Home bow tunning/arrow building recommendations

Whitetaildown215

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to get a bow press and voice for the house so I can start messing with my own stuff and not have to pay a shop to do something if I want something done. Also looking to get everything to start building my own arrows. Those of you that have this stuff what do you recommend? I don't have anything g currently. I want to be able to cut, fletch, and everything else for testing arrows.

Good for you.
There is a lot of good equipment out there for you to get. Prices vary depending on if you're a pro shop or DIY or in between
Look at all of the options and decide what is best for you.
Some items are more critical than others but a few are critical to have for what you described
Here is a basic list with some suggestions to help keep your cost down, most which should be found at shops like Lancaster Archery, they are in no particular order...

Press- LCA easy green
Vice - Apple economy vice
Draw Board- can make your own easy and cheap or buy one that fits into your LCA easy green bow press
Fletching jig- Bitzenberger
Arrow Saw- T bird Modular saw
level- Hamskea easy 3rd axis level get 2
arrow squaring tool- from G5
scale - X Spot digital scale
Pine Ridge arrow inspecter
Arrow de fletcher- Bohning stripper
Chrono graph - Caldwell
Glues for fletching, primer pens for fletching, epoxies, rubberized CA glues for inserts, outserts etc

Good for you.
There is a lot of good equipment out there for you to get. Prices vary depending on if you're a pro shop or DIY or in between
Look at all of the options and decide what is best for you.
Some items are more critical than others but a few are critical to have for what you described
Here is a basic list with some suggestions to help keep your cost down, most which should be found at shops like Lancaster Archery, they are in no particular order...

Press- LCA easy green
Vice - Apple economy vice
Draw Board- can make your own easy and cheap or buy one that fits into your LCA easy green bow press
Fletching jig- Bitzenberger
Arrow Saw- T bird Modular saw
level- Hamskea easy 3rd axis level get 2
arrow squaring tool- from G5
scale - X Spot digital scale
Pine Ridge arrow inspecter
Arrow de fletcher- Bohning stripper
Chrono graph - Caldwell
Glues for fletching, primer pens for fletching, epoxies, rubberized CA glues for inserts, outserts etc

Some great gear here. The Bitz fletching jig is good especially if you want to experiment with different fletching types, feathers or 3 and 4 fletch. I would say if you wanted to save a little then the first thing I would drop is the saw. Getting shafts cut is cheap and can be easily done when you order them.

The scale is listed above. I use an RCBS digital reloading scale and use it a lot to check for weight variances on everything and total arrow weight.

A couple recommended adds.
-good set of individual Allen wrench’s
-weight insert tool
-rifle cleaning rod, I used this to clean the inside of the shaft prior to gluing insert. Amazing how dirty they can be.
-bow draw weight scale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I built an arrow saw with an old dremel type saw I did not use. Works great for the few times I use it. I got the idea on AT But you can't go wrong with the list posted above

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Those are great suggestions and will give you a great start.

I wouldn't skimp on the press. Many presses today are not safe to use with certain bows made today. Check out the manufacturer you like to use and see what the recommended. But remember that as technology changes in bows, presses might have to change too. There are certain brands that are designed to be updated or modified/adjusted to work with new limb/cam designs as they come out. I use LCA but I know there are several other solid brands out there that offer enough adjustability to feel pretty safe your next bow will work too.

I think you have some pretty good suggestions so far. I will add that many of the tools needed for bow maintenance can be made by yourself for a fraction of the real tools. However, one area not to skimp is the bow press. Make sure that your bow and press are compatible. An arrow saw is pretty uneccessary these days as you can get the shafts cut to your length when you order them.

I use this vise for a bow vise, 2-1/2" Table Swivel Vise

I just thread a 5/16×24 8 inch bolt into my stabilizer mount and thread two jam nuts and it doesn't move. Works great as a starter vise. Its not perfect but serves its purpose.

If you are gonna build your own arrows i suggest the firenock APS.

APS & PAPS — Firenock

Its an arrow spinner and squaring device in the same tool plus you can square the fletched ends if you buy arrows already fletched.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk