting 4, 3" V Maxes at 68 lbs, 288 FT sec ( 505 Grain arrows) shoots killer groups, to 80 yards !
He plastered, a Bull Moose and a 5x5 Elk, 2 years ago (both pass thru's) with the 505 gr arrows @ 15% FOC ! Both animals went less than 35 yards after being hit.
With 3 Vanes and Broadhead's I was having "Corkscrew" arrow flight about, 1 out of every 3 or 4 shots! Now, my arrows look like, high speed Darts,.. YIPPEE !!! Slightly lower POI but, easily adjusted for ! I shot 30, 40, 50 yards, NO problems with, a fast spiral "dart like", flight ! My new arrow weighs 460 grains, just under 15% FOC W/ 4, 2.5 inch V-Maxes, 3* Helical, on Gold Tip 340 XT's with, a 50 Grain insert + a 20 grain Fact, under a 100 grain G5 Striker or VPA vented BH and both BH's shoot to the SAME POI.
Good Luck all and thanks, Gumbo !

Scottyboy

WKR
I have NIB (40) AAE max stealth in Black “nock on” edition, you pay the shipping (call it $7 to buy a envelope and shipping) and they are yours. Nothing wrong with them, I just ended up finding a 4 fletch factory arrow to hold me over until I can buy everything needed to fletch my own.

Sorry I have nothing relevant to add :) supposedly these are lower profile and fly well for Dudley..

I have NIB (40) AAE max stealth in Black “nock on” edition, you pay the shipping (call it $7 to buy a envelope and shipping) and they are yours. Nothing wrong with them, I just ended up finding a 4 fletch factory arrow to hold me over until I can buy everything needed to fletch my own.

Sorry I have nothing relevant to add :) supposedly these are lower profile and fly well for Dudley..

Haha, I can lose an arrow just fine without your help, thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk