Arrow weight

So I was listening to some podcasts while driving for work this week and it got me thinking about my arrow weight. I haven’t put much thought in them the last year but it has me thinking. I have a short draw, 27” and pull 65 lbs, elite impulse 34. Arrow weight 366.4 victory rip elites 350, 100 grain heads, shooting at 286 fps. I shoot slick tricks. Well I start bear hunting here in a month or so and I am unsure about my setup. Am I overthinking this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A month out i wouldnt change anything. What you have will do the job. Heavier arrows do have there advantages but i wouldnt change your set up this close to season. Come back to it after season is over.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I think your light yes. As to if you should switch it up that’s up to you.
Seems like you have trepidation’s about the set up and that isn’t a good thing going into a hunt.

amp713

WKR
So 366 arrow plus 100 gr heads for 466 total weight??? That number is just fine

You could easily add a 125 gr tip, and sighting in would be minimal work. That would get you to391 AND not penalize your fps too much.
Honestly I would do that.

*edit- this is assuming you have enough spine to handle it, which seems likely based on your specs of DL.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd up my weight. I've killed whitetail with that light of a set up but after shooting heavy for several years now, I much prefer the penetration I get with 520 or more.

Live2hunt custom shelters

Ucsdryder

WKR
366 is too light in my opinion. I shoot a 500 gr arrow. If I were you I’d find something in the 450+ category. A month is plenty of time.

Trial153

WKR
Just guessing based on your weight you shooting a 28 inch shaft . Here is a quick way to add weight without getting new arrows. Cut those rips back to 26.5.....then add brass hits at 75 grains and you should be at about 400 grains. You have plenty of clearance shooting slick tricks out of that i34.

amp713

WKR
I'd be careful adding too much weight up front, you could toss on a 175 gr solid head but then you've got a head that weighs almost as much as your arrow. I'd do a 125g large cutting diameter expandable to get you by for this hunt then get all new arrows with a better weight. I've been shooting 500 g average for 10 years. This year I went a little wild though ha

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Thanks for the replies! I was trying to convince myself it was okay but when you shoot 180 grain bullets for everything,I feel I should treat my bow the same. My arrows are cut to 27 inches right now. I am going to pick up a scale today to double check that weight.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I'd be careful adding too much weight up front, you could toss on a 175 gr solid head but then you've got a head that weighs almost as much as your arrow. I'd do a 125g large cutting diameter expandable to get you by for this hunt then get all new arrows with a better weight. I've been shooting 500 g average for 10 years. This year I went a little wild though ha

Any suggestions on arrows? I was hoping that victory had a way to add brass without cutting/gluing. So far that hasn’t been the case. I am in need of arrows so I just figure now is a good time.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
Just guessing based on your weight you shooting a 28 inch shaft . Here is a quick way to add weight without getting new arrows. Cut those rips back to 26.5.....then add brass hits at 75 grains and you should be at about 400 grains. You have plenty of clearance shooting slick tricks out of that i34.

27 inch length. Plus the outsert victory has.

Brendan

WKR
My advice - leave your current arrows as is. Don't want to mess things up too close to your hunt. Maybe put on 125 grain heads and test those to see how they fly.

If you want new arrows, 5mm Easton Axis 340 would be a good choice if you want to stay with a smaller diameter shaft. 50 grain brass HIT insert with 100 grain head would put you around 440gr. And you could bump up with a 75 grain insert or a 125 grain head. Speeds should be in the 250-270 range depending on how you build them. Personally - I'd do the 50 grain insert, and then choose between 100 or 125 grain heads.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, if you are BH tuned shooting lights out with your setup....I probably wouldn't mess with it.

Personally I like a heavier arrow, heavier spine and COC head. Many advantages to that over what you are shooting now.

OR Archer

WKR
I’m a 27” draw also. I try and build my arrows to be between 425-450. It’s a good compromise between speed and weight. Haven’t had any issues with penetration.
You could build a 300 Axis cut to 27”. Add a 50gr brass insert with 100gr head. You’d be around 450-460 depending on what fletching you choose.

OP
WyoBowhunter21
I’m a 27” draw also. I try and build my arrows to be between 425-450. It’s a good compromise between speed and weight. Haven’t had any issues with penetration.
You could build a 300 Axis cut to 27”. Add a 50gr brass insert with 100gr head. You’d be around 450-460 depending on what fletching you choose.
I haven't shot those before but it sounds like those are a good arrow. What are you getting for speed? Not that it matters but I am trying to figure out that question for my sight tape. I just changed my whole sight and went to the quivalizer so I will try to pick up some of those arrows. Do you guys that shoot those axis get the brass inserts from somewhere online?