Favorite airline bowcase

boom

WKR
i have a SKB. i think it is the 4116..cant remember maybe 4114. it is the double-bow case. mine comes with TSA locks. i can fit one bow easy, with pretty much all my camo gear, and incidentals stuffed in there. like my knife.

it is pretty sturdy. i have flown a lot with it. my lids is starting to warp a bit. my brother's (exact one) warped a LOT! he sent it to SKB and got a brand new case in the mail. i was blown away. it was fast too.

i think there are better, but i havent explored the other options because mine wont die. the new SKB cases are the iSeries or something. they look pretty good.

I recently flew with two bows on a 6 leg flight around Canada. Had the bow, a Prime Rival, plus the backup Mathews Creed in a Prime soft case packed with clothes around it. Tight Spot quiver off and an arrow tube plus release, allen wrenches, extra broadheads, etc in the soft case. Then the soft case and more clothes, sleeping bags (yes two, Arctic hunt) were put into a Cabelas Ripcord 42" long XL rolling duffel. Worked great!

Beendare

WKR
Since buying the Sitka Nomad.....I never use my SKB double anymore....the Nomad kills it.

It didn't used to be a big deal but now with the 50# baggage limits, the Nomad at 10.5# kills it.

Of course whatever case you use you need a good TSA proof packing system......

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
Could be a long shot but does anyone know of a case that isn't oversize baggage?

Bl704

WKR
Could be a long shot but does anyone know of a case that isn't oversize baggage?
Oversized definition varies some by airlines. Generally, if the sum of the length + width + height is 62" or less and weight is 50lbs or less your good.

The sitka nomad, some skb and some rifle cases (especially double or quads) tend to run into the oversize limits...or if you're carrying a lot of lead.

bates

WKR
I just pulled the trigger on the Enki USA double bow case

Will see what I think once it comes in but $299 on pre sale now.

I think a big roller duffel that doesn't look like it contains a bow is an advantage over a hard case that screams hunting gear, at least around the bigger cities. The XL Cabelas Ripcord rolling duffel is 42" long and 18" wide and stuffs to about 18" high. It cost me $26 in excess baggage charges when it was under 50#s, and $28 when it weighted 59# on a recent "long" Canadian trip. Not bad, considering one extra bag would have been $100. Good luck with it!

GotDraw?

WKR
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this.
Exactly what I need.
JL

I think a big roller duffel that doesn't look like it contains a bow is an advantage over a hard case that screams hunting gear, at least around the bigger cities. The XL Cabelas Ripcord rolling duffel is 42" long and 18" wide and stuffs to about 18" high. It cost me $26 in excess baggage charges when it was under 50#s, and $28 when it weighted 59# on a recent "long" Canadian trip. Not bad, considering one extra bag would have been $100. Good luck with it!

orbowhunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have an skb case that is rock solid. However I got a sitka nomad and I can definitely see that replacing the skb in the future.

Any ATA rated SKB case will do fine however, if you place other items in it (like a pack frame, extra gear, etc) make sure it can be easily opened and closed by a TSA agent with no Tetris skills. They really messed up my QAD HDX rest.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
SKB iSeries 4719 Double Bow Case

This thing is bomb proof!!! I was able to get all my gear for a 7 day hunt with no problems. I used my pack as a carry on with my food and optics.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Just 2 weeks ago I flew with my bow from the big Island of Hawaii via Maui and then Kauai to Dallas to Wisconsin (I shipped the bow to Hawaii and only flew home with it) I have a rather generic Plano case and used 2 TSA approved locks. I put extra padding in the case to protect everything and all went well. There was no rhyme or reason as to the charged. Hawaii air charges me $35 for one flight, $15 for another, American Airlines charged me $25.

QSnQzHH.jpg

1GrmfWa.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Well I've had that Sitka Nomad all over heck on many flights/different airlines and no one has said a word about it being oversized- it isn't.

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I'll say this about my experience with SKB bow case...
those airline handlers can be rough but worse are the conveyer belt systems, in and outside the airport gates that you cannot observe.
2x I've experienced considerable damage to the case; bent alum frame on ends, latches bent ajar, etc. AK airlines baggage centers calling my phone when it doesn't show in oversize baggage. typical airports I fly in/out of: SEA, SAN, SNA, SLC, PHX, Anchorage.
thank goodness for SKB protection.

...and here's the best part; upon inspection both times SKB replaced cases with a new one!

Last edited:

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
and a TSA tip
I wait and watch the TSA inspect my case at their station after initial check in. I have a note taped inside case; careful razor sharp tips in case.
sometimes as they open, I will say; "careful moving stuff around, there are sharp objects in case."
they usually pass their wand over the interior, never moving the bow, packed clothes. Of course my broadheads are not on the arrows but packed in other checked luggage in a secure container.
Before I did this, they took everything out of the case...and you all your packing efforts just went to waste.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
On my last flight I stayed to be present during inspection. They swiped my gear for explosive residue. Wile I shoot 700 grain arrows, I have not noticed any explosions ......... Yet.