What's The Best Back Tension Release To Begin With?

HookUp

WKR
With a resistance you can manipulate it just like anything else. For me when it wouldn’t fire I’d yank it like I was starting a damn lawn mower.

I'm pretty sure this is why John Dudley is not available for coaching. He shows a smooth controlled pull through even demonstrating on his son which muscle to use and certain folks want to go Briggs and Straton on it.

For the folks that can not control themselves in front of a target, yes archery is not for you. Move along and sell your bow cheap on archery talk! ;)

bat-cave

WKR
I am admittedly not very good at shooting with back tension! I have found that the back tension release I am able to shoot the best (not going to win any shoots anytime soon!) is the Truball Sweet Spot II. I like the safety as it gives me a bit more confience if I need to let down after seemingly minutes of praying the darn thing will go off. :)

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hookup thats why they make different releases. Aron Snyder talks about his inability to shoot a thumb release because he wants to break the barrel off it when he punches the trigger and from all accounts I’ve heard he’s a pretty damn good shooter. I’ll stick to my hinge for now and work in a thumb for hunting. Or maybe I’ll hunt with the hinge. I haven’t decided yet.

OP
bguitierez
I'm pretty sure this is why John Dudley is not available for coaching. He shows a smooth controlled pull through even demonstrating on his son which muscle to use and certain folks want to go Briggs and Straton on it.

For the folks that can not control themselves in front of a target, yes archery is not for you. Move along and sell your bow cheap on archery talk! ;)
Well there's an honest opinion haha!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
I am admittedly not very good at shooting with back tension! I have found that the back tension release I am able to shoot the best (not going to win any shoots anytime soon!) is the Truball Sweet Spot II. I like the safety as it gives me a bit more confience if I need to let down after seemingly minutes of praying the darn thing will go off. :)
Looking forward to my attempt and getting a pull through to work. I need to get the he'll away from a trigger.

OP
bguitierez
Hookup thats why they make different releases. Aron Snyder talks about his inability to shoot a thumb release because he wants to break the barrel off it when he punches the trigger and from all accounts I’ve heard he’s a pretty damn good shooter. I’ll stick to my hinge for now and work in a thumb for hunting. Or maybe I’ll hunt with the hinge. I haven’t decided yet.
That's the exact problem I have with my thumb release. I won't ever go back to a wrist wrap trigger. Hoping after I learn the mechanics of the pull through that I'll get away from the desire to punch the trigger. haha. just being honest.

I had the same problem with a wrist strap trigger release, was a pretty decent drive by shooter! Picked up a Stan Element, shot it for 2 years, killed an elk and took second place in a big trail shoot. Made it real easy to transition over to a hinge release. Once you get it give it some time to get used to it, start real close to the target until you get the hang of it and get it adjusted to work with you. The thumb safety works great so you shouldn’t have any fat lip incidents!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
bguitierez
I had the same problem with a wrist strap trigger release, was a pretty decent drive by shooter! Picked up a Stan Element, shot it for 2 years, killed an elk and took second place in a big trail shoot. Made it real easy to transition over to a hinge release. Once you get it give it some time to get used to it, start real close to the target until you get the hang of it and get it adjusted to work with you. The thumb safety works great so you shouldn’t have any fat lip incidents!

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's appreciated advice. I plan to start close to the target...essentially, my approach will be to re-learn how to shoot a bow. Using the fundamentals I already know, addressing the obstacles I cannot negotiate with a trigger or thumb, and hopefully come out as a better archer.

I would definitely include the Carter Evolution or Nock on's Silver Back, as these are for sure the types that allow the best surprise. They develop quicker than any hinge, thumb types the discipline to wait.
They do force muscles to be used that normally aren't, for me any way, and I have to watch how many shots I take in a set with these.
I have personal issues that prevent me from correctly using a hinge, but really wanted to utilize this.
I will look at a 2 finger hinge in the future, as the 3 or more types wont cut it for me.
But dang, at $200 a pop, I have more in my hand helds than many do in their bow.
lol
I am personally sold on the thumb releases.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv got an element, and am finally shooting it alright

Don't go into it thinking the release will fix you. It's in your head. You can rip off a shot just as easy with the tension release as you can with the others.

