Hinge or Back Tension

OP
mfllood3800
I have a long history with archery. Am I a tournament grade shooter nope. Never entered one.
I just hunt and have a pretty consistent process, though a trainer will more than likely find a dozen things to help clean up my form. I am successful at getting on target (animals) and knocking them down, in fact I have trained at drawing back, acquiring and shooting very fast. Much in hunting tends to favor this, and as a result I think I allow the creeping in of punching to get it off asap. I have no intention of entering competition, or even a total archery type challenge. No time. I'm near retirement age so I am not hoping for a whole new process, yet I am always wanting to bring the best I can for the animals.
Every one's input has fit well into what I have learned and will help as I implement many of the things you shared.
Thx Again for taking the time to offer input.

OP
mfllood3800
So just an update:
I've been shooting the Carter Honey 2 about 30 arrows a day minimum.
It has improved my desire for trigger punching.

Then I went back to one of my index releases and curled my finger around it, and executed some back tension in the shot.
I'll be honest, it isn't a 100% back tension all the time with that just yet.
But my groups are incredibly different. I am starting to stack arrows even out to 70. Not all of them, but 3 or 4 out of my 7 shot groups.

I have ordered the Carter Evolution, which seems similar to the Silver back. I am hoping this will create a mechanics of driving the elbow, using the back muscles and properly pulling thru the shot.

I used to shoot 8 arrow groups but am down to 7 arrows.
I let the carter fly half way thru one of my shots. Yep I did that. I was working on keeping the release between the first 2 knuckles, and then relaxing the pointer finger to start the rotation- not a good idea for me and my hand. That is the only finger holding the release. My middle finger is pretty much useless and my thumb is the safety control . When I let off the safety, moved the thumb, I started to relax the pointer finger just a tad, and it was gone.
lol

I have a New Hamskea coming Friday. I have always wanted one (limb driven type), but my QAD's have been flawless. Well the QAD was no match for the Carter at 299 FPS. Can't believe I didn't get cut, or the bow or release tore up.
I will say the carter went down range and hit the 12 ring
;)

TheTone

WKR
Give the hinge and/or tension release a try on steep angles as that is where I have heard of more people having issues with getting them to fire and executing the shot with them.

Brendan

WKR
Carter Evolution and the Silverback are the same thing as far as I can tell - it's just dimensions. Dudley had all his releases designed as 2 finger releases as close in dimension as possible so you could use the Nock2It (Thumb), Silverback (Tension), or 2Smooth (Hinge) with the same form factor, without changing anchors, etc. They are all 2 finger releases with a little bit of a spot to hang a 3rd.

Something else that might work for you depending on how these others work - try out a wrist release like a Hamskea drop tine. While you still can punch the trigger if you want, you can adjust the tension pretty heavy so you have to be much more conscious and intentional about it.

I personally am practicing with the silverback now, and used the Nock2It all last season.

OP
mfllood3800
Yes I couldn't get the silver back so I ordered the evolution.

I was gonna get the wise choice, cause I can't get the Nock 2 it.

I just don't think a thumb will correct what is happening.

I am hoping the evo will

I feel like the Nock on Releases are for me, as I can only use thumb, and pointer finger any way
Lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Stan element is another option I'd highly suggest. I just ordered a perfect long neck for a thumb to try along side my element. Giving the hand held a try again we will see if it makes it to hunting season.

As I said before, your head has got to be in it, a resistance release is not an automatic fix, I can punch my element just as easy as I can punch my index. Good luck.

OP
mfllood3800
The evolution came in today
I set it up and shot some arrows, readjusted it until it was both safe and not so hard to execute

I left the spring in that it came with
I did experiment with 2 of the other springs, but ended up going back to the standard one.

This is the hinge I have wanted all along well maybe the Silverback but this one will work

The only way you can cheat this one is to set it very hot and quickly pull back

I shot about 25 arrows tonight with it and every time I shot I was touching shafts

Granted I was only shooting my first pain at 30 yards cuz I'm still a bit nervous hahaha but this is really what I have been after all along to get me where I want to be in my shot execution

I have gone through a few releases to find exactly what I want and I think this is a great tool that will help me with either a thumb release or a new 2 finger hinge for hunting
e7d8083ce4e8c89f372393569057ba48.jpg
c3243cc066036464a47dce4f5ad370c4.jpg
9b045bdd96d6b30540ebb9efe240a08a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk