Draw Length

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
So I used the below method to figure out my draw length, any opinions on if it will be accurate. I am planning on purchasing a new bow and my draw length is 31 inches. Is that going to be an issue, I see that the majority of the bows only come in 30 inch draw max, What bows have a 31 inch draw...

For the people that don’t have a shop close by or prefer to figure out their draw length on their own, there is a fail-safe method that only requires a tape measure and a calculator. To do this the shooter being measured should stand with his/her back against the wall and measure the wingspan (tip-to-tip of the fingers). Make sure the palms are forward, not against the wall and that the shooter isn’t stretching. When the measurement is found (in inches), divide that number by 2.5 and the resulting number will be proper draw length. For instance, my wingspan is 72.75 inches, so 72.75/2.5 is 29.1” and I shoot a 29” draw length. For almost all shooters, this method is very accurate and the most simple route.

Thanks

Jbehredt

WKR
It will be close. Be sure to round down. Better to be half an inch short than a half inch long. Most every major manufacturer (hoyt, bowtech, prime, elite, pse, Mathews?) makes a long draw bow. It will generally be their longer axle to axle model. Geometry dictates that.

Gumbo

WKR
The wingspan method isn't gospel, I shoot 3/4 to 1-inch longer than that. Dudley's method/technique puts people into longer draw lengths, especially w/ shorter ATA bows.

Maybe I missed something, but why do you need a 31 inch draw when you said you shoot a 29?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
There are a few methods to use and I would try all 3 and then average or take the lowest one. I have an 81.5" wingspan so by the dividing by 2.5 it comes to 32.6". Another method takes the 81.5 and subtracts 15 then divides by two, which comes to 33.25. Then you can make a fist with your bow hand and put it against the wall and with your arm straight measure from the wall to the corner of your mouth, and that gets me 32.5". So I generally shoot 32.5", but some bows can be long or short. And you can also adjust some bows a little longer or shorter as well.

Plenty of bows that go to 31" draw out there. I would get a bow that adjusts draw length easily without changing cams.

OP
K

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I dont shoot a 29, that paragraph was just copied and pasted from an example off the internet that I found on how to measure it. after i did the measurements it showed I should be using a 31, thanks for all the quick responses...

With the wingspan method, I get a draw length of 29”. With Dudley’s method, I get 28.5”. I shoot a 28.5” draw carbon defiant 34 with proper form. I had my friend help me do Dudley’s method and I took several photos before and after measurements to make sure i maintained proper form which is why I feel it came out so accurately. I think the wingspan method could be off by a lot depending on how close to average your build is. Hope this helps at all. To me, Dudley’s, when performed correctly, makes the most sense that it would be accurate.

MCR

FNG
With the wingspan method, I get a draw length of 29”. With Dudley’s method, I get 28.5”. I shoot a 28.5” draw carbon defiant 34 with proper form. I had my friend help me do Dudley’s method and I took several photos before and after measurements to make sure i maintained proper form which is why I feel it came out so accurately. I think the wingspan method could be off by a lot depending on how close to average your build is. Hope this helps at all. To me, Dudley’s, when performed correctly, makes the most sense that it would be accurate.

I agree with this ^^^^^
Watch John Dudley's youtube video on measuring for proper draw length. His method gave me the most accurate measurement.