For Spot & Stalk Compound Bow Hunters Only

How many pins does your sight have? Curious to compare the numbers between those using single pins and those using 7 pins and everything in between. (Note: If you are planning to upgrade tell us how and why). I am in the process of going from 5 pins to 7 for ground pounder hunts out west and especially for the NWT.

big44a4

WKR
Hogg father with double pin. Also could make more marks like Cameron Hanes used to do if wanted a 3 pin or more. But can just shoot in the middle for different yardages. Holdover isn’t as critical of a factor as guessing the yardage when it comes to crunch time IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
3 Pin MBG

I run 25-35-45. My middle pin is the floater. When it floated over 50 the pins become 5 under and over. Under 50 yards they become 10 under and over

Gumbo

WKR
MBG custom 6 pin slider w/ big guard. I'd go 5 pins before 7, especially because I use a slider. With my arrow speeds gapping 60-70 is tough, let alone 70-80. And 5 pins is easy to decipher, 6 is doable, but 7 was tricky for me. For me, pin color is critical to quickly determining which to use. I always go green, green, yellow, green, green for 5 pins. I added a red 70 for my MBG.

Beendare

WKR
I had a 7 pin SH, went back to 5 pins. I do 25,40,50,60,70.....and can gap a little bit longer if I have to do a followup shot on a wounded animal at longer range.

I just didn't use the longer pins on the 7 much.....especially hunting. It was overkill for me and it got a little confusing in that mid range pin selection. The 5 pin is faster for me, YMMV.

H82miss

FNG
MBG single pin, set on 50 yards. I use the trick pin system, so I can shoot within a 6" window 10-42 yards (with my current setup). With my new setup that is on backorder, which will increase my arrow speed a bit, I think I'll be able to stretch it to 10-46 yards.
See:
The "Trick-Pin" System - Rokslide
I can't stand the clutter and confusion a multi pin system causes me. I'm a simpleton, I prefer 1 pin, no clutter and no trying to figure out what pin is what.

Longshot

Lil-Rokslider
5 pin cbe hybrid tek- too many pins. next tried single pin mbg- not enough pins/too much messing around as you stalk closer. currently mbg 4 pin slider: 30, 40, 50, 60. hold 2" low for a 20 yard shot. anything over 60 i should have time to dial. still have the ability to practice/play out to 120

marktole

WKR
3 pin MBG slider. 25, 40, 50. Just recently dropped my 4th pin for 60 yards and I like how much less clutter I perceive with 3 vs 4 pins. Been toying with the idea of trying a single pin, but haven’t as I like having pins setup for point of aim, point of impact out to 50 yards. That covers a good majority of shots I take. And if I need to shoot farther I would say I usually have time to range, dial, and shoot so 3 pins strikes a good balance for me. Also, all my pins are .010 instead of .019 and I like that a lot better, especially for shooting longer shots.

kicker338

WKR
See if I can stir the pot a little here, EZV SIGHT I think most of you have seen me post about it a number of times so lets go a little deeper into the concept behind the sight, it was designed pretty much the subject of range and pin gapping. I well understand pin gapping,
trick- pin or what ever you want to call it. For yrs. I used a 3 pin setup, 40, 50,and 60yds. Messed up on an elk a few. yrs. ago with trying
to use a hand held range finder.

Now after having an EZV sight, I'm sure that would have been a dead elk. I've repeated that same situation a number of times on 3D
targets, V the target, I get a rough rage that puts me in the heart lung area kill zone and gives me a pin gap at the same time. V the
animal, range and aim all at the same time. I was at my local club range the other night and had a member who was interested in the
sight and showed him the same sequence on a papet bulls eye target using the V only. I deliberately rushed my shots to mimic a quick
shot in a hunting situation. Long story short the guy was impressed, as he told me he had heard about the sight but really questioned
as to whether it was some gimmick to get a guy's money, no more questioning now.

kicker338

WKR
Need to add one more thought about the EZV sight, keep in mind that it is NOT a target sight all though you can shoot some pretty tight groups with it, I do it all the time just as most everyone who has one does.

This sight was designed by a hunter for hunters, to be more accurate it was designed by a hunter for himself only. Too many guy's seeing it wanted to know if he would make one for them was what brought the sight to market.

N2TRKYS

WKR
MBG single pin, set on 50 yards. I use the trick pin system, so I can shoot within a 6" window 10-42 yards (with my current setup). With my new setup that is on backorder, which will increase my arrow speed a bit, I think I'll be able to stretch it to 10-46 yards.
See:
I can't stand the clutter and confusion a multi pin system causes me. I'm a simpleton, I prefer 1 pin, no clutter and no trying to figure out what pin is what.

I had never heard of the trick pin system until now. After reading the write up I can see why I've never heard of it. Glad it works for you, though.

nexus

FNG
See:

This....just another tool in the toolbox.

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I had a 7 pin but switched to a Option sight with 5 fixed pins. Personally 7 pins was just too many and made it over complicated.

5 pin MBG ascent slider (20-60). I like to have my options. Most shots are taken without the adjustment of the slider but it sure is fun to practice out to 80-100 yards.

FlyGuy

WKR
Axcel 5 pin Slider. Pins for 20-60, slide for longer shots with detents set at 70, 80, 90, 100. I still have one or two more detents if I want to go further, but I can't find a place to shoot that far. I really can't ask for anything more.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk