What is wrong with outserts?

OP
mfllood3800
I think one could go a little lower by using aluminum outsert and steel collar. I may go with the Gold Tip .166 outsert (their FACT system is a more adjustable) and the Ethics steel collar as long as the brands’ components can be mixed and matched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe
I'm just not trusting the alum

I ordered the steel set up and will Get some shafts coming as well

Maybe you could report what you discover?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Like everything else in this world, I have no idea why stuff fails for one person and not another in similar situations with similar equipment/energies etc. ......

^Ha....agreed. Back when I was shooting Onieda...one of the other sponsored guys broke 5 risers in one year. There were a few issues with broken risers here and there....but there are outliers with anything....and more to the story of course!

Shafts; I can say that in my experience the mating surface between your BH and your shaft is critical. [no surprise to many of you I know- grin]
Like a lot of stuff in archery...you don't have any issues with FP's...but when you screw on a BH....problems rear their ugly head. The BH end of your arrow is key.

I've seen a pretty significant difference between Axis 5mm shafts right out of the saw [poorly mated]....vs ones I run on my jig to true the ends. It not only squares everything up...but makes it a tighter mating surface.

I do like the idea of collars...makes sense...but I have had so little issue with these plain trued ends...I don't even bother, YMMV.

over all....I think the 4mm shafts can be made into a good arrow.....but I think Brendan said it best; whats the upside?

No doubt a guy can get these to work...please don't take my comments as criticizing.....just different strokes is all.

MattB

WKR
I just got some of the Easton Ti half-outs to run with my Injexion 330's. Anyone have an educated perspective on what length to cut the shafts for 65#/27.5 and 125 grade. pt? I normally cut at 28" but likely need to go shorter with the 55 grain half out.

OP
mfllood3800
I just measure the length that protrudes past where the shaft sits and include that in my calculation for over all arrow length.
If you have a draw board, you can set it up that way and mark the arrow with one of the half outs set there as well.

Matt, I am at 29” draw, 65#s with 330 Carbon Injexions and 100 gr heads (Prime Rival). 125 gr heads do not shoot as well. Firenock 34 gr outsert with d-6 20 gr insert in the stock location for reinforcing. 28” of carbon showing between nock and outsert. Hope that helps.

I’d put the outsert on your existing shaft with hotmelt and try it. If it is weak, remove the outsert and cut it an inch, etc. Good luck!

Brendan

WKR
whats wrong with just running the deep six inserts? maybe double stacking them and using a heavier head?

I like this setup, and I don't...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/archery/69755-gold-tip-pierce-platinum-deep-6-a.html

125 Grain Broadhead selection for Deep 6 sort of sucks - there just aren't that many. Iron will is a great option for fixed blades, you can get Wac 'Em which work well, I never found a good mechanical that I liked yet. F**k Grim Reapers ;)

I'd like brass inserts, but they're not available like the 5mm HIT where 50gr and 75 gr options are availble. Part of me wants to have some of these custom made. It's been done, but can't be sold because of Easton's patents.

I haven't broken one - but the insert and broadhead ferrule are narrower diameter, thus naturally not as strong.

If it matters to you - lighted nocks suck on the 4mm arrows.

It was a pain in the ass and expensive to get the arrows set up the way I wanted, but they did fly great...

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
I like this setup, and I don't...

http://www.rokslide.com/forums/archery/69755-gold-tip-pierce-platinum-deep-6-a.html

125 Grain Broadhead selection for Deep 6 sort of sucks - there just aren't that many. Iron will is a great option for fixed blades, you can get Wac 'Em which work well, I never found a good mechanical that I liked yet. F**k Grim Reapers ;)

I'd like brass inserts, but they're not available like the 5mm HIT where 50gr and 75 gr options are availble. Part of me wants to have some of these custom made. It's been done, but can't be sold because of Easton's patents.

I haven't broken one - but the insert and broadhead ferrule are narrower diameter, thus naturally not as strong.

If it matters to you - lighted nocks suck on the 4mm arrows.

It was a pain in the ass and expensive to get the arrows set up the way I wanted, but they did fly great...

I agree with the lighted nock issue on the 4mm. I found the most durable for me was nocturnal, but those would start wobble after a hundred or so shots. That might seem like a lot of shots, but its really only 3 days of shooting. I did replace them before the hunt, and test them and headed out and they were great.
One time I was on a stalk , had an arrow nocked, and the b/head caught a branch, I pulled it loose and continued. Fortunately I check everything all the time and noticed the nock was bent, severely.
This probably could've happened on any of them, but the insert is so small and pretty fragile.

Brendan

WKR
I agree with the lighted nock issue on the 4mm. I found the most durable for me was nocturnal, but those would start wobble after a hundred or so shots. That might seem like a lot of shots, but its really only 3 days of shooting. I did replace them before the hunt, and test them and headed out and they were great.
One time I was on a stalk , had an arrow nocked, and the b/head caught a branch, I pulled it loose and continued. Fortunately I check everything all the time and noticed the nock was bent, severely.
This probably could've happened on any of them, but the insert is so small and pretty fragile.

Took me less than 5 shots for nockturnals to start blowing up on the Pierce Platinums for me. Granted - that's at about 85lbs of KE.

Listening to Dudley talk, he's commented on this a couple times as a reason he won't shoot micro diameter arrows - says it's an issue with stiffness / rigidity of the nock when you use 4mm arrows because of the compromises that need to be made for the thin shaft, and it can cause accuracy issues.

OP
mfllood3800
Took me less than 5 shots for nockturnals to start blowing up on the Pierce Platinums for me. Granted - that's at about 85lbs of KE.

Listening to Dudley talk, he's commented on this a couple times as a reason he won't shoot micro diameter arrows - says it's an issue with stiffness / rigidity of the nock when you use 4mm arrows because of the compromises that need to be made for the thin shaft, and it can cause accuracy issues.

That's crazy bad
My BEA at 502 grs and 283 fps are calculating a KE of around 89 ft#s
I can get the wobble out that manifests in my set up by manipulating them, but I know even though I may not "See" the wobble any more, its there to some degree, so they get thrown into the early season practice stash where I'm just doing reps.

I also reserved my string as the nocturnals were really tight, once I did that I was fine up to a 100 on most, even more on others.