broadheads supposed to hit way lower than field points?

dpidaho

FNG
hi there. i'm brand new here and this is my first attempt writing or asking something. i'm new at archery, but have rifle hunted for some time. I'm shooting good groups at 20 yrds, but when shooting broadheads they are consistently 5-6 inches low and to the left. both are 125 grain. I'm shooting a 10 yr old hoyt bow at 63 lbs using thunderhead broadheads. I know they're a cheaper broadhead. can that be my problem? would raising to 70 lbs bring them closer? I must confess I harvested a nice buck at 50 yrds last fall and the broadhead didn't drop at all. I hadn't a broadhead target yet at the time so just trusted the gentleman i purchased bow from that the broadheads would shoot right on with practice points. I was also wondering if keeping 125 gr field points and switching to 100 gr broadheads would bring them together? again, please excuse my ignorance here- I don't have any friends who bowhunt to bounce questions off . thanks .

Jbehredt

WKR
Search for the “Easton tuning guide” online. It helped me a great deal when I started working on my own setups. None of the ideas you bounced here are going to help.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been shooting Thunderhead 100s since I started bowhunting in 1992. I've never had any issues with them. My broadheads and field points have always hit the same place. Bow tuning may be your issue? I spin my arrows with the broadheads installed in my hand. I'm doing this to make sure they don't have a wobble.

Tilzbow

WKR
Raise your rest a little at a time until the two groups come together horizontally and then adjust your sight to bring both groups back to the same level as the bullseye. To help with the left impact we need to know what bow you’re shooting, right hand or left hand, the draw weight, your draw length, arrow spine, and arrow length.

Last edited:
OP
dpidaho

dpidaho

FNG
great advice Tilzbow! i'll try that out. and thanks for follow up video cg2737.- was a big help! cant believe I've never heard that. i'm thinking my rest may have got knocked out of whack while packing buck out last year as my bow took a pretty bad tumble when I fell.not sure though.

Olbadae

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve recently had a similar issue after backing off my draw weight a bit. My broadheads hit 6inch high and a bit left every time. After lots and lots of “tuning” with no improvement I learned that I was simply overspined with my arrows. Turned the poundage back up and I was able to dial it right in....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
dpidaho

dpidaho

FNG
good to know. i'll do that first before I start moving my rests and sights.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Probably a tune issue. My broadheads hit with field points to 50 yards then just slightly lower after that as there is more drag, like 3” at 70 yards

Last edited:
OP
dpidaho

dpidaho

FNG
good to know. awesome hearing from u Robby! I've heard u on several podcasts and your one of my favorites to listen to. my biggest passion is mule deer hunting also and I've gotten lots of tips and advice from listening to you. i'm brand new to rokslide and should have came here much sooner. seems like a great resource with lots of knowledgeable members very willing to share what they know to help others!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
good to know. awesome hearing from u Robby! I've heard u on several podcasts and your one of my favorites to listen to. my biggest passion is mule deer hunting also and I've gotten lots of tips and advice from listening to you. i'm brand new to rokslide and should have came here much sooner. seems like a great resource with lots of knowledgeable members very willing to share what they know to help others!
dpidaho, Well great to have you on here, you’ll find there’s lots of guys on here with helpful hints and tips. Glad you’re part of the crowd.

OP
dpidaho

dpidaho

FNG
hey robby! finally drew Idaho rifle unit 44- been listening to a bunch of your old podcasts on avery adventures and other podcasts you were guest on. my favorite was the seminar you gave highlighting your 4 bucks from 2015-2018. I feel yours are the most helpful for harvesting mature deer and I listen to them several times to stay pumped and motivated for this hunt. I don't have atvs or horses but hope with hard work I can have a successful hunt. just wanted to say thanks for all the great interviews and content you put out there. I hope you have a great hunting season!

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey DpIdaho,

I’ll be there helping a friend with the rifle elk tag October 1st-14th. Could exchange info if your season overlaps. And relay info on any mule deer if we see one and likewise for You with elk.

ndbuck09

WKR
Hey Man, if you're relatively new to archery, just know that the bucket is vast and deep. I'm guessing you don't have a drawboard and press? You really need to start with ensuring that your cams are in sync, ie: they roll over exactly the same together and your string hits the draw stop at the same time (so many variables in this: string age/stretch, where your nock point is, if your limbs are backed out evenly). Then once you have that, you can move on to dialing in moving your rest in 1/32nd increments to bring your broadheads and field points together. Not sure where you live but honestly, getting to a hoyt shop and paying for a tune would probably be worth it for you, just make sure that the tune you pay for is not a 15 minute thing but rather they actually take time with you to get you shooting it well, either with a bareshaft or through paper.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey robby! finally drew Idaho rifle unit 44- been listening to a bunch of your old podcasts on avery adventures and other podcasts you were guest on. my favorite was the seminar you gave highlighting your 4 bucks from 2015-2018. I feel yours are the most helpful for harvesting mature deer and I listen to them several times to stay pumped and motivated for this hunt. I don't have atvs or horses but hope with hard work I can have a successful hunt. just wanted to say thanks for all the great interviews and content you put out there. I hope you have a great hunting season!

Well thank you very much. Do your best on that tag, it’s hard to get for a reason. I’m sure with hard work and enough days, you should have an opportunity at a good buck.