Easton vs Black Eagle

NDGuy

WKR
Having a heck of a time picking out my new arrow setup. So many options out there, I think I have narrowed it down between Easton FMJs and Black Eagle Deep Impacts. I currently am shooting CE Blue Maxima 250s and I think my arrows are a bit too light for a "do all arrow". I haven’t really given much thought to arrow selection in the past so looking for some guidance.

I have a 26” draw and am shooting at 65lbs I swap between 100gr Slick Tricks and Hypodermics. I upgraded to a 5 pin MBG Ascent Verdict this year too. I mainly hunt whitetail but will be going after mule deer, antelope, and eventually elk in the upcoming years.

I don’t know much about Black Eagles outside of some stuff on this forum. What would be the main benefits of one over the other? FMJs obviously getting more weight (I think around 425gr or so) where I would be around 400-410 gr with the Black Eagles.

I have built a few different ones on the Blackovis custom arrow builder because I like being able to pick all white or pink and white vanes with a white wrap. They have pretty good prices for picking out your own colors and whatnot.

General thoughts from you guys and gals would be appreciated!

Having a heck of a time picking out my new arrow setup. So many options out there, I think I have narrowed it down between Easton FMJs and Black Eagle Deep Impacts. I currently am shooting CE Blue Maxima 250s and I think my arrows are a bit too light for a "do all arrow". I haven’t really given much thought to arrow selection in the past so looking for some guidance.

I have a 26” draw and am shooting at 65lbs I swap between 100gr Slick Tricks and Hypodermics. I upgraded to a 5 pin MBG Ascent Verdict this year too. I mainly hunt whitetail but will be going after mule deer, antelope, and eventually elk in the upcoming years.

I don’t know much about Black Eagles outside of some stuff on this forum. What would be the main benefits of one over the other? FMJs obviously getting more weight (I think around 425gr or so) where I would be around 400-410 gr with the Black Eagles.

I have built a few different ones on the Blackovis custom arrow builder because I like being able to pick all white or pink and white vanes with a white wrap. They have pretty good prices for picking out your own colors and whatnot.

General thoughts from you guys and gals would be appreciated!
That's the main question I'm having haha. I'm trying to decide if I want to run Black Eagle Spartans or Easton Axis Match Grade arrows. I've been running the low end Black Eagles and the Easton UA Arrows. I haven't really seen a huge difference in accuracy, but I am building my arrows. I like to run a stiff carbon spine without the aluminium (so I can get more point weight). I want an arrow arou d 470 grains with lots in the front. I think they both run great arrows. The big difference for me is in building them. When it comes to inserts it's just easier to run the Black Eagles. Probably didn't help! haha. Great luck this fall.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Probably didn't help! haha. Great luck this fall.

You at least bumped my post up thanks man you too.

Do I need special broadheads on the deep impacts? They were the heaviest arrows I found on BE's website.

HookUp

WKR
I have had great luck with the black eagle spartans. I fletch them with four AAE MAX stealths and they are darts. Have been playing with some super spine fletching as well. I have shot some eastons and gold tips and it just seems to me BE is the best quality. Easton has a huge sponsorship with many celebrity hunters who I admire, but I am also a little suspect why they market as much as they do.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I have had great luck with the black eagle spartans. I fletch them with four AAE MAX stealths and they are darts. Have been playing with some super spine fletching as well. I have shot some eastons and gold tips and it just seems to me BE is the best quality. Easton has a huge sponsorship with many celebrity hunters who I admire, but I am also a little suspect why they market as much as they do.

I think I want to stay with a higher gpi, with those I wouldn't be hitting 400gr without brass inserts. Hence why I have narrowed it to FMJ or Deep Impacts. Both those arrows will easily hit 400gr with my metrics.

I think I want to stay with a higher gpi, with those I wouldn't be hitting 400gr without brass inserts. Hence why I have narrowed it to FMJ or Deep Impacts. Both those arrows will easily hit 400gr with my metrics.
A good thing to remember is that you can run an arrow with lower GPI so that you can load your tip up more. Up the spine, go carbon for lower GPI, use heavy inserts/broadheads (for momentum), and like the bro was saying definitely run the max stealth vanes. Easton or BE will perform well. That's my take at least.

