Too heavy?

RyanCmns

WKR
Alright, I know this is has been gone over way to many times! I'm looking for opinions on my arrow setup though. I'm shooting Black Eagle deep impacts 300 spine with the stainless outsert and 100 grain heads 4 fletch and nockturnels. They weight in right around 510grains. I'm shooting a elite ritual @ 28" that setup chrono'd @ 247fps. I'm considering bumping up to 125 grain heads. I want a solid FOC setup. What do I have to lose? Is there such a thing as too slow? Am I over thinking this? I know this setup is gonna penetrate like nobody's business. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

amp713

WKR
Shot 500 ish arrows for the last 10 years and had no issues weight wise.

This year I went a little wild and am at 658... I think its really personal choice. First year I've had to use a dedicated 20 yard pin but they are killing foam, shoot great in the wind and are quiet. Still waiting on the new broadheads to get here but I dont think I went too far on the heavy side.

OP
RyanCmns

RyanCmns

WKR
Shot 500 ish arrows for the last 10 years and had no issues weight wise.

This year I went a little wild and am at 658... I think its really personal choice. First year I've had to use a dedicated 20 yard pin but they are killing foam, shoot great in the wind and are quiet. Still waiting on the new broadheads to get here but I dont think I went too far on the heavy side.
Can you give me some more info on your arrow how did you get to 658?

Alright, I know this is has been gone over way to many times! I'm looking for opinions on my arrow setup though. I'm shooting Black Eagle deep impacts 300 spine with the stainless outsert and 100 grain heads 4 fletch and nockturnels. They weight in right around 510grains. I'm shooting a elite ritual @ 28" that setup chrono'd @ 247fps. I'm considering bumping up to 125 grain heads. I want a solid FOC setup. What do I have to lose? Is there such a thing as too slow? Am I over thinking this? I know this setup is gonna penetrate like nobody's business. Any thoughts are appreciated! Thanks!

Ryan,
The big questions are how do they group now? How do they fly now?
If they are solid in flight and group great- I would leave it alone. Most of The larger broadheads come with more area to get into the wind effecting many things. I personally like high FOC, though not EFOC. But never at the cost of inconsistent grouping.
I am guessing your FOC is already at 11-12%?, nothing wrong with that at all.

Go shoot these and make a decision after that.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
If you like the skinny shafts and strictly want to increase FOC, why not switch to the x-impacts? You’d be able to up your FOC, and keep your total arrow weight about the same..... the SS outsert (100 gr) for the Instinct 600 should fit the x impact 300.

Just a matter of you being happy with your setup. It's still faster than a stick bow, and guys kill with those every year. If you get the groups you want and the pin gap isn't an issue for you then go for it. If FOC is the name of the game maybe drop to a 3 fletch with more helical instead of your current 4 fletch setup.

OP
RyanCmns

RyanCmns

WKR
Just a matter of you being happy with your setup. It's still faster than a stick bow, and guys kill with those every year. If you get the groups you want and the pin gap isn't an issue for you then go for it. If FOC is the name of the game maybe drop to a 3 fletch with more helical instead of your current 4 fletch setup.
I'm still working on my groups they aren't bad I just need more range time!

OP
RyanCmns

RyanCmns

WKR
If you like the skinny shafts and strictly want to increase FOC, why not switch to the x-impacts? You’d be able to up your FOC, and keep your total arrow weight about the same..... the SS outsert (100 gr) for the Instinct 600 should fit the x impact 300.
I like the skinny shafts of these don't group the way I want I was thinking of going back to Easton axis I've had good results with them

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
These are my opinions.......

You need just enough fletching to overcome the wings on the front of the arrow in order to stabilize said arrow.

You need just enough FOC to stabilize the arrow and give decent straight flight.

You need just enough arrow weight to give enough efficiency to quiet the bow and provide enough momentum so that your BH reaches the vitals (or passes through the vitals.......whatever your goal is).

You need just enough draw weight that you can draw comfortably in all situations.

Notice that speed isn't mentioned. When traditional guys are killing with setups in the 160's, speed really isn't a factor unless you're shooting further and estimating range every time.

I have shot arrows at 9% FOC that shot very well long range and penetrated just fine. Each piece of the puzzle is just that......one piece of the puzzle.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
5MilesBack has an excellent post. I actually think FOC is overrated. If you are anywhere over 10%, which is more than enough to stabilize most hunting set ups, you have plenty. If you plan on shooting at any distance, say 60 yards or more, a set up shooting 230FPS is not ideal. Others are right that people shooting traditional archery equipment are shooting much less speed, but they also don't shoot at the longer distances. Much of this topic is very specific to the individual archer and the type of hunting. If you only hunt whitetails from a tree stand and 30 yards is your max range, then load up the front to make you happy, but if you hunt out west and know 60 yards is likely, 240 FPS I don't think is the way to go with today's modern archery equipment. There is a tipping point were too slow or even to fast has it downfalls.

amp713

WKR
Can you give me some more info on your arrow how did you get to 658?

I run dangerous game FMJs at 28.5, 4 fletch AAE with wrap and a 125 gr head. I cut the extra weight off the HIT insert before gluing them in.

OP
RyanCmns

RyanCmns

WKR
Thanks for all the replys. I should have titled this different that arrow I set up for elk. I'm very happy with that arrow for elk my issue is I also drew a antelope tag I was hoping to be able to get away using 1 arrow. Lol I'm not so sure I can do that unless I'm hunting water. Looks like I need to look for a 8gpi arrow setup for a possible long shot