Anyone try the custom arrow builder at Blackovis? Few questions on arrow customizatio

NDGuy

WKR
Seems like a good deal with free shipping. Anyone else tried it out?

I have never thought about the type of fletching, I have always just used whatever comes on my arrows (I think Blazers typically)

What are the benefits of 4 vane vs 3 vane? Type of vane? And used as strictly a hunting arrow, what would the benefits be to having the vanes angled?

As much as I love Kendall and his company, I insist on spin testing each arrow before i remit payment. Had some wobbly ones (especially the FMJ 250s that were all kinds of messed up. I carry this in my bow case.

51tm8r46AhL._SL1500_.jpg

Seems like a good deal with free shipping. Anyone else tried it out?

I have never thought about the type of fletching, I have always just used whatever comes on my arrows (I think Blazers typically)

What are the benefits of 4 vane vs 3 vane? Type of vane? And used as strictly a hunting arrow, what would the benefits be to having the vanes angled?

You just want to make sure the vane is stiff enough and has enough surface area to stabilize arrows with BH. 4 vanes gives more surface area and more stabilization than 3. Is it necessary and/or advantageous? Don’t know. I’ve always shot three fletch arrows and found acceptable accuracy for what I want to do.

Offset and helical on your fletch is absolutely a good thing. It will spin your arrows faster and stabilize them quicker, which increases accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Offset and helical on your fletch is absolutely a good thing. It will spin your arrows faster and stabilize them quicker, which increases accuracy.

So from what I read it goes straight---->offset---->helical for stability and accuracy? But you also lose arrow speed the closer you get to helical correct?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
So what would be more important for shooting elk? Speed or accuracy/stability? I mostly hunt whitetails but will be hunting elk and spot and stalk muley in the upcoming years.

I shoot around 65lbs and use Carbon Express Blue Maxima 250s currently and I was looking to get some heavier arrows for better stability and penetration.

So what would be more important for shooting elk? Speed or accuracy/stability? I mostly hunt whitetails but will be hunting elk and spot and stalk muley in the upcoming years.

I shoot around 65lbs and use Carbon Express Blue Maxima 250s currently and I was looking to get some heavier arrows for better stability and penetration.

That’s kind of up to the individual. I prefer stability and accuracy and am willing to sacrifice speed. I’ve never tested over a chronograph to see what the speed differences are.

I’m certainly not the end all be all source. I found some accuracy tests that showed a clear advantage when using FBBH. I have about 5 degrees of offset with a helical jig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Any other experiences with the custom shop at Blackovis? Frustrating you can't add tiger strip vanes on their arrows in the custom shop. I want the whites w/tiger stripe.

92xj

WKR
Write them a quick note on their contact us screen, they will get it and most likely call you on the phone making sure they have all your specs correct.
I just bought a dozen arrows from them and had them cut and install inserts, plus I had a ship date issue with moving houses. They called, confirmed my exact measurements and got the arrows to me asap, way over any expectations I had. Awesome guys and customer service. Plus a supporter of rokslide, support them.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Write them a quick note on their contact us screen, they will get it and most likely call you on the phone making sure they have all your specs correct.
I just bought a dozen arrows from them and had them cut and install inserts, plus I had a ship date issue with moving houses. They called, confirmed my exact measurements and got the arrows to me asap, way over any expectations I had. Awesome guys and customer service. Plus a supporter of rokslide, support them.

They can't do the tiger stripe vanes because their custom shop isn't where their warehouse is. So the shop has different inventory.