I'm drawing 29.5", 70lbs, arrow is 27.5", weighing 477 grains with around 167 grains up front. good penetration, good arrow flight. Your draw length and poundage you could find a system similar that would work from deer to elk. I know kenetic is really harped on, but momentum seems to be what busts through boards.

Those vanes are legit! I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on Spartans.

I wanted to stay around 400-420 also , i chose Black Eagle Rampage and am using the Half outs they came with (51 grns) . This gave me more weight front of center and still was able to stay around 405 grns .
350 spine@27” w/ blazers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have had several Easton brand arrows incl the FMJ. Good shafts. I have been shooting the Black Eagle Arrows for 3 years now.
The benefit to the BEA is the weight. You can get the deep Imp but the X impacts are even lighter. You can then add a SS outsert for an additional 20 gr up front and even go to a 125 gr broad head of desire even more FOC

I just felt I got more options with the BEA. Your DL is short so the gpi on your shafts will be minimal.
My x imp are like 8 gr per inch. That keeps the shaft light and allows me more options of where I want to add the weight to get to my 500 gr set up.
I shoot 150 tips, with 60 gr SS outserts for a total front weight of 210 gr. I also run a Super Spine 4 fletch (24 gr total) and pin nocks and bushings for some states and nocturnals for others.

I like being in control of what I can use and where.
I personally like higher FOC, makes me feel like I am a better shot
:)

I have had several Easton brand arrows incl the FMJ. Good shafts. I have been shooting the Black Eagle Arrows for 3 years now.
The benefit to the BEA is the weight. You can get the deep Imp but the X impacts are even lighter. You can then add a SS outsert for an additional 20 gr up front and even go to a 125 gr broad head of desire even more FOC

I just felt I got more options with the BEA. Your DL is short so the gpi on your shafts will be minimal.
My x imp are like 8 gr per inch. That keeps the shaft light and allows me more options of where I want to add the weight to get to my 500 gr set up.
I shoot 150 tips, with 60 gr SS outserts for a total front weight of 210 gr. I also run a Super Spine 4 fletch (24 gr total) and pin nocks and bushings for some states and nocturnals for others.

you said that way better than me! haha

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR

Ok so is the new fad to front load the heck out of your arrow? I have seen quite a few people talk about doing a similar setup to you where you put in brass inserts or whatever to load up the front. I guess what is the point of the heavier arrows in the first place then if you can just add front loaded weight and having lighter shafts?

Ruskin

WKR
I don’t know much about arrows (but I’m leaning). Playing around with the Valkyries. Lots of options for higher weights. I’m testing arrows around 475 with just a lot of weight up front. Something to consider if you’re willing to go to a skinny shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
I’m testing arrows around 475 with just a lot of weight up front. Something to consider if you’re willing to go to a skinny shaft.

With my shorter arrow length would I be better off sticking with a lighter arrow with < gr than the FMJs? And just focus on making my front weight higher?

Ok so is the new fad to front load the heck out of your arrow? I have seen quite a few people talk about doing a similar setup to you where you put in brass inserts or whatever to load up the front. I guess what is the point of the heavier arrows in the first place then if you can just add front loaded weight and having lighter shafts?

Some guys say FOC doesn't matter.
Some guys swear by it.
I fly airplanes and understand CG ) Center of Gravity) as it relates to stability.
FOC is similar as it helps in stability a little more IMO.
I am not a crazy seeker of FOC, but I will go up to around 17-19%
It works for me and my bows that are 372 fps IBO. Very unforgiving and tell on poor form, bad arrow construction and poor execution

The beauty for me of a lighter shaft is it allows me the option to run a 150 gr broad head versus a 100 or 125. The 150 heads are often a bit bigger in Di as well. I like my arrows around 500 gr total weight with a big broad head up front. I cant do that with heavy arrows.

