Kifarucast Broadhead Opinions

WKR
I was listening to Aron talk about the NAP killzone's and how they have changed something about their blades and now they do NOT recommend them as a good mechanical broadhead. I'm curious as to what they are recommending currently and couldn't find a podcast about it. The recent Broadhead Review podcast was geared towards traditional archery from what I could tell (didn't listen to the whole thing). Or, maybe I just didn't listen to the right part.

Thinking I may go with the Rage hypo +P for elk. I shot the low KE killzones at 280ish fps on a 470 grain arrow for elk the last couple of years (2 pass throughs), no complaints, but the change in blades seems to be bad news and I like the 1.5" cut and the swept back design of the +P model, but haven't ever shot rage for anything.

I was listening to Aron talk about the NAP killzone's and how they have changed something about their blades and now they do NOT recommend them as a good mechanical broadhead. I'm curious as to what they are recommending currently and couldn't find a podcast about it. The recent Broadhead Review podcast was geared towards traditional archery from what I could tell (didn't listen to the whole thing). Or, maybe I just didn't listen to the right part.

Thinking I may go with the Rage hypo +P for elk. I shot the low KE killzones at 280ish fps on a 470 grain arrow for elk the last couple of years (2 pass throughs), no complaints, but the change in blades seems to be bad news and I like the 1.5" cut and the swept back design of the +P model, but haven't ever shot rage for anything.

I think that podcast ended up being a fixed blade review. If I recall, Aron and Frank mentioned coming back with a show dedicated to mechanical heads. I’m looking forward to it.

I’ve been shy of the long ferrule Killzones and/or 2” cut 2-blades because of penetration. Sounds like they performed well for you though. I’ve been shooting the 3-blade NAP Spitfire Maxx’s which have a 1.75” cut for whitetail. If and when I come out West, I may switch to a small fixed head like a stainless steel Slick Trick or NAP Nitro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends entirely on what you want to accomplish. With that head, you are strictly limited to soft tissue hits. Maybe frontal shots, and your typical broadside shot. Hit a shoulder and it's game over. Hard quartering to or away shots probably aren't going to turn out. Any of the off the shelf at cabelas type heads are going to be more or less in the same boat. Junk 420 SS blades that aren't hard enough to take a real edge, and won't retain it very long. I've liked the experiences I've had with Rages (Hypodermics) and Gravediggers, but they do limit what kind of shots can be lethal. I've never had a failure and they produce great wound channels, but they have significant limitations.

Deere83

Lil-Rokslider
If you have the time to really tune your bow look at iron will and some of the other fixed blades they’ll do anything a mechanical will and more

Thess87

WKR
I know frank said he’s shooting the deadmeats right bows and I’ve heard Aaron say he really liked them to they just rattle a little in the quiver.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

HookUp

WKR
Grimm reapers and Naps are having quality issues. I had a NAP killzone break off both blades in my rinehart after the second shot and Ive heard the same is happening with grimm reapers. I listened to a podcast with the iron will guys and they said the average spent by a company producing broadheads is $3 per head. I have ordered some Iron wills and am moving to the quality fixed camp for elk/mule deer. The rage trypan is a great expandable if you want to stay with an expandable, or wait until the Ulmer Edges are released in July.