Pulled the trigger on G5 Strikers

I've looked high and low. Will be testing them when they arrive. In the meantime who has pros and cons based on use of these broadheads.

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just make sure you put a steel washer against the blades, and then the brass washer. The blades will ding up the brass washer and the head won't spin true anymore. I've been using the 125gr Strikers since they came out.

OP
bguitierez
Just make sure you put a steel washer against the blades, and then the brass washer. The blades will ding up the brass washer and the head won't spin true anymore. I've been using the 125gr Strikers since they came out.
I'll definitely give that a try. How did they spin out of the box from head to head? I noticed the Montecs don't spin the same out of the box. Truth be told some Montecs wobble like a drunk dude out the box (but it could be the front of the shaft isn't perfectly squared). Getting the G5 arrow squaring tool.

I'm in CA, so I started out running Grim Reapers for a few years. Didn't need to know arrow flight As much with them. But As I learned more about the archery craft mechanicals have come to scare me. haba. As my archery aptitude (oh and Oregon elk hunt dictate) I'm to the point of wanting the security of a fixed blade. Still want some Iron Will Broadheads, but the Strikers seem to have great reviews too. So can t wait to get them and start testing. Do you find they hold their edge or need sharpening often, and have you used the same Striker on different animals? Have u noticed lots of noise in flight? Oh and how are they past 50 yards? Sorry for all the questions.

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the Strikers for a while now. They fly incredibly good and are sharp. The downsides and reasons i switched from them is the fact they are a vented blade so they make a bit of noise in flight. They also like to fall apart when they hit anything hard. If you get an animal down be careful when gutting, pieces of broadhead could be floating around in there.

OP
bguitierez
I have used the Strikers for a while now. They fly incredibly good and are sharp. The downsides and reasons i switched from them is the fact they are a vented blade so they make a bit of noise in flight. They also like to fall apart when they hit anything hard. If you get an animal down be careful when gutting, pieces of broadhead could be floating around in there.
That's good to know. Thanks brother. Quick question, when you tuned arrow for those broadheads (passed making sure the arrow/broad heads spun true) what other process did you use to get them to hit true? For instance where you indexing the nocks for dynamic spine? Did you find a system that seemed to work to get them on target?

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
As long as your bow is tuned they always shot right with field points for me. Really didnt need any adjustment. Thats why i shot them for so long. A great broadhead!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I haven't found one that didn't spin true....except for the ones that dinged up the brass washer. I think they come with both steel and brass washers these days. But back when they came out I called them and asked why they only used the brass and they said "the brass gives a little on hard hits so it helps to prevent broken blades". Well........then make stronger blades! They sent me a dozen brass and a dozen steel washers. And I've been using the steel against the blades ever since. I have never broken a blade.....yet.

I also shot the Striker Mags and still have a few laying around. I was testing them through 3/4" plywood one day. They use a thinner brass washer than the regular 125gr Striker. So I walk up to the plywood and the first thing I see is the arrow penetrated about 1/2 way and one blade stuck in the wood still right next to the arrow. Upon inspection of the BH I see that one blade pushed backwards and actually split the brass washer and was forced back into my Axis arrow (using HIT's). It split the end of the arrow. But after putting steel washers against the blades, there hasn't been an issue since.

As long as your setup is BH tuned, they fly great. I was shooting them in elk camp last season at my Rinoblock target at 90 yards without any issues. I've only shot one elk with them and it was a 40 yard shot that blew right through. I tend to try a lot of different heads. The last 7 elk I've shot, I've used 7 different BH's. The blades are super sharp, but do dull and ding up easily. I resharpen them easily with my Lansky. I have also shot a bunch of the Wac'ems which were in existence before the Strikers, and are very similar.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
You should nick tune every arrow regardless of the point you shoot. It is paramount to tighter groups.

OP
bguitierez
I haven't found one that didn't spin true....except for the ones that dinged up the brass washer. I think they come with both steel and brass washers these days. But back when they came out I called them and asked why they only used the brass and they said "the brass gives a little on hard hits so it helps to prevent broken blades". Well........then make stronger blades! They sent me a dozen brass and a dozen steel washers. And I've been using the steel against the blades ever since. I have never broken a blade.....yet.

I also shot the Striker Mags and still have a few laying around. I was testing them through 3/4" plywood one day. They use a thinner brass washer than the regular 125gr Striker. So I walk up to the plywood and the first thing I see is the arrow penetrated about 1/2 way and one blade stuck in the wood still right next to the arrow. Upon inspection of the BH I see that one blade pushed backwards and actually split the brass washer and was forced back into my Axis arrow (using HIT's). It split the end of the arrow. But after putting steel washers against the blades, there hasn't been an issue since.

As long as your setup is BH tuned, they fly great. I was shooting them in elk camp last season at my Rinoblock target at 90 yards without any issues. I've only shot one elk with them and it was a 40 yard shot that blew right through. I tend to try a lot of different heads. The last 7 elk I've shot, I've used 7 different BH's. The blades are super sharp, but do dull and ding up easily. I resharpen them easily with my Lansky. I have also shot a bunch of the Wac'ems which were in existence before the Strikers, and are very similar.
I'll definitely apply attention to the washers. I Never would have thought of that. Sounds like they do their job though. I appreciate the description man. I'll be coming back to this a few times.

my bow is tuned, but that's with different arrows. I'll be building BE Spartans with 4 fletch. Once I have those arrows built I'll probably shoot through paper and then start with the broadhead tests. Thanks for your insight.