intense elbow pain

Hey archers,
I've been shooting a few back tension releases for a month
Didn't seem to have any issues with the hinge, but I got one of the true tension activated releases (Carter evolution) and wow- pain now a couple weeks later.

I can hardly lift a glass of water w/o it acting up.
No redness, swelling, just a butt load of pain.
If I quit using the BT release for 3 days I can get a dozens shots off before I feel it flair up. How ever, even when I only shoot 2 or 3 and it doesn't hurt at the time, an hour later it is intense again.

I can still shoot my index wrist strap with no issues and this leads me to believe its a tendon from my fist to forearm to elbow.
When I make a fist right now it hurts at the elbow.

Any one have this before after making the switch to a BT?
Its like the position of my arm and hand holding the weight is causing issues.

I dropped the poundage from 70 to 60, and its still an issue.

GotDraw?

WKR
You might be curving your wrist during your draw or release (as if doing wrist curls). I found myself doing this and it gave me medial tennis elbow, it was very painful.

Make sure your wrist is straight when you draw and release.

(I switched to a wrist strap and it cleared up quickly, then I never went back to a t-handle)

JL

OP
mfllood3800
You might be curving your wrist during your draw or release (as if doing wrist curls). I found myself doing this and it gave me medial tennis elbow, it was very painful.

Make sure your wrist is straight when you draw and release.

(I switched to a wrist strap and it cleared up quickly, then I never went back to a t-handle)

JL

I do twist my wrist, but not until after the draw cycle is complete I thought. There may be a chance I was twisting while drawing to- good point.

I do twist my hand after draw cycle is complete, to get my fingers at the jaw bone line.
I did experiment with trying to anchor with my hand in same position as with index release, but it felt awkward.

I just ordered a thumb release to and hoe this isn't going to be a problem. I had committed this year to hunt with a BT release or thumb release. My groups are so much tighter with these type of releases.

Oh well thx for the info- it makes sense.

OP
mfllood3800
I do twist my wrist, but not until after the draw cycle is complete I thought. There may be a chance I was twisting while drawing to- good point.

I do twist my hand after draw cycle is complete, to get my fingers at the jaw bone line.
I did experiment with trying to anchor with my hand in same position as with index release, but it felt awkward.

I just ordered a thumb release to and hoe this isn't going to be a problem. I had committed this year to hunt with a BT release or thumb release. My groups are so much tighter with these type of releases.

Oh well thx for the info- it makes sense.

Update:
I did try both BT type releases I have and I can keep my wrist straight at anchor. I was worried the release itself would hit my jaw, and it does, but not bad. Now I will have to see if it torques the string at all. But it will take a few days for the pain to diminish first.

deadwolf

WKR
Could possibly be bursitis, I had it in my hip a couple years ago and the pain was very intense. I was almost in tears trying to get into my truck to get to the doctor. Though they never really determined what had caused it, a Toradol shot cured the inflammation and I was good to go after a few days. The repetitive motion of shooting your bow combined with the use of the new release could’ve caused it. It could be anything, I’m just throwing out bursitis as a possibility. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Elbow issues here for about 3 years, cortisone, PRP, etc....scheduled for surgery in 8 days.

I can tell you that you have to stop aggravating it before you make it chronic. You need to talk to a good PT and doctor.....as there are so many reasons for the pain that might not be obvious...for example...your neck. You can solve it with good PT and active therapy...if you don't keep aggravating it like I did mine.

Ice rest ice rest...and talk to an expert.

jmez

WKR
I'll second what Beendare said. My hunting buddy can no longer shoot his bow other than sparingly for hunt prep and when hunting. He spent a couple of years fighting elbow pain. Take some time off from shooting and working out and it would go away. A few days after starting again painful elbow. He finally went to a Dr. and a Sports PT and he has a bad neck that is causing the problems.

Brendan

WKR
I did get some elbow pain when I started up with the Silverback last year (Same as the Evolution). I let it rest to get better, and then started up more slowly the next time, fewer reps at a time so I didn't overdo it. No issues with the same release and I don't think it was a change in technique. Just overdid it at first, or maybe a slightly different motion really focusing on executing with back tension?

OP
mfllood3800
I did get some elbow pain when I started up with the Silverback last year (Same as the Evolution). I let it rest to get better, and then started up more slowly the next time, fewer reps at a time so I didn't overdo it. No issues with the same release and I don't think it was a change in technique. Just overdid it at first, or maybe a slightly different motion really focusing on executing with back tension?

Yes I was content on getting this dialed and spent a week straight shooting probably 400 arrows. I was hoping it was just muscles, I hadn't used before. Either way, I am backing off for a good week, until there isn't any more pain. Then I will try my new thumb release and see if it will work, with some modifications to the anchoring and releasing. I am pretty sure the new release and technique brought this on. I can still shoot my writ strap with no issues, even with the pain there, it isn't felt- only when I grab the Rev.

Your guys input have all been spot on - thank you.
If it persists I am heading to the Dr to see what the issue is.
If I can change and adapt my form a bit- I will start with that.

My 2nd and 3rd fingers were cut off and reconnected on my right hand, so I have to alter the way I draw back any hand held so this may be aiding the fatigue I am feeling further down the arm to the elbow.

OP
mfllood3800
I will also add the exact area of pain technically is not the elbow. If you bend your arm and lay it on your lap or in front of you and feel for your elbow , then come up towards your bicep, it is that boney thingy there that is hurting.
I am on day 3 of not shooting that Rev release and I can pick up a water glass with not too much pain. I have been shooting each day , cause I got some new slick tricks in (150 gr) and I have to see how they fly at further distances as I have a turkey tag next Sat.
I have 2 more pins to validate, then I will rest til opening day.

jmez

WKR
That is exactly where my buddy with a bad neck has problems. It is the lateral epicondyle of the humerus. If it is your neck it may have to do with head position and posture with the different releases. My buddy, since he's been diagnosed, mainly controls his pain through posture and stretching.

OP
mfllood3800
Excellent info to have, thx

I have videoed my shots to correct leaning in or back

My bow draw is a tad too long for actual draw length

Other than that I remain pretty vertical til I get tired
Them I lean back

My neck had been sore but I believe r that to be pillow

Beck I'm at an age where everything hurts one day or another

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I agree with jmez. Depending on what side of the elbow it is hurting on (inside or outside), I would bet you have medial epicondylitis. I had/ have it from time to time in my left arm. The main problem for me stems from doing too many pull ups while using too much "arm" and not enough back. Basically, if your back is not engaged from beginning to end of the movement and actually driving the action, what happens is your shoulder moves forward and out of position. This translates a majority of the force forward down the chain from your back, to the pivot point of the movement, which is now the elbow. It creates a massive amount of stress on the elbow, especially the inside aspect of your arm. A pull up is just a vertical variation of drawing your bow so you can see how if you just pull with your arm, all that stress is going to be focused on your elbow, instead of being spread out over your elbow, shoulder and back muscles. Also, the elbow pain can and probably will turn into some crazy shoulder issues as well. Best bet is to really start working on your pulling strength from your scapula, make sure you have good ROM of your scapula and shoulder and focus on initiating the movement (drawing the bow) from your shoulder blade.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, its crazy. I highly recommend seeing a good PT....[don't mention your neck] ...and if clearing your neck isn't one of the first things they do....find another that knows what they are doing.

It took me 2.

In fact, I highly recommend EVERYONE see a good PT once every yr or 2 for a tune up.....the stuff they see is crazy.

so heres another example. I have 2 bad discs right at my L1,L2...so everytime I work hard...my backs a mess.

Why? Because of my hips. Your spine is supposed to move like a chain link fence. Well my hips are so tight my back hinges on those spots....FOR YEARS! Heck my doc tells me to take Advil. This PT has me working core muscles I didn't know I had.

Point is....a PT can save you from having some of those problems. The whole elbow thing is very complex with a big nerve bundle running right through there that originates in your neck. Lots of reasons for problems there....I wish I knew back then what I know now. Maybe this will save someone from having the issues I've had.

Invest in your body...it sounds hokey but true.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Elbow issues here for about 3 years, cortisone, PRP, etc....scheduled for surgery in 8 days.

I can tell you that you have to stop aggravating it before you make it chronic. You need to talk to a good PT and doctor.....as there are so many reasons for the pain that might not be obvious...for example...your neck. You can solve it with good PT and active therapy...if you don't keep aggravating it like I did mine.

Ice rest ice rest...and talk to an expert.

Listen to this guy, and avoid cortisone until you absolutely have to. Most docs will only give it once or twice for good reason. Treat the cause, not the symptom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I call mine tennis elbow. Have had it in both elbows over the years. Aggregated them several ways over the years, from running back to the truck at midnight 5 miles with a jack in hand, to rodding underground cable the stupid way, to sports. Most times it will last about a year no matter what I do unless I get the Cort shot. Those shots cure mine in a few weeks. Been going on about 3 years now of no pain in either........knock on wood.