Recommend an arrow for my new setup

woodson

FNG
Just got a new (to me) 2017 Hoyt Defiant Turbo.

30" draw length. 60# Limbs cranked all the way down. NAP drop away rest. I usually shoot 3 fletch arrows with Blazer vains. I haven't bought arrows since 2011 when I bought my last bow because I bought 3 dozen Easton ST Excels and never looked back.

I shoot 100 grain mechanical broadheads (Rage Hypodermic, etc).

What arrow and insert would you recommend for Mule Deer/Whitetail?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I am a huge fan of the small diameter arrows. Victory VAP, Gold Tip Pierce, