Victory VAP TKO - Arrow Weight

Looking to upgrade my arrow set up from my current cheap arrow running at 385gr to something in the mid 400s. Hoping to deliver some solid penetration and envisioned about 450-475gr. My local shop recommended a Victory Vap TKO in 350 spine, with a 100gr broadhead and the 33gr aluminum insert. Current set up is 28" DL at 70lb.

I want to get on their page, but the calculation only puts the arrow at 415 gr with the 100gr tip. I'm considering any combination of uping to the 95gr insert, a 125gr broadhead or both. What do you think?

An increae in point weight and/or insert put me in the 300 spine category, right? I have also read the leary reviews of the soft 33gr aluminum inserts which are susceptible to bending which isn't a huge vote of confidence.

I am chasing OTC deer in Arizona at the moment so that may buy me some margin of error, but want to ensure I set up an optimized arrow to get the job done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JasonWi

WKR
I run the .300 spine in the same arrow cut @ 29.5" including the 98 grain SS in/outsert. Three blazer vanes, no wrap and a 100 grain BH. My arrow finish out @ 493 grains. Mine are shooting fantastic out to 100. Very strong shafts and very true in weight tolerances.

If your considering anything over the 35 grain aluminum insert you will want to go to the .300 spine.

I have bent a few of the SS inserts but they take a lot of punishment and overall I'm impressed with their durability.

codym

WKR
I'm shooting that exact set up in my bowtech realm x. I'm getting 305 FPS in comfort setting. I use a razor shape slick trick 100 mag coupled with the oversized outset makes these things have unreal penetration. I like lighter arrows though, use to shoot Easton axis 400's and my set up there was right at 395 gns. Killed a couple big bulls and a mule deer with that set up no problems.

i was disappointed in the tkos the tolerances werent very tight and the components were pretty junk. they pulled out of targets and would bend easy making them wobble a lot. this was the first gen tkos tho with the red and green tko maybe they got better

OP
A
Appreciate the insight from all three of you. I have a little more thinking to do on the insert but sounds like I could be content either way.

Hoping the tolerance issues were a thing of the past but something for me to look closely at.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot that setup 350 spine with 95gn stainless insert and 100gn tip. My arrows are right at 29.5" with 3 vanes and no wrap. They come out just over 475gn.

codym

WKR
I was reloading some rifle ammo and decided to throw these arrows on the scale. I bought a dozen and weighed the 10 I have left, robin hooded 2 so there trashed. Anyway they are the 350 spline with the 33 grain outsert 100 grain field point and 3 vane blazers they were 386.6-388 gn. Lighter than I thought but exteremly consistent. I will shoot a 125 grain BH this year to get me over the 400 gn mark.

hey OP i realized i got half a dozen of these left finished and im not shooting them anymore. if you wanted to send me like 15$ to ship ill send you these for free to tinker around with and you could see if they tune for you or if you like. theyre 27.5 carbon to carbon 28.5 with the outsert and weigh about 412 grains. its sounds like that might be close to matching your setup. theyre the 350 V6 sports. they tuned perfect out of my nitrum 30 at 28 66#
lmk

IMG_20180616_194938265.jpg

OP
A
hey OP i realized i got half a dozen of these left finished and im not shooting them anymore. if you wanted to send me like 15$ to ship ill send you these for free to tinker around with and you could see if they tune for you or if you like. theyre 27.5 carbon to carbon 28.5 with the outsert and weigh about 412 grains. its sounds like that might be close to matching your setup. theyre the 350 V6 sports. they tuned perfect out of my nitrum 30 at 28 66#
lmk

View attachment 73823
Sounds great and I appreciate the offer! I'll send a message your way.

Hoh Down

FNG
Personally I think that the micro diameter of .166 is too small, and that the lack of available components makes them not worth it. I'd look at something in the .204 diameter range, something like an Axis 340. Put in a the brass hit inserts and a 125 grain head and I'll think you'll be where you want to be.