Question/Comment Thread for 2018 Cold Bow Challenge

This was both a blast and a pain last year.
I love what it does to simulate the real scenarios in a hunt. I hate that I cant keep shooting
lol

It is worth it, just to learn more about you as a shooter, especially since in those 5 days, you may have 30 mph winds one day and others raining or calm etc...

Also the prizes this year are awesome.
Would love to get a 3 pack of IW broad heads for sure.
Last year I chose 80 yards as my MER.
I will shorten that up this year as my groups weren't the greatest.
I am looking at 60 yards.

Thx for doing this again Robby and I hope there is record attendance.

weaver

WKR
I'm in.
Might of missed it but do shots need to be taken on consecutive days?

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I was just thinking about last years cold bow challenge today while shooting my bow.

I didn't participate last year because my kit wasn't dialed in yet. I did however do the cold bow challenge on my own and learned a lot about pushing my limits. I will be all in this year.

I do have one question though.

The days don't have to be consectutive, right? I am a firefighter and live in a ridiculously liberal state so I can't take my "weapon" to work, so I would miss every third day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I was just thinking about last years cold bow challenge today while shooting my bow.

I didn't participate last year because my kit wasn't dialed in yet. I did however do the cold bow challenge on my own and learned a lot about pushing my limits. I will be all in this year.

I do have one question though.

The days don't have to be consectutive, right? I am a firefighter and live in a ridiculously liberal state so I can't take my "weapon" to work, so I would miss every third day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
You mean, you live in a rural conservative state governed by the liberal loons in Chicago lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HoytHunter24

Lil-Rokslider
I would like to participate this year. To be clear, we only need to do 5 days worth of shots to complete the challenge as long as we are done before June 3rd?

amp713

WKR
Ok serious question.... I missed this challenge last time and just noticed something today.... "no shooting between days"

So this needs to be 5 days straight and only 5 arrows in those 5 days? Or am I reading this wrong

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all, You DO NOT have to shoot consecutive days BUT you CAN'T PRACTICE between days.

let me give you some scenarios:

1) So as in doncarpenter's case above, he would shoot the two consecutive days, take a day off (as he has to work) but he CAN'T practice on that day, then resume shooting the next day repeating this until he's got 5 days accumulated of only one shot per day, as long as he's done by June 3rd, he's in.

2) Another guy could shoot one arrow on May 5th, one on the 9th, one on the 13th, one on the 20th, one on June 3rd and as long as those were the only five arrows shot that month, he's qualified.

3) Another guy shoots 3 days in a row, his sight falls to pieces, so he has to resight in and that takes multiple arrows. He's not yet qualified and he'd have to start over AND be done with 5 arrows by June 3rd to qualify. He might not make it depending on when in the challenge his sight failed. So just like in hunting, you're depending on your equipment not to fail.

As mflood3800 pointed out, "I love what it does to simulate the real scenarios in a hunt. I hate that I cant keep shooting".

The fact that you can't just keep shooting until you get it right is what makes this real world. Too often, without even thinking about it, we continue to pound the target until we're satisfied with our groups and we end the session with an "atta boy" good-feeling, but that's not real hunting. On the mountain, you get one shot and you may not have been able to practice for days at the lead up to that shot.

As I said in last year's competition, this is about "quality over quantity"

A few guys even dropped their MER after last's year's challenge after they saw their results, that is good!

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks all for your excitement and questions. Can't wait to get this rolling!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ok serious question.... I missed this challenge last time and just noticed something today.... "no shooting between days"

So this needs to be 5 days straight and only 5 arrows in those 5 days? Or am I reading this wrong

Hi, you're reading it wrong. Only five arrows, doesn't have to be consecutive BUT NO PRACTICE BETWEEN DAYS. See my post above this one for more scenarios.

amp713

WKR
Hi, you're reading it wrong. Only five arrows, doesn't have to be consecutive BUT NO PRACTICE BETWEEN DAYS. See my post above this one for more scenarios.

Haha I just finished through the upper one when I say your reply haha but now I got it figured out! I'd have to do 5 consecutive... I dont think I could not shoot more arrows longer than 5 days!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Many serious shooters can’t either, but the first one is still the one that counts on the hunt.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Many serious shooters can’t either, but the first one is still the one that counts on the hunt.

Unless your first one is a complete whiff, and then your second hits the mark. I did that a few years ago. Shot under a bull I thought was closer and then put the 2nd arrow through him.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Unless your first one is a complete whiff, and then your second hits the mark. I did that a few years ago. Shot under a bull I thought was closer and then put the 2nd arrow through him.

I can't argue with success!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you’re in Ryan. You’re part of the reason we did a Trad Division this year

I'm in as well. Gonna be challenging to make the drive to the archery range, fling only one arrow, then drive home.

What would be a good size range for "kill zone? My dad made me use a paper plate as a kid.

I'm fairly new to archery. I've archery hunted whitetail, but have really decided to step up my abilities, and gear.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited: