Carter Evolution+ 3 finger vs 4 finger

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at purchasing the Carter Evolution+ release to help work out some shooting deficiencies I have acquired in the last year. I have read articles and watched videos from John Dudley on how it works, but haven't found anything about the differences between the 3 and 4 finger models other than personal preference. I won't have the opportunity to shoot one before I buy it as I don't have a bow shop within driving distance that has one to try. I see Dud has his custom releases down to two fingers so that was my only thought that maybe less fingers used is the better choice, if any. Any input is appreciated.

Bdhuntin

FNG
I'm shooting the silver back (nock on) now. You can "hang" your third finger if you want. I've tried both 2 and 3 fingers and find 3 works best for me.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shooting the silver back (nock on) now. You can "hang" your third finger if you want. I've tried both 2 and 3 fingers and find 3 works best for me.

I’ve read nothing but good reviews about the nock on releases. Hopefully he gets some more in stock soon

big44a4

WKR
I’ve read nothing but good reviews about the nock on releases. Hopefully he gets some more in stock soon

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a 3 finger evolution. I’ve used all 3 (evo+ 3 finger, SB, and nock 2 it). The only one I still use is the nock 2 it. Maybe it’s because I first discovered the surprise shot with a thumb release so never found the need to commit to either resistance activated release. I used them to help warm up but always felt more comfortable getting surprise shot by pulling through with thumb release.

A resistance release has its place for sure. So you can only answer that for yourself. I have a buddy that hunts with his SB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn’t hesitate to get a 3 finger evolution. I’ve used all 3 (evo+ 3 finger, SB, and nock 2 it). The only one I still use is the nock 2 it. Maybe it’s because I first discovered the surprise shot with a thumb release so never found the need to commit to either resistance activated release. I used them to help warm up but always felt more comfortable getting surprise shot by pulling through with thumb release.

A resistance release has its place for sure. So you can only answer that for yourself. I have a buddy that hunts with his SB.

Awesome thank you

Gumbo

WKR
I hunt with the nock 2 it and I've shot both the Silverback and evolution. Because I shoot the nock 2 it hanging the third finger I don't notice much difference between it and the 3 finger evolution. My third finger is barely making contact with either.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the silverback and nock 2 it, and my wife shoots the mini evo. I have played around with hers a bit, and I find I just hang my third finger. I'm so used to the 2 finger that it's just what I naturally do. I think theoretically maybe 2 fingers is better than 3 or 4, but I think you would have to be a world class archer, or doing something wrong, in order to notice much difference.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot the silverback and nock 2 it, and my wife shoots the mini evo. I have played around with hers a bit, and I find I just hang my third finger. I'm so used to the 2 finger that it's just what I naturally do. I think theoretically maybe 2 fingers is better than 3 or 4, but I think you would have to be a world class archer, or doing something wrong, in order to notice much difference.

Makes sense

I tend to use my third finger for drawing purposes and it stays pretty well wrapped around my release when I anchor. I shoot a wise choice from Carter, and I really like having three fingers in full contact of the release.

I’d err on the side of less finger contact, so maybe just try out the three and if you don’t like it sell it and get the 4. Carter’s hold value pretty well when they are lightly used.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I have been a Carter fan for along time. The Honey 2 and Rx1 have been my hinge and trigger release of choice. I just ordered a evolution 3 finger to give the resistance rests a try.
Agreed on the value of Carter releases, they sell used for close to retail.

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered an evolution 3 finger as well. Have only ever shot with index finger releases up to this point. Have been dealing with target panic issues recently and hope this new release will help eliminate that

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Now the question is do I wait until the nock on releases are back in stock or just go with an evo+ right now? Does anyone know when he’s supposed to have more in stock?

Jethro

WKR
I just got an evo+ about 2 weeks ago. I have not shot it much yet. I got the 3 finger and I find it very comfortable to draw and anchor. I had never shot a hand held release before this one was delivered. My usual release is a Scott caliper w/ wrist strap.

Gumbo

WKR
Now the question is do I wait until the nock on releases are back in stock or just go with an evo+ right now? Does anyone know when he’s supposed to have more in stock?

I emailed Duds wife and was told the Silverbacks should be in stock in about 3 months, but that was a couple weeks ago. My two cents is that you wouldn't notice much difference between the 3-finger evo and SB. I had a SB, sold it, and decided to try one again but didn't want to wait so I bought an evo. Feels pretty much the same as a nock 2 it and silverback to me, but again, I shoot both the nock 2 it and Evo with my 3rd finger on the release but with VERY little pressure. I'd prefer to shoot with two fingers, but I often get a sharp shooting pain in my wrist/forearm when I draw with only two fingers.

Wanted the SB as well, but ordered the Evo -3. Been shooting a carter honey 2 for a while off and on over a year. Have a hard time with my hand in the rotating part of the cycle, so I am hoping the Evo helps in that area.

OP
T

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the feedback. I’ll just go with the evo then..

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Loving the evolution + so far. I know there are improvements to with the silverback over it but I am enjoying this release.