Cleaning Releases

JLH208

WKR
My Carter Honey 2 has a squeaky safety. How do you guys go about cleaning your releases? I read the recommendations on Carter’s website but I’m curious how many guys clean their own. Any issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cleaned one of my Wise Choice releases and it made it more crisp since it was getting just a little mushy and just didn't have the same pop my other one had. No issues cleaning just make sure not to use anything that will attract dust and dirt. Putting it back together was easy to see how it needed to go together but not so easy to actually get the 3 springs in the correct spot and closed up. I'm sure the honey 2 is a little different with less springs because it activates differently. If you take your time and sit down shouldn't be any issues. I would take their advice and open it inside a sandwich ziplock the first time. I had a tiny tiny spring that almost shot across the room when I was trying to put mine back together. Luckily it hit my arm and landed in my lap.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
I cleaned one of my Wise Choice releases and it made it more crisp since it was getting just a little mushy and just didn't have the same pop my other one had. No issues cleaning just make sure not to use anything that will attract dust and dirt. Putting it back together was easy to see how it needed to go together but not so easy to actually get the 3 springs in the correct spot and closed up. I'm sure the honey 2 is a little different with less springs because it activates differently. If you take your time and sit down shouldn't be any issues. I would take their advice and open it inside a sandwich ziplock the first time. I had a tiny tiny spring that almost shot across the room when I was trying to put mine back together. Luckily it hit my arm and landed in my lap.

Sounds good, thank you! I used a little gun oil to fix the squeak, which got me thinking it will just collect dirt. What have you tried for lubrication?

Sounds good, thank you! I used a little gun oil to fix the squeak, which got me thinking it will just collect dirt. What have you tried for lubrication?

Ive been using Hornady one who gun cleaner and dry lube

I have the Carter H2.
These are a simple design inside and easily comes apart and reassembles.
I would not use any oil. In fact I would clean it with a good cleaner as mentioned above, and even polish the metal, sears etc on a wheel, and reassemble clean. Once polished you will feel a much better release.

OP
JLH208

JLH208

WKR
I have the Carter H2.
These are a simple design inside and easily comes apart and reassembles.
I would not use any oil. In fact I would clean it with a good cleaner as mentioned above, and even polish the metal, sears etc on a wheel, and reassemble clean. Once polished you will feel a much better release.

Sounds good. Thank you!