HOYT REDWRX Carbon RX-1 Ultra build and review

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I hear ya, don’t get caught up in silly debates. Just put your knowledge out there because there are plenty who want hear what you have to say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Slim Jim, it's been fun putting the vids together. If it helps someone, it'll all be worth it.

Tilzbow

WKR
I’m interested to see how yours tuned up. My was challenging until I replaced the stock grip with the old style Hoyt Pro Fit wood grip that no one else but me seems to like... The new X Act grip just doesn’t seem to fit me, nor did side plates.

OR Archer

WKR
Me too, i’ve Got a nock high tear with the ultra, and I’ve been through the ringer trying to get it out

How do you have the bow set up? Draw length and weight? Arrow configuration? The Ultra is a super easy bow to tune. If you post up your information I'm sure we can help you get it figured out.

Slim Jim

WKR
Pretty cool so far Tony. I’ve never put thread on both sides for my nock. I usually just do one. Gonna try that next time. I’m always worried about nock pinch and my local bow shop guy just laughs at me

Bones

WKR
Following. Thanks for putting this together.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Pretty cool so far Tony. I’ve never put thread on both sides for my nock. I usually just do one. Gonna try that next time. I’m always worried about nock pinch and my local bow shop guy just laughs at me

Most pro shops are to busy to really do justice to setting up a bow the way I want it done. They would have to charge a lot more than they do for the basic setup. If a basic setup and "tune" cost $50, not many people buying a bow are gonna want to choose the $200 setup and tune "comprehensive version" and I don't blame them.
Once I realized that the only way to get my bow exactly where I wanted it and for it to stay the way I wanted it to, I dove in head first to doing everything myself.
I am still learning all the time.

SwampBone

FNG
Looking forward to what you come up with as far as tuning and accessories. I just traded a Halon-x for the Ultra today and found this thread. Same 35 ATA but a night and day difference. Lost some money in the process. Please include your arrow selection. I’m at 70# draw weight with 300 grain .166 arrows.

OR Archer

WKR
Another tip for guys setting these up. Tony touched on not being able to use a level on the limbs as they’re not equal. You can add a 1/4” block to your level. This will make up for the uneven limb widths. Makes leveling sights so much easier.

Awesome! The ultra would be my pick too. Just based on specs alone. I wish Hoyt would bring back the longer ata turbos like the days of the vector turbo.

The RX series look very nice! I’m sure they are shooters

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Looking forward to what you come up with as far as tuning and accessories. I just traded a Halon-x for the Ultra today and found this thread. Same 35 ATA but a night and day difference. Lost some money in the process. Please include your arrow selection. I’m at 70# draw weight with 300 grain .166 arrows.

I will certainly share my arrow selection and why I choose it.

Ten Bears

WKR
Put my Carbon Defiant Turbo I just built up for sale today and bought a RX1 Ultra. Never quite felt comfortable with the Turbo, looking forward to following your progress/build. Gonna take some notes. Thanks for doing this. Very timely and appreciated.

-John

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Here is the new video.

I went over setting up a limb driven rest.

*forgot to add* To start I put the center of the arrow at 13/16" off from the carbon riser and vertically through the center of the berger hole. That will give me a starting point and fine tuning horizontal and vertical adjustments will happen during bare shaft tuning.

The bow draws smooth and has solid wall, much more solid than any previous Hoyt that I have owned but I never installed the optional limb stops on the Carbon Defiant.

Set up of a limb operated drop away rest on the Hoyt REDWRX RX-1 Ultra - YouTube