Glasses shooting a Compound?

bat-cave

WKR
Foilks,

This getting old thing sucks! My eyesight has declined a bit and I now am resorting to earing glasses for things like driving and very small print reading. I find that it's hard for me to shoot with glasses on (sunglasses or otherwise). Any tricks for those that do this all the time? The next challenge is that when wearing my glasses (nearsighted), so when i can see the target more clearly, seeing my pins is harder. I have tried a progressive lens, but this forces me to move my head up and down to find focus ... which of course is bad.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

541hunter

WKR
Foilks,

This getting old thing sucks! My eyesight has declined a bit and I now am resorting to earing glasses for things like driving and very small print reading. I find that it's hard for me to shoot with glasses on (sunglasses or otherwise). Any tricks for those that do this all the time? The next challenge is that when wearing my glasses (nearsighted), so when i can see the target more clearly, seeing my pins is harder. I have tried a progressive lens, but this forces me to move my head up and down to find focus ... which of course is bad.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Technically it is physically impossible to focus on both the pin and target at the same time (at least according to my eye doc). I got glasses 2 seasons ago and it just took practice getting used to shooting through them. I focus on the target and let the pins blur out a tad. Any time I shoot I force myself to use them or else I don't shoot. The one exception is blank bailing. I haven't had any issues with glasses during hunting but I don't actually put them on until it's go time. Contacts gave me nothing but fits and were a pain for me to change out when out in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
What 541 said, it is impossible to focus on two objects at different distances at the same time. If you want to see your pins better you need to get a verifier peep system from specialty archery.

OR Archer

WKR
Look at getting a varifier peep set up from Specialty Archery. If you need glasses for mainly up close this could be the answer you’re looking for. You’d want to try it out at your shop so you could find the right power varifier for your eyesight.

I went out and shot today with my new auto tint glasses and was fine. It can be done- just get used to it. I think I shot better with them on lol

Fatcamp

WKR
Single vision
Look through sights and bring target into focus
Practice
Practice more

Verifiers really work well. Just need to get the right one. look into your local laws as well. also need to really watch your peep when hunting to ensure it doesn't get wet. I have used them for target, but not hunting. They do clear up the sight picture very well.

In Colorado you can't use verifiers while hunting (yet) who knows maybe that will change, bummer because I need one also.

kicker338

WKR
Been wearing glasses for about 30yrs. now and here is how I've handled it. Peep is going to blur so I just got used to it. It's really not that big of a problem as even when blurred, your eye can still be centered in it. Pins and peep both blurring is a real pain and I just lived with it for a long time. It really didn't affect my accuracy much out to 60yds. which was my max range for shooting. Morning and evening was a different story though, the blur with the pins stopped me around 40yds. too much blur to shoot farther. If you've read my post so far you should have noticed the use of the word was and not is. First the was with blurred peep still is but the blurred pins is no more, a change over to my current sight, an EZV one solved the blurred pin problem once and for all. Don't know what else I can say about it guys.

Need to add one more thing, morning and evening shooting is no longer a problem and I now shoot out to 80yds which I couldn't do pryor to switching to the new sight.

I been having this problem the last few years. I am an awful hunter without my contacts in. But I prefer shooting with them off. Through the peep I can see just fine without my contacts. Is that normal? Because of this I even started to make a small peep with my fingers/hands to look through off my couch to double check the score of a game if I am watching a game without my contacts and when I look through the small hole I make with my hands I can see the score in perfect focus.

I got glasses a couple of seasons ago also and I cannot shoot with them on, I have two pairs and on both at anchor the frame dissects my peep. thinking about lasik....

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
My vision only really gets blurry when I'm tired and that's when I put the glasses on. With my old bow i couldnt shoot with glasses on due to the string angle, with my new bows i haven't tried yet but need to really get started doing it. I've noticed come the rut (whitetails in MO) I've become run down from work all summer and hunting a lot through October. This thread is helping me see I'm not alone on needing to hunt with glasses.

chindits

WKR
Yea it sucks. It really sucks in the shade and limited light as the pins totally disappear. I have a verifier for target shooting and I love it, but I can't use it for hunting due to CPW regulations. When I try wearing glasses, be it sunglasses or reading glasses or whatever the eyeglass frame gets in the way of my line of sight. I just haven't been able to change my entire shooting form yet to wear glasses. This might be the first year I don't archery hunt. I have thought about writing to CPW to ask for a medical exception to a verifier since it is not a target magnifier. I don't know why, but I think even with the aging hunting demographics I doubt they will approve it. Kind of funny considering the shoulder surgery people I've heard of getting crossbow exceptions.

Last edited: