Arrow Recommendation - New Bow

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
I just got my Carbon Defiant Turbo set up. I am shooting it at 72 Lbs. at 29.5 inches. Using a QAD drop away rest.

I am now looking into what Arrow set up I should go with. I want a high quality setup, but don't need the best most expensive thing on the market.

I am thinking I need something heavier (will be used for elk and deer) - Thinking >500 grains with 100 grain broadheads and 50 to 75 grain inserts. I also think I want a normal diameter arrow, I am not completely against the thinner diameter, but I would like to be able to use the 10 brand new slick tricks I just bought for my other bow/arrows. :cool:

Just for a reference. I just bought a complete new setup. New bow, sights, arrows and broadheads. Still waiting on the Spot Hogg sight, otherwise I could tell you how it shoots. Anyways, my arrows are Black Eagle Rampage 250's, cut to 29 1/2", nock to 56 grain half outsert with white wraps and Vantec vanes. Solid 125 grain broadheads.

My arrows weigh 515 grains and my Hoyt Carbon Spyder Turbo at 70 pounds flings them around 280fps. The arrows were put together by a guy over on Archery Talk. I can get his name and contact information if you'd like.

I sure wish there wasn't a 5 week wait on my Spot Hogg fast eddie sight. I've shot the bow a few times through my chrono just to check speeds.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
28.75 260 Axis 5mm with 75g insert and 100g head weigh right at 550g

that includes wrap and 3 aae max stealth for reference

OP
H

harge57

Lil-Rokslider

that includes wrap and 3 aae max stealth for reference

That is helpful. It is tough to follow a lot of the spine charts. With extra weight up front and the speed of the turbo I thought I may be underspined with .300 arrows looks like you both suggested a stiffer spine as well.

I ended up calling Black Eagle and asked them for a recommendation. I had the same concern as you. I knew I wanted to be around 500 grains and with a higher FOC. They suggested the spine and arrow for my specific setup. That included the stiffer spine because of the high FOC.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

bates

WKR
That is helpful. It is tough to follow a lot of the spine charts. With extra weight up front and the speed of the turbo I thought I may be underspined with .300 arrows looks like you both suggested a stiffer spine as well.

Yeah i was on the phone with Easton and that is what they recommended, i have 2 bow's a 73lb RX-1 and then a 79lb Custom Shop Defiant (DFX Cams and Turbo Frame) so this arrow fits both

according to pinwheel its about perfect for my Custom shop CD and a little stiff for my RX-1 but so far both are shooting great . only tested broadheads a few times out to 40yards.

i also like the brass HIT's bc you can also run then inserts at 50 grains and then with a 125g broadhead you get the same completed weight arrow.

J8tnub

FNG
I shoot the victory vap elite. They are a micro-diameter arrow but will accept standard broadheads due to the outserts. Cut at 29” they weigh 495 grains finished. 100 gr tip, 95 gr outsert. Could go over 500 with a vap elite tko but I wanted to be a combo of speed and weight. As close to 500 grains and 300 fps as possible.

I just got my Carbon Defiant Turbo set up. I am shooting it at 72 Lbs. at 29.5 inches. Using a QAD drop away rest.

I am now looking into what Arrow set up I should go with. I want a high quality setup, but don't need the best most expensive thing on the market.

I am thinking I need something heavier (will be used for elk and deer) - Thinking >500 grains with 100 grain broadheads and 50 to 75 grain inserts. I also think I want a normal diameter arrow, I am not completely against the thinner diameter, but I would like to be able to use the 10 brand new slick tricks I just bought for my other bow/arrows. :cool:

I shot a pretty similar set up, Xpedition Denali - 29.75 draw 72 lbs. I've been shooting the Victory VAP elite, with stainless steel inserts for awhile now and have had great results. Ive only not shot through one animal(used this set up about 4 seasons and average 5-7 animals a year) and that was a buck i shot straight down one, went through his spine and into the chest bone. Ive never had a arrow break on or in an animal. the stainless steel outsert is TOUGH.

I shoot 250's with the 95 grain SS outsert, i think its about 510 and my sight tape lined up with 277 fps..

Truely any of the top brands will work great, I like this VAP set up cuz they have been durable and the micro diameter fly better from what I've experienced. they just kinda suck to pull out of targets.

icb12

FNG
Anyways, my arrows are Black Eagle Rampage 250's, cut to 29 1/2", nock to 56 grain half outsert with white wraps and Vantec vanes. Solid 125 grain broadheads.

I can second either of these setups. I've run the Rampage 250's and the Axis 260s. Both with 50gr brass inserts, 100gr/125gr heads, fobs, xnocks.

For what it's worth I prefer the Axis.

Thess87

WKR
I’m running just about the same setup as bates and am really liking it. 30” Easton axis 5mm pro 260 spine 75 grains brass up front. 100 grain heads. Aae max stealth vanes. 530 grains and shooting really good at 74 lbs