Moving Animal Shot Placement & Tactics

A bit elk specific but applies to most archery hunts in my opinion when you have an animal moving broadside.

S14.E01: "Flooded" 340" NM Archery Elk Hunt - YouTube

What would you have done in this situation to take the shot if the elk were moving down the lane? Would you do exactly what he did and nothing more, employed a different tactic, or perhaps not taken the shot at all?

I have my thoughts but wanted to hear what everyone has to say about it as I've been in this situation more than once.

::edit:: I do commend him on pushing through and getting the bull down, a lot would have given up.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I think its about practice.
If its a shot I've practiced...and we practice them all summer- then its just another shot.

Typically I swing on the animal with the lead dependent on the distance. I don't hold my bow in the gap and then punch it as soon as he gets there...but different strokes.

If you have shot these moving shots its tough to hold form and know the timing/lead. And the tendency is to look at the whole animal vs picking a spot.....we all know what happens then

I wanna know why the guy didn't bugle after the shot to stop that bull? Possibility of another shot...and just all around better.

jmez

WKR
I wouldn't have shot. I don't practice on moving targets. I would have tried to stop him with a nervous grunt. I've shot at moving deer before and I don't do that anymore.

OR Archer

WKR
I thought both shots were poor. Could have easily stopped the first and had a better opportunity of a quick kill. Second was just a really poor angle. I commend them for sticking with it and getting the bull though. Most would of probably just given up and shot a different bull.

Gr8bawana

WKR
The whole situation could have been avoided by not shooting at a moving animal. Never a good idea.

Gumbo

WKR
Shooting at a moving animal with a bow is usually a bad idea in my book. I haven't had many situations where an animal couldn't be stopped, and if it couldn't there was no way I should have shot while it was moving.

elkyinzer

WKR
My elk was very similar to that scenario, and I ten-ringed him. I've shot a couple walking deer with no bad repercussions. 15 yards max with a forgiving angle. Would I recommend it to beginners, absolutely not, but it works for me and I have experience and confidence and know the limitations. I don't like making a noise to stop animals. Had that "mehhh" move go south on me too many times.

ckleeves

WKR
I was thinking under 10, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy.

I have made close to that same shot on 2 bulls. No problems at all. The first was slightly quartered towards and the second I had a few small pines and he was past me and quartered away when he cleared and I shot. No lead really required at that range. I think the first one my arrow hit maybe 2” from where the pin was and the second one dead on.

IME trying to stop a bull at that close of range rarely works, especially when he isn’t looking the direction the sound comes from. They usually jump pretty good and go at least a little ways before stopping to see what made it.

If it was further then about 15 yards I’m not trying the walking shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking under 10, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t crazy.

I have made close to that same shot on 2 bulls. No problems at all. The first was slightly quartered towards and the second I had a few small pines and he was past me and quartered away when he cleared and I shot. No lead really required at that range. I think the first one my arrow hit maybe 2” from where the pin was and the second one dead on.

IME trying to stop a bull at that close of range rarely works, especially when he isn’t looking the direction the sound comes from. They usually jump pretty good and go at least a little ways before stopping to see what made it.

If it was further then about 15 yards I’m not trying the walking shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't consider myself a great shot, just a good shot.
I've killed squirrels in the trees, quail on the rise and walking deer. Groundhogs on the run to their hole.
I have no qualms about shooting a walking elk.

I shoot a recurve instinctively.
My elk arrows are 650 grains and travel about 180 fps.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk