Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Handheld, Tension activated

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rcb2000

WKR
Hi All,
I've only been shooting archery for a few years now, and like most, I started with a wrist strap. I don't really have any issues (that I notice) that would make me think I need to switch, other than most seem to agree a hand held release often improves groups/accuracy. Right now I shoot with a Scott Little Goose, but have considered a Carter Wise Choice or TruBall Fang (one that can hang from the D-loop)

Last season one instance made me think that there are times I need to be able to 'punch it'. A deer was out at 40 yards, and came walking in perpendicular to me. I drew on it, and followed, waiting for it to stop, which it did only for two seconds, which is when I was able to make a shot at 30 yards.

That hunt made me think, there are times I need to be able to command the shot.

My question is, what do you all shoot, and what do you think the pro's and con's are to each style?

elkguide

WKR
I've hunted for just a "few" years more than you and have used every type of release that I have been able to find. Every winter I used to get a new release and start shooting it to see if it would be "THE" release for me. Somehow, every time I have always ended up going back to a wrist strap release before hunting season began. For the last 10 years or so, I've settled on a Carter Quickie. It's a great release and I'm very consistent shooting it and am very comfortable shooting it.

Good luck and if you find a way to get a deer to stop where and when you want them to,
please let us all know because I haven't figured it out yet.

I’ve tried a lot of different releases—several from Scott, Carter, and TruFire, and my favorite is the Spot Hogg Wiseguy rigid model. I have found the quick hook up of a Hook Model is way better for my hunting purposes cause I can connect it in the dark or without looking. And the fold back feature on that release is the best of any—it is not too stiff and not too light; it easily folds out of the way so I can use my hands for anything without bumping it. And the trigger is as crisp as they get.

DavePwns

WKR
I am also curious on what hunters are liking, I use the Blitz Release from Scott Archery is a compact, lighweight, single-jaw caliper design which I feel is cheap and takes away torque relatively well.

Brendan

WKR
A trigger of some sort. Either: Carter RX-1 (Wrist), Hamskea Drop Tine (Wrist), or Carter/Nock-On Nock2It (Thumb). Tension and Hinge releases for practice. All are interchangeable for me without needing to make any sight adjustments.

Absolutely critical for me in a trigger - a zero travel trigger that can be adjusted a little heavier so it goes off with a clean break like a good rifle trigger. I want to be able to put my finger (or thumb) on it, settle in, and slowly start pulling. I don't want something that goes off if a flea farts on it.

Lawnboi

WKR
The only one I can say I definetly won't be hunting with is a tension activated release. No way I'd trust that thing in some of the situations hunting puts me in

The rest are up in the air this year.

OP
rcb2000

rcb2000

WKR
Thanks for the insight, I do like the wrist strap, but like most newcomers to anything, I fall into the “ what to buy next” syndrome.
Definitely was a stroke of luck that the deer stopped when it did, it heard some noise behind it, and stopped just for a quick moment to turn back to see what it was. Just long enough to slip an arrow behind the shoulder. I wasn’t going to take a moving shot, and was too nervous to try and grunt at it!

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Tried a lot of them but still hunt with the fletch hunter wrist. I have 7 of them now and have been using them since the 80's.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I've been playing with a Nock-On 2Smooth hinge release and I love it, but I'm not consistent enough with it yet to make the switch for hunting. I really, really like the 2 moons for adjusting the click and sear separately. I have the click set to happen right about when I'm in position--as soon as I move my thumb away from the peg. Tonight, I sped up the sear just a little.

I'll be reverting to the wrist strap for turkey season and I'll reconsider the options for elk season. I picked wrist strap in the poll since that is what I know I'll be using for the immediate future.

-David

I switched from a wrist strap to a nock 2 it, about a year ago,which is a carter wise choice but with one less finger hold. I improved a lot, but I don't necessarily think that it was just the release. I learned how to release with back tension and a surprise release. I think the most important thing is a good crisp trigger with no travel, no matter what style it is. The wrist strap or handheld is just preference. I do get a more consistent anchor with a handheld though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

chriso

FNG
I use a spot hogg wise guy. I’m used to a trigger and have no issues with accuracy. I also feel it to be ideal for hunting and it suits me just fine when I’m target shooting.

Last edited:

Boreal

WKR
I have a Wiseguy rigid that I kept coming back to after trying many different releases. I liked the Stans thumb releases I tried, but I tend to relax my hand when I settle in to the wall. I sent two Stans down range and told the guy at my local bow shop to kick me in the nuts if I ever look at another release without the wrist strap. There is nothing inherently “more accurate” about a thumb or hinge release if you can use a trigger release properly. Hold tension through your back, good bow hand position, and a trigger release is perfectly accurate. I like the Wiseguy because there is zero trigger creep and it is very adjustable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
Scott backspin for me (but don't drop it in the sandy desert of Arizona on a mule deer hunt...)

stonewall

WKR
I shot fingers for years. Then a Scott samurai. Then Scott little bitty goose. After elk season I started using Carter evolution. I ended up shooting a deer with the evolution but I had to narrow my comfortable range a lot. Also I had been warned to be careful hunting with it bc it’s easy to sit harder on the back wall under pressure. Something to that affect anyway. Well i ended up releasing the arrow when I let off safety. I was prepared for that possibility and made a good shot but obviously not ideal. I’ve since been using different hinge releases. Will likely hunt with Scott longhorn this season. My target panic is too bad to go back to a wrist strap I’m afraid

I shot fingers for years. Then a Scott samurai. Then Scott little bitty goose. After elk season I started using Carter evolution. I ended up shooting a deer with the evolution but I had to narrow my comfortable range a lot. Also I had been warned to be careful hunting with it bc it’s easy to sit harder on the back wall under pressure. Something to that affect anyway. Well i ended up releasing the arrow when I let off safety. I was prepared for that possibility and made a good shot but obviously not ideal. I’ve since been using different hinge releases. Will likely hunt with Scott longhorn this season. My target panic is too bad to go back to a wrist strap I’m afraid
You might try using a hinge with a safety. It helps for drawing in those god awful uncomfortable positions and not punching yourself in the face.