traditional archery advice

jhm2023

WKR
I've been tossing around the idea of hanging up my Mathews and start hunting with a recurve or longbow. I know a fair amount about compound stuff but not entirely sure where to start with something traditional. My primary archery hunts are for moose and bear. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Id be happy to help. Ive been at the trad thing for more than 40 years but also hunt with a compound. What in specific do you have questions on?

While I wait for a reply. I will recommend you going to a trad event and shooting as many bows as you can to see if you like a longbow or recurve or hybrid mic reflex/deflex longbow. Then shoot something about 15 pounds lower in draw weight than you shoot with a compound (Most guys try to overbook and develop bad shooting form right from the start.) Then try out a finger glove and a tab to see which feels right.

Keep it as simple as possible. A lot of guys it seems (myself included at time) who come from a compound want to bring all the complications of a compound over to a stick. Luckily I found a local bowyer who's shot instinctive since he was five, he's 70 now. I'd really suggest finding an older mentor that's local. And I'd really suggest learning to shoot instinctively.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

OP
jhm2023

jhm2023

WKR
My biggest question I suppose was on what type of bow as I cant really decide between long or recurve. I do know that I want a bow that is handmade by a small shop or individual as opposed to something from a bigger company. I was hoping to start around the 55lb range as I shoot 70 on a compound and have drawn a 55lb recurve which I was comfortable with it. Any input on the Goldtip traditional arrows?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Best thing you could ever do is start out with an actual coach who is “certified” to be a coach. Next would be start with a 35-40# bow and learn PROPER form. If you don’t, you will start out with bad habits, reinforce them, and then spend the rest of your life trying to break them.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
55 pounds may be a bit much for the start. Find a bowyer and shoot his bows. (start with lower weights) get used to the grips and see if long or recurve or reflex/deflex feels best. Learn to anchor aim release and follow through.

If you start with too much weight you wont do that and you will become a snap shooter because you cant hold the draw. Start low and go up. Perhaps a take down with limb weights you can trade up for. Ive used the GT trad arrow with great success. They look like oak rather than cedar but thats ok.

Beendare

WKR
Best thing you could ever do is start out with an actual coach who is “certified” to be a coach. Next would be start with a 35-40# bow and learn PROPER form. If you don’t, you will start out with bad habits, reinforce them, and then spend the rest of your life trying to break them.

Bingo^ Good advice.

What you notice at the lesser trad Jamborees or tourneys is bad form everywhere. Don't be one of those guys. Its much harder to hold good form with more weight on your fingers than with a release and compound.....start off right so you don't develop bad habits. I sometimes shoot with a guy [nice guy terrible shot] that insists on shooting a 55# bow and I've never seen him get it to full draw.....he calls it, "Snap Shooting"...yeah right.

You can buy a cheap recurve to start....like a Samack Sage for $120 and then sell it on the classifieds for 70% of that down the road. I wouldn't get too bogged down in longbow/recurve now.....as Steve said, just learn to shoot right with a very light bow.