60 lbs to light for elk?

Hey guys I’m trying to put together a used bow from archery talk for a friend who is coming elk hunting with me this September I found a pretty good deal on an old elite GT500 fully loaded, 60 lb limbs 28 inch draw. I know I wouldn’t think twice killing a whitetail with this, will this be undergunned for elk? I was thinking of matching it up with a 450-500 grain arrow.

Dunndm

WKR
Hey guys I’m trying to put together a used bow from archery talk for a friend who is coming elk hunting with me this September I found a pretty good deal on an old elite GT500 fully loaded, 60 lb limbs 28 inch draw. I know I wouldn’t think twice killing a whitetail with this, will this be undergunned for elk? I was thinking of matching it up with a 450-500 grain arrow.

No, that's a really average DL/poundage. Most guys on here will say use a heavy arrow and it's all about shot accuracy/placement. I mean I'm lucky I shoot 60/31.25" but that would be fine. Just use a 2 blade CoC BH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

541hunter

WKR

I shoot a Matthews halon 6 at 60lbs with 26.5" draw length. Arrow weight is around 420. And just for reference i last chronoed it at 256fps. I used the slick trick viper trick broadhead.

Jbehredt

WKR
That’s a good setup for elk. I shoot 62 and my biggest gripe on the last couple elk has been losing my German kinetic broadheads on pass throughs.

NDGuy

WKR
I shoot a Matthews halon 6 at 60lbs with 26.5" draw length. Arrow weight is around 420. And just for reference i last chronoed it at 256fps. I used the slick trick viper trick broadhead.

This will be close to my setup. 26" draw 65lbs shooting a Hoyt Nitrum 30. I just got Easton Axis 340s with 50gr brass inserts. I will be using the same broadheads.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to use a setup like that. Performance wise it should be rite with my 28", 70lb Katera XL that I use as my backup (I originally bought it specifically for elk hunting) that has worked just fine on elk.

Jacack

WKR
That’s a good setup for elk. I shoot 62 and my biggest gripe on the last couple elk has been losing my German kinetic broadheads on pass throughs.

hate when that happens, i shot a moose a few years ago at 27.5dl 61lbs broadside and saw the fletchings disappear , turned and ran and expected to see it hanging out the other side but no arrow, looked for it for ever, pissed i lost that arrow. third trip out i find it just barely in a sapling 15 or so yards beyond the area i hit him. slipped between ribs both sides. 60lbs is plenty with modern bows and broadheads

60 lbs is fine, you're on the right track as far as arrow weight. get a strong razor sharp fixed blade to fly like a laser and he'll be zipping through vitals.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say you will be good with that setup. An arrow like you describe with a sharp broadhead and well tuned bow will zip through on any shot that doesn't hit hard bone like the shoulder. Put the arrow where it bleeds or breathes and he will be notching a tag.

Vandal 44

WKR
I think you will be just fine as well. I took several elk with a 60 pound bow. I also to a a big cow elk at 35 yards with a 53 pound Bowtech CPXL got a pass through. This year and many years to come (I hope) I will be hunting with a bow that will max out around 53 pounds, 30" draw and an arrow weight around 450 grains. I am not sure what bow I will be using Halon 32, Realm X or a PSE Evolve 35

bhylton

WKR
trad guys shooting a 500-600gr arrows around 150-160ish fps with good COC BH's kill elk every year. you should be fine:) just get closer

The Bro's will tell you that you need 80lb limbs to kill anything. In reality plenty of Women and youth kill lots of elk each year with 45-60 lb bows. Have confidence and put the arrow where you need to.

He will be fine, I've shot grizzly and brown bears, elk and moose, etc at 60#s. Hope your buddy shoots a dandy.

geriggs

WKR
Will work fine. I've killed them at 60 and 64lbs. all pass throughs. Only ever recovered one arrow. I always use fixed heads like silver flames or Atacs or Solids. This year planning on Iron Wills. I generally shoot a 425-475 gr arrow. Good luck

kcm2

WKR
There was a lady here in Colorado, Shari Fraker, who killed a couple dozen elk with a 50 lb round wheel compound. You'll be fine.

SoDaky

WKR
kcm2 I sure remember reading about her years ago.Bowhunter Mag I think.Hope she's well and still hunting.