OP
bguitierez
Iv got an element, and am finally shooting it alright

Don't go into it thinking the release will fix you. It's in your head. You can rip off a shot just as easy with the tension release as you can with the others.
I'm definitely in the realization this isn't a cure to anything. I'm trying to approach it as a tool to achieve a better shot. I like the idea of applying my back tension as I am letting the pin float without also thinking of a trigger squeeze. at this point that's what's driving me nuts! Guess I look at it like a golf swing haha. It's the little things I'm trying to improve on and apply to my whole shot seequense.

Lawnboi

WKR
I'm definitely in the realization this isn't a cure to anything. I'm trying to approach it as a tool to achieve a better shot. I like the idea of applying my back tension as I am letting the pin float without also thinking of a trigger squeeze. at this point that's what's driving me nuts! Guess I look at it like a golf swing haha. It's the little things I'm trying to improve on and apply to my whole shot seequense.

I'm actually going to give the thumb trigger a try again this year. I ended up getting a pairing thumb release and plan on training with the element and running a perfect long neck for hunting. The resistance release is great in that it demands consistency, and I'm now finally seeing much less pin float with the element when pulling, the problem is getting it to go off smooth when my pin float is at its smallest

I'm actually going to give the thumb trigger a try again this year. I ended up getting a pairing thumb release and plan on training with the element and running a perfect long neck for hunting. The resistance release is great in that it demands consistency, and I'm now finally seeing much less pin float with the element when pulling, the problem is getting it to go off smooth when my pin float is at its smallest

I don't know if this will help you but it did me...... I noticed my bow grip hand in the bow grip was really creating tension on my wrist joint, causing my hand to be bent back to the point there was a lot of tension I was fighting. I Installed some sugru and built up the bottom of the grip to allow my hand to lay less angled and the "vibration", or pressure was gone. I feel it gave me a little more control over my bow hand. This equated, for me anyway, to less moving of my pins.

I like the Stan Perfex thumb button and perfex backtension combo. I struggle a bit with the resistance but after shooting it a while and transitioning to the thumb i shoot the thumb quite a bit better.

WKR
Back tension is a firing engine technique to achieve a surprise release, not a release type. I think John Dudley describes this as a "pull through" technique which I feel is a better description of what a person is (or should be) doing to fire the release.

You can use back tension as the technique to fire any release type, index trigger, thumb trigger, tension activated, hinge, etc. You can also command fire any of those release types though I personally find it very difficult to command fire the tension activated releases with any degree of accuracy.

To learn back tension, IMO, the tension activated releases are best. My personal favorite in this category is the Carter Attraction, which can actually be used as a thumb trigger or a tension activated release with no change in hand position.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't know if this will help you but it did me...... I noticed my bow grip hand in the bow grip was really creating tension on my wrist joint, causing my hand to be bent back to the point there was a lot of tension I was fighting. I Installed some sugru and built up the bottom of the grip to allow my hand to lay less angled and the "vibration", or pressure was gone. I feel it gave me a little more control over my bow hand. This equated, for me anyway, to less moving of my pins.

I shoot with my forearm up totally relaxed. Only thing I don't like about Hoyt is thier grip angle, part of the reason I'm going to be picking up a Mathews to try this year. My hand always wants to creep up with the Hoyt, and feels very uncomfortable when pushed up high on the grip. I also shoot bare riser.

I wish Hoyt would put the adjustable grip on thier hunting bows that they have on thier target bows

OP
bguitierez
Stan Element or Perfex Resistance.
Got it yesterday. Great suggestion brother. I still have the weight set kind of heavy. But man...been chasing a surprise release for 2 years now. I can't tell you how good it felt to be able to just focus on aiming and pulling. Still gotta get precise with it, but out of the box (after some really close familiarization shots) I went back to 20 and man, what a difference not having a trigger makes in my shot. Thanks for the advice I appreciate ya bro!20180425_184921.jpg