Hey guys, first Bow hunt, need advice on BH's and sleeves for parka

micus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

I have hunted with my bow a couple times, never successfully however. I have just a cheap setup, I am a big time rifle guy and have a few custom rifles now. Where I live, there is only a 10 day bow season and then its rifles the rest of the year so there is little incentive to use the bow outside of personal challenge.

I am going on a bow hunt in a week and a half in Northern Alberta and wanted to run some things by you more knowledgeable guys.

Setup:
2015 Bowtech Fuel
Whisker Biscuit
Spot hogg bulletproof 3 pin
Current broadheads - rage extreme

I am wanting to ditch the rage's because I seem to constantly be battling the collar which retains the blades, eventually they pop out and rattle/jingle away which is annoying and may affect performance?!?

Is there a quality fixed blade that has same POI as a field point? I don't have a BH target to test/sight in on...

I am specifically hunting large European wild boar. I will be wearing my Sitka blizzard parka on this hunt which has super puffy sleeves. Are you guys wearing anything special to keep your sleeves out of the way of the strings??

looking for recommendations on BH, Grain weights, and the possible sleeve impedance.

Last year a couple guys had a bad hit on a boar in this section and were mauled by the pig apparently, so whatever inflicts the most damage the better lol.

thanks a ton for any input!!

Mike.

Brendan

WKR
Is there a quality fixed blade that has same POI as a field point? I don't have a BH target to test/sight in on...

Almost every fixed blade and mechanical will hit to the same POI if your bow is in tune and your form is good. You absolutely MUST broadhead tune your bow though - which involves shooting broadheads and field points at the same point, noting the difference, and making adjustments to your bow until there is no difference.

To recommend anything else about arrow, broadhead, grains, etc - we'd need to know your draw weight, draw length.

I'd personally use your current setup, buy some wac 'em 3 blade, and broadhead tune your bow which means finding or buying a broadhead target.

I personally have never had an issue with my sleeves on any bow I've shot. But, they do sell arm guards / elastics that will compress your sleeve for more clearance. If you're having clearance issues - it may be how you grip the bow.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've shot Thunderhead 100s, since I started bowhunting in 1992. I've never had an issue with them. I've never had to do any extra tuning to get them to shoot the same as my field points.

I shoot with a slight bend in my elbow, so I've never had an issue with my sleeve getting in the way.

I wouldn't shoot anything that I didn't check how it shot before hunting.

Good luck on your hunt.

Sodbuster

WKR
Any good fixed blade head, once properly tuned as described above should work for you.
If your form allows your string to hit your jacket, a couple of rubber bands should be enough compression to solve the issue.

Wellsdw

WKR
My .02, biscuits are great but aren’t a fix all, like many think for everyone (Look at the number of drop always vs fixed full capture)If your bow is not tuned and your form is not right, nothing you can buy to Bolt to your Bow or screw on a arrow will help. I’d start by taking your Bow to a shop and have them go through it, (paper tune, or French tune) and fix your form. make sure your arrow are spined, and then walk over and buy some 100’s or 125’s quality fixed blades. And I can about guarantee with some practice they will shoot relatively accurate