It isn't a new fad (High FOC). It has been around a while, and stayed around.
I personally believe for most bows it is minimal in its effect. But for bows that are short ATA and brace height, the unforgiveness of equipment and form really show up. Anything that helps is worth it to me.

Its all personal preference, and subject to what you test and like.

edit* some guys have short DL and cant go too heavy or they suffer severe FPS loss. A light arrow allows them faster speeds. A light arrow also allows them to put the weight where they want it.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Some guys say FOC doesn't matter.
Some guys swear by it.
I fly airplanes and understand CG ) Center of Gravity) as it relates to stability.
FOC is similar as it helps in stability a little more IMO.
I am not a crazy seeker of FOC, but I will go up to around 17-19%
It works for me and my bows that are 372 fps IBO. Very unforgiving and tell on poor form, bad arrow construction and poor execution

The beauty for me of a lighter shaft is it allows me the option to run a 150 gr broad head versus a 100 or 125. The 150 heads are often a bit bigger in Di as well. I like my arrows around 500 gr total weight with a big broad head up front. I cant do that with heavy arrows.

It isn't a new fad (High FOC). It has been around a while, and stayed around.
I personally believe for most bows it is minimal in its effect. But for bows that are short ATA and brace height, the unforgiveness of equipment and form really show up. Anything that helps is worth it to me.

Its all personal preference, and subject to what you test and like.

I have a Hoyt Nitrum 30 (332 FPS is what Hoyt says) not sure if that changes much with my situation. I don't have an intimate knowledge on archery, I just want "do it all" hunting arrows that I won't have to tweak ever. I am not much of a tinkerer which makes this decision harder just because you cant tinker SO MUCH with archery haha.

The shorter brace heights keep the arrow on string longer and reveals more form flaw with our instinctual built in reaction to the shot going off, if that makes sense. It isn't always IBO speeds, but typically the faster the bow, the shorter the brace height as well as ATA.

That bow of yours will do great. Hoyt makes some serious equipment.
I will just add this:
You wont go wrong with either BE or Easton.
I like to have a final FPS around 280, with my arrows at 500 grs.
That is my ultimate goal, but I will also try to get as much of that weight forward when ever possible.
But a high FOC is not my primary goal. 500 grain arrows at 280fps is.

I will add I drop the total arrow weight to around 460-470 for desert mule deer. They are jumpy critters and I up my FPS to around 300 fps just for this scenario.
I can do this by simply removing the 150 gr B/Head and putting on a 125 gr.
This lowers my FOC, and I am not a good enough target archer to fully notice this change in most instances, but my groups will open up a bit, but that can also be from the increase in FPS, which also reveals issues in form or set up more too.

Who really knows?
Just test and shoot what groups best for you.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
Just test and shoot what groups best for you.

Probably what It will come down to. I just worry about not liking $150-180 arrows especially with my draw being short it would be harder to resell if needed. I suppose I could just order 6 instead of 12 and see how I like them.

Probably what It will come down to. I just worry about not liking $150-180 arrows especially with my draw being short it would be harder to resell if needed. I suppose I could just order 6 instead of 12 and see how I like them.

That's why I said you will do well with either.
No worries man.

If it were me Id do the BE Ximpacts over the deeps.
I shot the deeps for a year and loved them. But then they released the x impaxts and it was a no brainer for me.

The beauty of a light shaft for you with shorter DL, is you can put a 100 gr b/head on it and hunt deer with fast speeds and decent KE or momentum, then swap out and put a 125 gr on it and go for elk etc and still have ok speed but real good KE and momentum.
Gives you great options all out of same arrow

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
The beauty of a light shaft for you with shorter DL, is you can put a 100 gr b/head on it and hunt deer with fast speeds and decent KE or momentum, then swap out and put a 125 gr on it and go for elk etc and still have ok speed but real good KE and momentum.
Gives you great options all out of same arrow

Part of my reason of going away from my lightweight Blue Maximas is 2/3 deer I’ve shot with them have had like 8 inches of penetration. That’s without hitting shoulder or anything just 25-35 yard shots broadside. My last one was the final straw with me. But these Axis or BE arrows seem to be much better built.