Question/Comment Thread for 2018 Cold Bow Challenge

I'm in as well. Gonna be challenging to make the drive to the archery range, fling only one arrow, then drive home.

What would be a good size range for "kill zone? My dad made me use a paper plate as a kid.

I'm fairly new to archery. I've archery hunted whitetail, but have really decided to step up my abilities, and gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

basketball size for elk and will work for deer as well.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bummer you gotta drive to range each time, but it will help your focus.
On kill zones, I’ve always gone 9” for mule deer bucks

SWOHTR

WKR
I’m in! I’ll have to get a little creative in my neighborhood. My shots will probably be around dawn or dusk at 25-30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummer you gotta drive to range each time, but it will help your focus.
On kill zones, I’ve always gone 9” for mule deer bucks
Thanks, sounds like my dad was about right then on the paper plate. They measure 9.5". I swear, the older I get, the smarter he was.

bobinmi

WKR
Looking forward to embarassing myself with my strugglestick. Thanks for the opportunity. I've been contemplating different shots I can setup at the house.

LostArra

WKR
I'm in as well. Gonna be challenging to make the drive to the archery range, fling only one arrow, then drive home.

What would be a good size range for "kill zone? My dad made me use a paper plate as a kid.

I'm fairly new to archery. I've archery hunted whitetail, but have really decided to step up my abilities, and gear.

My dad was the same except he would never let us put the paper plate in the middle of the target (hay bale). It had to be right or left of center. He said if you practice shooting the MIDDLE of the target you will shoot the middle(gut) of the deer. Of course this was pre-compound and sights.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Lostarra, I'd say he had a good point. Military of yesteryear had to train guys NOT to pick up their brass or they'd do the same in combat and die. How you train sticks when the brain goes on auto pilot.

Brendan

WKR
Well, first of two hunting bows is waiting at the dealer to be picked up this week. Small chance I can get it dialed in and make the time for the challenge. More likely I have to do it unofficially on my own though...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well, first of two hunting bows is waiting at the dealer to be picked up this week. Small chance I can get it dialed in and make the time for the challenge. More likely I have to do it unofficially on my own though...

As long as you start shooting by May 30, and don’t miss a day, you’d qualify.

Maybe Ryan could put together a long range rifle Cold Bore Challenge. Have different categories for 500 to 750, 750 to 1000, 1000 to 1250 and then Jeff Brozovich range?

Only the cold bore shot counts. And you could continue to shoot because nobody wants to drive hours to a range for one shot.

What do ya think? Plausible?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe Ryan could put together a long range rifle Cold Bore Challenge. Have different categories for 500 to 750, 750 to 1000, 1000 to 1250 and then Jeff Brozovich range?

Only the cold bore shot counts. And you could continue to shoot because nobody wants to drive hours to a range for one shot.

What do ya think? Plausible?

Anything’s possible.

So when do we need to start are video and where do we post it? What do we need to shoot at exactly a 3d like target or is a dot fine? When we pick a distance do we shoot that same distance all 5 five days?

Last edited: