g5 monteck?

I currently hunt with g5 montecks because they fly great! however I am having concerns about there lethality my bull last year was a perfect shot and didn't make it far however with that heart shot a field tip would have done. my concern is that he hardly bled a drop in the thirty yds he ran. and a friend of mine had the same experience on a double lung bull that ran 125 almost untrackable but did find him. is anybody else having the same problem or does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

Blood trails aren't necessarily related to lethality. The important stuff bleeds inside first, then leaks out of the chest cavity. The location of the external holes determines the blood trail. The presence or lack of an exit hole makes a big difference as well. Overall penetration (getting both lungs) , sharpness, and the ability to maintain structural integrity no matter what are the biggest factors to consider.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

TheTone

WKR
I have a couple friends that have used them for years with kind of mixed results it seems with blood trails. The issue I have seen them have is in getting the broadhead really sharp. One has switched to the G5 strikers and I know he was much happier with blade sharpness. If you want to stay with the same design they also make a carbon steel version of the montec which I've also heard is easier to sharpen.

Shot several deer with them. Flew great, very lethal, but really tough on blood. One doe went 30 yards, 1 drop of blood. Messiest gutting job I have ever had. Hit a buck and watched him drop, very little blood. They were very lethal though. I don't know if it is the blade angle or what but I went away from them.

Several elk and deer
All bled like crazy
I shoot 480 grains at 300 fps
Passes thru with ease even out to 80 yards

Ke, placement is key

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I currently hunt with g5 montecks because they fly great! however I am having concerns about there lethality my bull last year was a perfect shot and didn't make it far however with that heart shot a field tip would have done. my concern is that he hardly bled a drop in the thirty yds he ran. and a friend of mine had the same experience on a double lung bull that ran 125 almost untrackable but did find him. is anybody else having the same problem or does anybody have any thoughts or suggestions? thanks

Well the Montec fans will trash me but here goes; I've seen multiple problems with these heads on elk...all related to how easily they dull. My elk hunting buddy used to use them and dull or broken was the norm. I have a pic on my other computer of an arrow with Montec that fell out of a deer in KS....dull blades and the hunter whom I talked to later lost the deer.

Easy to just toss it off to 'shot placement'...but shouldn't a BH stay sharp through an animal? Good shot placement with a head that dulls easy can still spell a lost animal. There are those that will claim, "thats a dead animal even with a dull head due to shot placement"....but if you don't find it as it goes so far....what good is it?

IMO, its a junk head. Now their carbon steel version should be better as its much better steel.

You can get Montecs sharp but due to the type of metal it is tough and takes a long time.

If you are looking for a similar design in a 1-piece head check out VPA. They sharpen way easier, and are built stronger. As mentioned above, you could also check out the carbon steel Montec as well.

OP
G
i shoot the 100gr heads in stainless would swiching to the carbon steel and possibly going to the 125gr make a substantial difference?

OP
G
I have a couple friends that have used them for years with kind of mixed results it seems with blood trails. The issue I have seen them have is in getting the broadhead really sharp. One has switched to the G5 strikers and I know he was much happier with blade sharpness. If you want to stay with the same design they also make a carbon steel version of the montec which I've also heard is easier to sharpen.
do the strikers fly as well as the montec?

Well the Montec fans will trash me but here goes; I've seen multiple problems with these heads on elk...all related to how easily they dull. My elk hunting buddy used to use them and dull or broken was the norm. I have a pic on my other computer of an arrow with Montec that fell out of a deer in KS....dull blades and the hunter whom I talked to later lost the deer.

Easy to just toss it off to 'shot placement'...but shouldn't a BH stay sharp through an animal? Good shot placement with a head that dulls easy can still spell a lost animal. There are those that will claim, "thats a dead animal even with a dull head due to shot placement"....but if you don't find it as it goes so far....what good is it?

IMO, its a junk head. Now their carbon steel version should be better as its much better steel.

Not gonna trash ya, but definitely going to disagree with this, based only on my experience on a couple dozen animals, the blades on mine are still sharp. Last night I was refletching arrows and came across the one that took my bull last year. I didn't even sharpen it, as it was still like brand new.
These are the standard ones, not even the carbon. I was too cheap to pay the extra for carbon lol

On my cow elk, she was 82 yards, went thru both lungs, 2 ribs, and it had a small nick. And I am not sure that wasn't from something it hit after the pass thru.

I shot thru a buck at 71 yards and buried the arrow in the hill behind him, and it was messed up. But here in Utah it is super rocky. I expected that.

2 spikes at under 50, , BH's stll being used and in my quiver.

I used some right before the hunt began last year, and shot them each about 100 times for final practice. They did get dull after that, but I would expect any broad head to do that.

I will keep an eye on them for sure, but so far I have had a great experience with them. Nothing flies as true out of my bow, and it is sending arrows very fast down range.

Like with anything, many people have genuine issues, and others don't. The ones who don't, argue or at the minimum disagree with the others who have experienced a problem. I have been around long enough to know, eventually those problems will touch everyone. SO I am going to really monitor this. I have had others problems not be mine, until that "one" time.

I am wondering if this a new QC situation as some BH companies have switch steel and a good product has become a bad one as a result. I haven't bought any of these new in a couple years.

I hope they haven't skimped and are now selling junk.
The ones I have are not junk, and work great.

Keep us posted.

TheTone

WKR

I can't say for sure, my friend has switched in just the past couple months and I've not seen him shoot them but the blood trail he sent me from his winter javelina was impressive and he made multiple comments about being impressed with the blade sharpness. I was never impressed looking at the blade sharpness of his montecs.

I use STRIKERS, as they "Fly", very, well and are Razor freakin' sharp, = good Blood !
Bit of a PITA to put together and adjust "spin" but,..WORTH IT! They "Fly" with, my 100 grain Field points, to 70 yards ( Max range I shoot).
Look on YouTube, there's a guy there, that shoots them, to 100 Yards! Buy a couple of extra BH's and use them strictly for Target Practice to check POI with your Field points and make sure, you, "spin test",.. ALL of them! They are in the top 5 Broadhead's sold, for a reason!

jmez

WKR
Strikers will fly as well as the Montec but may require a bit more tuning to get them there as the aren't a small, lower profile head. I will say, they are the sharpest BH's out of the package that I have ever messed with. There isn't even a close second.

jmez

WKR

Unless you put a hole in the bottom of the chest, like in the sternum, they aren't going to bleed in 30 yards.

There was, a "Bad Batch" of Strikers, a few years ago ( 2010-2011, I believe) unfortunately! I don't believe the problem exists anymore, tho.
Call G5, to find out,.. the Year of the "problem heads". They replaced the bad heads for, the guys that had problems.
Lots of damage done, to the Brand, tho!