Help me choose a Release

Majja

FNG
At teh moment I am looking at the Tru Fire Hardcore release or the Truglo Dominator. I am just getting back to the sport adn upgrading a lot. This will be my first piece of kit that is getting replaced. I would welcome any and all opinions. I am here in the west so I do not hunt form a tree stand.

Thank You
Matt

You're likely going to get a ton of different models recommended. I've been using a Carter Like Mike for 2 years and like it a lot. Much better feel and hold than the Spot Hogg Wiseguy and the Tru-Fire Smoke I used before.

Like you I'm in the west. Hunting on my feet, not an ATV or truck. The Carter has been in all range of temps from single digits to 80*, in the snow, rain, wind, dust, smacking itself into rocks, trees, etc. Never had any issues with it. I'm planning to get another Like Mike or one of their similar releases for a back up.

boom

WKR
choose wisely. i chose an old truball..something. it has been so long the name escapes me. dang!
'
i've upgraded bows a few times, but that release stays put. i really need that contact point to the bow to stay consistent. i luckily have two exact ones. it feels so weird changing triggers.

i am gonna go lefty soon..i'll get a new release then, because everything will feel wrong right from the getgo.

OP
M

Majja

FNG
Thanks for all the info. My very first release was a thumb/ pinky release. I thought about going back to one. But I am not sure how I would like the size when wearing out the boot leather.

Outwest

WKR
If you are sticking with an index finger release, I recommend the Spot Hogg Wiseguy for a lighter trigger or the Tru Ball Short n Sweet if you prefer a heavier trigger. Don't skimp on a release, it will pay dividends in accuracy if you go with a quality release with a crisp, adjustable trigger.
I have been very happy with my short n sweet so far.

I would also look into Carter. Though I have never shot one, I have only heard good things.

Welcome to Rokslide!

Gumbo

WKR
I would say get a Carter in whatever style you want to shoot. The triggers are absolutely crisp with no travel, which for me at least is critical for good shooting. I went away from wrist straps a few years ago and won't go back. Thumb releases, like the Wise Choice, are great for hunting and allow shooting with backtension as well as triggering a shot if you need to make it happen fast when hunting. Kind of the best of both worlds. If you do go thumb, I recommend one with an index hole, it makes it easier to manipulate objects like a rangefinder with the release in your hand.

TheTone

WKR
Another thing to consider if you go with a index finger is getting one with actual trigger pressure/weight adjustment adjustment. I've got two carters set up with the same heavy spring which allows me to shoot them with some back tension and makes them harder for me to punch. I bought my wife some type of scott that advertised weight adjustment but it doesn't have it. What is does have is some adjustment to trigger travel but it doesn't effect the trigger weight, to me the trigger is way too light and the release pretty much useless except as a back up in the field if something goes wrong with your primary release.

jmez

WKR
Consider that the lighter the trigger on an index finger release the easier they are to punch and they promote bad shooting habits. The Scott release should be adjustable with different springs. If you don't have any extra springs email them and they will send them for nothing.