150g Deep Six

TBarron

WKR
I have a grizz/goat hunt coming up in September and was super stoked when I saw the solid 150g deep six iron wills. I was wanting to give these a shot but was curious what you would use for field points for practice? Obviously I would BH tune, but the idea of sacrificing one or two just for practice at that price point makes me cringe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't find any 150 gr field points in Deep Six? I've never looked, but I didn't know they'd be impossible to find. You could always use a 125 gr; there's not that much flight difference with 25 grains.

But even if you do use the IWs for practice, they hold their edge extremely well and sharpen up well too.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
You can't find any 150 gr field points in Deep Six? I've never looked, but I didn't know they'd be impossible to find. You could always use a 125 gr; there's not that much flight difference with 25 grains.

But even if you do use the IWs for practice, they hold their edge extremely well and sharpen up well too.

Yeah can’t find 150g deep six field pts anywhere.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Maybe a better question is should I even change anything? Here’s where I’m at currently with my deep 6 FMJ and 125g head
0ccabc55726cca9bbc27290bce06e5de.jpg

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
I just glued an extra insert into my carbon injexions...with the added 20 grains of weight and a 125 grain head, I'm kinda shooting a 145 grain head. I'm trying the schwacker stainless mechanical head.

6.5Express

Lil-Rokslider
Just re read my reply and it sounds confusing and likely won't help you unless you stepped down to a 125 grain broadhead. Sorry

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Well guess I could do that for just the practice arrows

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I've only ever been able to get the 125 gn field points as well. So I've been shooting 125 gn broad heads. Would love to find something heavier in a deep six.

cooperjd

WKR
A grizz/goat hunt sounds like the trip of a lifetime. My question to you is why do you shoot arrows that require d6 inserts? Why limit yourself like that for such an adventure?
For your question of should you change anything... I don’t elk hunt with an arrow that light (476gr according to your post), no way I’d go after a grizz with that arrow. 575-600 gr would be my target. You might drop down to 270fps or so but there will not be much change in your trajectory. I shoot a 642 gr arrow at 275fps have no problem getting my pins set 20-80y.

As far as the iron wills go, you’d be amazed at their edge retention. I do not know how many times I shot mine into targets and would still shave my arm. I barely touched it to a stone and my strop and was ready for hunting season.

Brendan

WKR
So - couple things.

First are those actual speeds, or estimates based on IBO? Looks like an estimate, so you're probably running slower if I had to guess. Looks suspiciously like my Hoyt CD Turbo - and my actual IBO speed was around 335-340 and we have the same DW/DL. I was on the #3 cam.

If you're actually running that fast though, I prefer more weight. I settled on a 505gr arrow and get around 285 fps.

Having done the D6 all last season - , if you're committed to staying with the 4mm arrow I would use 125 grain heads. If you need more weight - either add another insert to all your arrows for a little extra which keeps your hunting and practice arrows the same, or build new arrows and tap the backs of the inserts for GT FACT weights. You'd need to insert them from the back of the arrow. Depends how committed you are to 4mm arrows - you can build 5mm arrows with a brass insert and use standard thread broadheads...

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
So - couple things.

First are those actual speeds, or estimates based on IBO? Looks like an estimate, so you're probably running slower if I had to guess. Looks suspiciously like my Hoyt CD Turbo - and my actual IBO speed was around 335-340 and we have the same DW/DL. I was on the #3 cam.

If you're actually running that fast though, I prefer more weight. I settled on a 505gr arrow and get around 285 fps.

Having done the D6 all last season - , if you're committed to staying with the 4mm arrow I would use 125 grain heads. If you need more weight - either add another insert to all your arrows for a little extra which keeps your hunting and practice arrows the same, or build new arrows and tap the backs of the inserts for GT FACT weights. You'd need to insert them from the back of the arrow. Depends how committed you are to 4mm arrows - you can build 5mm arrows with a brass insert and use standard thread broadheads...

Yeah you nailed it, that’s the Bow I’m shooting. I guess I’m not totally married to 4mm arrows, but I shot them all last season, killed twice, and love the way they fly at long distances. I’m thinking I might spine down to a 280 then run the 125g BH that would get right in that same range you settled on. The other option would be to ditch the turbo cam and get a new rig with 80lb limbs and build an arrow out that’s closer to that 600g mark. What I really need is September to hurry up and get here so I can quit tinkering and just hunt...

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
I’ve talked myself into the 150g iron wills and will spine down to 280. This should get me to an arrow weight of 529g. Anyone have any experience going the 80lb route over the turbo on Hoyt’s as it relates to real chrono speed and KE?

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
How much do the inserts on the deep 6 arrows weight. I picked up some carbon express maxima red sd which are 5mm and the inserts were like 44 grains compared to my standard carbon arrows that were only 22 grains.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
I think they weigh 25g

RAPTOR

WKR
I’ve talked myself into the 150g iron wills and will spine down to 280. This should get me to an arrow weight of 529g. Anyone have any experience going the 80lb route over the turbo on Hoyt’s as it relates to real chrono speed and KE?

I will know when my RX1 comes in. I have an 80lb CST that is a beast. If you pop the nock out, you can glue another insert in behind your current insert and bump the weight a little, increasing FOC. If you're using a 125g FP for practice, it would get you close. I've done it, I used a coat hanger to push the insert all the way up.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
I will know when my RX1 comes in. I have an 80lb CST that is a beast. If you pop the nock out, you can glue another insert in behind your current insert and bump the weight a little, increasing FOC. If you're using a 125g FP for practice, it would get you close. I've done it, I used a coat hanger to push the insert all the way up.

Good call man! I’m going to try this. Did you shoot the turbo CST and compare it to the 80lb CST? Keep me posted on how you like your 80lb RX1. Seriously considering this route.