Easton vs Black Eagle

Brendan

WKR
Here you go. Made some assumptions, but "Ideal" is calculated at .417. Personally - at 260fps or below, I probably wouldn't want to go to a stiffer and heavier arrow. Buy good broadheads, and go kill something.

i-ZjvGq8L-L.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

The only change I would make with your program is to change the insert weight to 50gr and see what it comes up with. If it were me and those specs, I would take the Easton Match Axis (either 400's or 350's) and use the 50gr brass HIT's and go kill stuff.

Beendare

WKR
I suppose I should clarify "Higher FOC" for me. I haven't been able to get any of my arrows over 17% and keep everything else where I wanted to, so I'm not extreme by any means.

But, those 15-17% arrows shot more consistently for me than ~10-12% FOC Arrows.

Big Caveat - I shoot 300 Spine Arrows, 250 where necessary to keep them stiff enough.

^ I knew you were a reasonable guy! /grin

The point of my last post wasn't to ridicule other posters........

I'm just relaying my experience. I've shot hundreds of animals all shapes and sizes with and arrow....and seen a couple hundred more die to an arrow. Its hard to post that comment without it sounding like bragging...put it this way....I've made or seen every mistake you can possibly make.

The key takeaway from my experience....A TREND STARTS TO EMERGE! /Grin

So flood....you can disagree all you want....your commentary gives away your experience level.

Its funny that the experienced guys posting here are all pretty close in their advice.....EXPERIENCE will do that.....all of the experienced guys I know are right about the same specs; a medium heavy arrow, meticulous arrow assembly and BH tuned

Funny how that ^ works!

Like I told the OP when he PM'd me;
Arrow weight doesn't hurt him on short hunting shots...ie 30 gr either way ain't gonna make or break him....which is essentially what many are saying on the overthinking part.

If you need to bump up your arrow weight, going up a size in spine and adding a little tip weight is a good way to do that. ..just don't be underspined.

I think he will like an arrow in the 420-450 range for his short bowhunting shots. If he was also shooting 3D....then I would recommend a lighter arrow...and for hunting just put a very efficient BH on there- done.

sorry if I got anyones panties in a wad......

I'm just relaying my experience. I've shot hundreds of animals all shapes and sizes with and arrow....and seen a couple hundred more die to an arrow. Its hard to post that comment without it sounding like bragging...put it this way....I've made or seen every mistake you can possibly make.

So flood....you can disagree all you want....your commentary gives away your experience level.

Its funny that the experienced guys posting here are all pretty close in their advice.....EXPERIENCE will do that.....all of the experienced guys I know are right about the same specs; a medium heavy arrow, meticulous arrow assembly and BH tuned

Funny how that ^ works!

Arrow weight doesn't hurt him on short hunting shots...ie 30 gr either way ain't gonna make or break him....which is essentially what many are saying on the overthinking part.

If you need to bump up your arrow weight, going up a size in spine and adding a little tip weight is a good way to do that. ..just don't be underspined.

I think he will like an arrow in the 420-450 range for his short bowhunting shots. If he was also shooting 3D....then I would recommend a lighter arrow...and for hunting just put a very efficient BH on there- done.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

Funny how that ^ works!

My panties aren't wadded yet
lol
Whats funny is this is my recommendation to him a while back:

"At 26" arrow, and a 125 gr tip, I'd do the 350 spine myself with a 3 fletch and the alumn outsert that comes with it and regular nock. That would get you right at 420 grains and probably around 255 fps.
This is the simplified explanation version
lol "

Sounds like this is in line with what the experienced guys are saying.
:)

Brendan

WKR
ND Guy: Black Eagle Rampage will be ~50 grains lighter, ~15FPS faster, slightly higher FOC. I'd go with the Axis at your current DL & DW.

Also, said it before, but I'd double check draw length, and consider whether or not you're staying at 65lbs before settling on the arrow.

Beendare

WKR
Flood...all good bro....it does sound like we are all within a stones throw of the same recommendation.

I'm going to defer to Brendan at this point....ND will be in good hands.

Have him run an arrow that 1"-1/2" longer than to your rest...and call it good.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I got my custom arrows this week from Blackovis, they turned out awesome!

Good company great customer service!

ad6c3131cd61c41c4b6258d1fbb0d87c.jpg

e6d8b02eaa18a67d2591dab71d30c5a5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
they look pretty cool bro

The only downside is my local Scheels screwed up 6/12 putting in the brass inserts I bought to go with them. Blackovis didn't have any in stock so I had Scheels put them in for me...that was a mistake!

Trial153

WKR
The only downside is my local Scheels screwed up 6/12 putting in the brass inserts I bought to go with them. Blackovis didn't have any in stock so I had Scheels put them in for me...that was a mistake!

How did they screw up an insert install?

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR

Couldn't tell you, 4 of them weren't pushed far enough back and the other 2 were a few cms from coming out of the shaft. Most of the time they have their bike shop guys glue inserts because their main sales people are "too busy". I am guessing someone was careless and tipped my arrows vertically for too long and they slid out and no one noticed.

I was pretty pissed but they gave me a dozen bare shafts and fletching/gluing inserts on 6 of them for me. This time the head archery guy is doing it...ha

Trial153

WKR
Couldn't tell you, 4 of them weren't pushed far enough back and the other 2 were a few cms from coming out of the shaft. Most of the time they have their bike shop guys glue inserts because their main sales people are "too busy". I am guessing someone was careless and tipped my arrows vertically for too long and they slid out and no one noticed.

I was pretty pissed but they gave me a dozen bare shafts and fletching/gluing inserts on 6 of them for me. This time the head archery guy is doing it...ha

Good reason to start building them yourself.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Good reason to start building them yourself.

Yep, I think I am going to take that route in the future. Much more room to play around and tweak to my liking. I just started getting into the details of archery this year, I used to be a buy off the shelf and stick a broadhead in kind of guy.

Yep, I think I am going to take that route in the future. Much more room to play around and tweak to my liking. I just started getting into the details of archery this year, I used to be a buy off the shelf and stick a broadhead in kind of guy.
Yeah bro start building them. The amount of attention some pimple faced ass bag will pay pales in comparison to what you would do on your own arrow build. sorry to hear about that part but at least they comped some me product.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Good question. But it becomes very apparent in HIT conversations and QAD discussions that most people just can't seem to do things correctly from the start.....and then blame the product.

There's a very good reason to do all your own work........incompetence seems to be the gold standard these days.....even in a lot of pro shops.

elkhuntrr75

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot Black Eagle. I recently dealt with their customer service and even though they dropped the ball the first time I called, they made good on it in the end. You probably couldn’t go wrong with the Easton’s but I always like supporting the little guy when I can.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I shoot Black Eagle. I recently dealt with their customer service and even though they dropped the ball the first time I called, they made good on it in the end. You probably couldn’t go wrong with the Easton’s but I always like supporting the little guy when I can.

I went with Easton just because no one in ND sells BE. They have been great so far.