Iron will broadhead weight tolerances

I just purchased six 175 solid heads from iron will. Not one of them met the stated 175 weight. Weight was tested on a cheap scale and then again this morning on a $17,000 analytical balance. The weights were as follows;

#1-4 @ 168
#5-6 @ 170

Is them being that underweight that big of a deal? I would have thought they had a little better quality control than this.

Grumman

WKR
I’d be curious to know if the weight variance is in the ferrule or the blade itself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

WKR
I tested 3 125 grain heads quickly. 1 @ roughly 120 grains, 2 @ 122. Thinking it probably wouldn't matter, but the OCD side of me was already thinking about finding the right sized washers to bring the weight up.

MacAttack

FNG
Tagging along...but I am curious if a test was done on another broadhead (other than Iron Will) to see if there is a weight discrepancy there as well?

Tagging along...but I am curious if a test was done on another broadhead (other than Iron Will) to see if there is a weight discrepancy there as well?
I have 5 Solid broadheads with the 1/2" bleeders that weigh.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I just ordered/received 3 100 grain Iron WIll broadheads - also being a bit (lot?) OCD, I weigh all arrow components, nocks, collars, field tips, everything. So, the first thing was to weigh the broadheads - they weighed 102.3 to 102.7 - on two different scales. Btw, they flew great - at 40, 50 and 70 yards last night - hope to do some more testing tonight and this weekend.

Just match them up with your arrows, which also have minor weight variation...or at least my Injexions do...heavy heads go on light arrows and vice versa. I doubt most of us can discern a weight variance of a few grains....heck with field points 25 grains of variance doesn't show up for me at closer ranges...only when I get out there a ways.

OP
K
I’d be curious to know if the weight variance is in the ferrule or the blade itself?

I took two s175 grain heads apart and weighed all the components.

#1 Main Blade - 68.51967 grains
Bleeder Blade - 10.18536 grains
Screw - 3.24080 grains
Ferrule - 87.65580 grains
Total = 169.60163 grains

#2 Main Blade - 68.21102 grains
Bleeder Blade - 9.72239
Screw - 3.39512 grains
Ferrule - 87.50147 grains
Total = 168.83 grains

Trial153

WKR
I doubt you can tell a difference in even an 10 or 15 grains of-weight difference in an meaningful or measurable sense with human mechanics involved.
Those number seem like pretty darn good consistency for a Broadhead.

I bought the six pack of 150's.
I'm gong to weigh them.

My 125's are spot on. Which is what I expect from my arrow components.
Especially when this much is spent on them.

I love the Iron Will B/Heads. But if every component was this lax in consistency, once done building, the tolerances for each arrow then adds up. Would I notice it down range? Maybe, but I definitely notice it as I assemble it and that sort of bothers me.
My cheaper heads seem to be well within a couple grains of each other as well as stated weight.

Last edited:

Trial153

WKR
Statistically speaking the difference is about 1% or less on the the above quoted specs.
Just how do you propose to do better then that on a machined and the sharpend product? We are talking about a broadhead here, not a areospace part.

I guess for me, as stated it won't manifest down range too noticeable

But, as I mentioned, lesser expensive ones, seem to be pretty accurate on claimed weight as well as consistency.

I have yet to weigh mine

When I saw the first videos on these, I heard they were slightly over weight, allowing resharpening

I believe that was Aron mentioning that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
I agree we are splitting hairs here. The main blades and the ferrules on this small sample size seems very consistent. The bleeders and screws stand out. I wonder if those parts are outsourced with less quality control? All things considered I plan to order some and this doesn’t deter me.

92xj

WKR
I believe the concern is not consistency between two broadheads, it's the weight difference between the actual total weight and the advertised weight.

No one cares about the 0.77163gr difference between broadhead one and broadhead two, they care more about buying a 175gr broadhead that weighs 6.17gr below advertised weight.

That being said, I did buy a 6 pack of 150gr solids, spun them and did not weigh them. Not sure I will as it doesn't bother me that they are potentially different than the advertised 150gr.

I weighed mine.. ( 9 total)
146.2 - 146.8 between the new 6 pack.
I also weighed my older ones, and again 146.2-146.6.
This is crazy consistent.

I would assume they are weighing these to keep the production process at a level of their expectations, and from there, they can pack these up within a set tolerance.

Mine are all below the weight quoted, but consistent in over all weight.

There are a lot of parts to this broadhead, so I accept the tolerances.

If I have to get these to 150, I could add a washer or two.

But truth be told, I bought these for their durability more than anything else.

So I am not overly concerned.

Neverenoughhntn

Lil-Rokslider
When I saw the first videos on these, I heard they were slightly over weight, allowing resharpening

I believe that was Aron mentioning that

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

... pretty sure he was talking about the Valkyrie heads being slightly heavier....

.... Hypothetically speaking, it seems like a fixed blade coming in slightly under weight is more of a positive. Obviously, any fixed blade is going to impact low at distance in relation to field points of the same weight. (Additional surface area induces more drag)... a bh that is a few grains light might help counteract this...? Probably not enough to matter, but makes me wonder why being a couple grains under advertised would be seen as a negative when bh to bh consistency is exceptional?

... pretty sure he was talking about the Valkyrie heads being slightly heavier....

.... Hypothetically speaking, it seems like a fixed blade coming in slightly under weight is more of a positive. Obviously, any fixed blade is going to impact low at distance in relation to field points of the same weight. (Additional surface area induces more drag)... a bh that is a few grains light might help counteract this...? Probably not enough to matter, but makes me wonder why being a couple grains under advertised would be seen as a negative when bh to bh consistency is exceptional?

You could be correct, but I thought it was well before the Valk vids aired.
Anyway, I use the products advertised info when selecting parts and pieces to try and get to my desire OAW.

As stated being off a little is no big deal. Personally I would rather have consistency. If I come in at 492 rather than 498, I wont notice it all.

OP
K
Statistically speaking the difference is about 1% or less on the the above quoted specs.
Just how do you propose to do better then that on a machined and the sharpend product? We are talking about a broadhead here, not a areospace part.

Very true, I was just suprised they were that much underweight compared to other broadheads I have tested.