Arrows fishtailing

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have noticed my bow makes my arrows fishtail. I took it into a bow shop but it didn't do much. It kicks the back end of the arrow to the left. When I shoot at 20 yards my arrows are slightly angled left on the target. Any ideas how to fix this?

murf45

WKR
I have noticed my bow makes my arrows fishtail. I took it into a bow shop but it didn't do much. It kicks the back end of the arrow to the left. When I shoot at 20 yards my arrows are slightly angled left on the target. Any ideas how to fix this?

You should try to adjust cam lean on the bow until you’re able to shoot a bullet hole through paper. Next you will fine tune your bow by doing a walk back or French tune to micro adjust. After you have the rest set for center shot you shouldn’t have to move it left or right more then an 1/8th of an inch. This is all assuming it’s not the torque your putting into the bow grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kindo

WKR
Any change in arrow or bow setup? I have had issues with spine in the past that caused the arrow to behave that way. When I initially upgraded to a Halon, I had to go slightly more stiff for my setup. Even though, my previous bow was the same draw length/weight.

NYSKIER

WKR
Can you give us some info on your setup? Did you check center shot? I would second checking contact as mentioned above

OP
B

beardedbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I am pretty new to bows so this will take some time to figure it out.

My set up is PSE Brute Force Lite. Shooting Vital Impact arrows, 300 spine.

I have noticed in slow motion video that the string pushes the nock into the right side of the whisker biscuit causes the back end to kick out to the left.

Should I take it in again or is this something I can do myself?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Take a cardboard box and cut a 10x10 inch hole in it. Then put a piece of newspaper over the hole and tape it on all 4 corners. Stand about 4 feet away and with your best form, shoot it through the paper and into a target behind. Google paper tuning chart and follow instructions based on how the arrow tears. Once you’ve got it shooting bullet holes YouTube “walk back tuning”. That should get you started.

NYSKIER

WKR
I'm not to familiar with hybrid cam bows but the first thing to do would be check center shot. Look at your arrow from the a top down position and look at the limb bold. Does the arrow appear to be in a straight line with the limb bolt? If it is as straight as you could make it I would move on to paper tuning as Ucsdryder mentioned. If you are still having issues I would go to back to the shop to have them help you make sure that you are getting straight nock travel. Wish I could be more help but I don't know hybrid cams at all

ATX762

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah just to pile on, you need to build a paper tuning setup, check yer center shot. Don't even worry about anything else before you do that. If your arrow rest is off to one side or the other, that's your issue. It's not all that likely the shop that set up the bow did a super careful job. Some do, some don't. Once you get your paper tuning set up dialed in, you'll be able to fix this problem on your own now, and if it ever crops up in the future. I use a wood frame with butcher paper but you can use anything.

Some guys mistake seeing their fletching coming around on their arrow for fishtailing...especially if you have one bright fletch compared to the others. You will see a flash as the arrow spins...looks alot like fishtailing (porpoising) but it is not.

If you are tuned and hand torque is not an issue...no big deal.

Zac

WKR
I am pretty new to bows so this will take some time to figure it out.

My set up is PSE Brute Force Lite. Shooting Vital Impact arrows, 300 spine.

I have noticed in slow motion video that the string pushes the nock into the right side of the whisker biscuit causes the back end to kick out to the left.

Should I take it in again or is this something I can do myself?
That's pretty amazing that you caught that on film. If most people could grasp that media then tuning would become very apparent to them. The point will always overcorrect itself to align with the string. You were pushing the point left of the string when you noticed your string letting the shaft go on the right side of the biscuit. The point will react by planing to the right in order to correct itself. However the right sided tail left plane is in motion and will continue on that trajectory. If you can shim the cam to the left, or move your rest towards the riser of the bow you may be able to get it perfect. Just keep using that footage until you see the arrow come off perfectly straight.