Arrow setup comparison

So, I think I'm down to splitting hairs here, and I hope I didn't go too crazy on being heavy like this, but here is where I am.

60lb Obsession Turmoil RZ @ 28"

Arrow is a VAP 350 with 95gr SS insert/outserts. 7" wrap and 3 fletched AAE Max Stealths.

With 150gr heads(498gr total) I'm shooting 236 fps which = 61 ft lbs of KE and .521 slugs with 19.1% FOC

With 125gr heads(474gr total weight) I'm at 243fps which = 62ft lbs of KE and .511 slugs with 17.4% FOC

Any suggestions on which way to go? Should I even worry with trying 100gr heads? Momentum will just decrease even more, I would think, if I do that.

I'm thinking of sticking with the 150s for the increased momentum.

Just for a comparison for the light and fast crowd, a 340gr arrow was right around 280 with KE @ 59ft lbs and .42 slugs. So you don't lose much in the way of KE with a lighter, faster arrow, but that's a pretty big difference in momentum.

Shoot the point that flies the best, whether 150, 125 or 100 grs and enjoy your hunt. All, including the 100 gr heads will kill just fine. I've shot Polar, Brown, and Grizzly bears, moose, elk, muskox, bison (smaller stuff too) with 100 gr heads on arrows from 375 to 515 gr total weight from 60-65# compound bows with a 29" draw. They all died just fine and penetration was adequate. Good flight and shot placement with a decent broadhead...fixed or expandable are way more critical than minutia over what the arrow weighs, KE and momentum assuming you are a man shooting hunting weight bows and arrows.

Just simple physics. Penetration will always increase with increased arrow mass (there is a practical limit depending on the bow, but it's at least double the arrow weights you're considering). A heavier broadhead (esp. 150+) is going to be built better and outperform "Wal-Mart weight" broadheads. Can cheap, conventional set ups kill stuff? Duh, that's not the question. The question is what happens when something goes wrong? When an animal turns, or bone is hit, or the only shot you get is on an odd angle? If you can't decide, do some destructive testing, it will make up your mind for you.

Trajectory is another consideration. You've already cut yourself off at the knees at 60lbs, but I think you are better off banking on a heavy arrow/broadhead performing on impact, and making sure you are spot on with your range.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

OP
quackaddict
Shoot the point that flies the best, whether 150, 125 or 100 grs and enjoy your hunt. All, including the 100 gr heads will kill just fine. I've shot Polar, Brown, and Grizzly bears, moose, elk, muskox, bison (smaller stuff too) with 100 gr heads on arrows from 375 to 515 gr total weight from 60-65# compound bows with a 29" draw. They all died just fine and penetration was adequate. Good flight and shot placement with a decent broadhead...fixed or expandable are way more critical than minutia over what the arrow weighs, KE and momentum assuming you are a man shooting hunting weight bows and arrows.
Speaking of heads, I'm planning on shooting either Buzzcuts with the bleeders, Cutthroats, or Kudupoints.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
quackaddict
Just simple physics. Penetration will always increase with increased arrow mass (there is a practical limit depending on the bow, but it's at least double the arrow weights you're considering). A heavier broadhead (esp. 150+) is going to be built better and outperform "Wal-Mart weight" broadheads. Can cheap, conventional set ups kill stuff? Duh, that's not the question. The question is what happens when something goes wrong? When an animal turns, or bone is hit, or the only shot you get is on an odd angle? If you can't decide, do some destructive testing, it will make up your mind for you.

Trajectory is another consideration. You've already cut yourself off at the knees at 60lbs, but I think you are better off banking on a heavy arrow/broadhead performing on impact, and making sure you are spot on with your range.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Got a bad shoulder, so 60 is about all I can stand anymore if i shoot more than 6 arrows a day.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk