hello. help please. i'm shopping for a new bow, and gonna switch up manufacturers.

boom

WKR
i currently shoot a RIGHT hand 2014 Elite Energy 35.

i think i want to try to buy a USED bow. hench the confusion below:

i am gonna make some major changes. what i want.
LEFT HAND
33-34 ATA, 7" BH, 60lb limbs, and a Carbon Hoyt. Hoyt Carbon Spyder 34? i simply dont know the recently discontinued bows to fully understand what i should shop for. what years? i dont want to go to far back...i want to find some left handed person, looking and chasing the lastest and greatest:D

is the Carbon Spyder 34 the closest to my dream specs? when did that bow come out (to help me search).

thanks you all!! i think a lefty 60lb (max) bow, in 28" DL is gonna be hard to find.

and OH! the used bows sellers are NOT always listing draw length. they just tell us what # cam it has. what cam number coincides with 28" DL. and i would want a smooth drawing cam. i think HOYT has various cam options? swapping to the left, i think i need smooth the most.

thanks again.

I believe the carbon spyder 34 was a 2014 bow? I might be mistaken, as I switched to Xpedition from Hoyt, but I believe that 28" is at the upper end of a 2 cam and at the lower end of a 3 cam

jmez

WKR
There will be some trade offs with the Hoyt's and their cam size. If smooth is more important to you than performance then you will want to look for a bow that has the 28 inch module at the bottom of the range. When you do that, the cam doesn't rotate as far. This gives a smoother draw and is easier shooting. You will lose some speed though as the cam isn't going through it's full range of motion. The opposite applies when you go with a cam that has 28 at the top of the range.

For a 2014 34 the #2 cam goes from 27-29 inches, #3 cam 29-31. Not really a choice on that bow but to use the #2 cam and be right in the middle.

Here is a link to the Hoyt tune charts. You can look at all their bows, past and present and get the cam specs from the various models.

Tune Charts | Hoyt.com

OP
B

boom

WKR
There will be some trade offs with the Hoyt's and their cam size. If smooth is more important to you than performance then you will want to look for a bow that has the 28 inch module at the bottom of the range. When you do that, the cam doesn't rotate as far. This gives a smoother draw and is easier shooting. You will lose some speed though as the cam isn't going through it's full range of motion. The opposite applies when you go with a cam that has 28 at the top of the range.

For a 2014 34 the #2 cam goes from 27-29 inches, #3 cam 29-31. Not really a choice on that bow but to use the #2 cam and be right in the middle.

Here is a link to the Hoyt tune charts. You can look at all their bows, past and present and get the cam specs from the various models.

Tune Charts | Hoyt.com

super helpful!! thanks.

the Defiant 34 is also a contender!! now to start looking.

Classified section here usually has good deals and also AT will have more. You can get bows right now for peanuts since all the new models are out and guys are starting to sell off their rigs to fund purchases for the new stuff.

Lefty as well. Yes, it's difficult to find a LH model for a decent price. I shoot a CS 34 I bought in 2015 before they discontinued them for the Defiant line. Bought a Defiant 34 in 2016 and sold it as it didn't perform the way I wanted.

I have the #2 cam shooting 28-1/2 on DL. Reports I have read vary, but the new RX-1's are similar to the Z5 cam.

No way I can justify a Carbon RX-1 just to have it when the CS 34 likely shoots very similar...

OP
B

boom

WKR
Lefty as well. Yes, it's difficult to find a LH model for a decent price. I shoot a CS 34 I bought in 2015 before they discontinued them for the Defiant line. Bought a Defiant 34 in 2016 and sold it as it didn't perform the way I wanted.

I have the #2 cam shooting 28-1/2 on DL. Reports I have read vary, but the new RX-1's are similar to the Z5 cam.

No way I can justify a Carbon RX-1 just to have it when the CS 34 likely shoots very similar...

oh, you know you want a new bow ;)

hahah..thanks. what didnt you like about the Defiant? just asking..i know jackdidley about Hoyt actually.

you have the Z5 cams now?

Yes, Z5 came out in 2014. Had the Defiant 34 and lost too much speed for my liking. In order to get what I wanted, had to out 80# limbs on it and shoot at 75, which I didn't care for.

OP
B

boom

WKR
man. this lefty thing is gonna be a challenge. getting a bow!

i am now mindful of the challenges the left hander see..i got a peek!

OP
B

boom

WKR

Tune Charts | Hoyt.com

thanks!! that link was instrumental!!

Wellsdw

WKR
Just an idea ...I’ve had a spyder 34 and the bear arena34. Pretty close specs, similar performance (I liked the bear slightly better) but you can find bears cheaper not to mention Bear is Very easy to work with. So if you found a lefty it my be worth a look. Just a thought.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
If you are on facebook, there are a few different groups that you can join that buy sale and trade bows and equipment. And specific to hoyt.
Just proceed with caution, but it might be a good place to find a what you are looking for. Ive seen left handed hoyts on there before.

I have to retract my previous statement. The RX-1 shoots noticeably different than the CS 34 in a good way. One is the ability to get on target quicker. With the bigger limb and increased resultant weight on bottom, the line of action of movement is more inline with the riser rather than weight out front as with a stabilizer wanting to roll the bow forward (think cantilever beams and bending moments). The shot on release is "clean", if that makes any sense, similar to the Xpedition line, I thought. As far as noise, all bows are noisy to the shooter especially at an indoor range in the dealers shop shooting at a foam target 10 ft away.

The bow shoots well and balances well. To me, the draw cycle doesn't have the traditional "hump and dump". Hoyt did well on this bow.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord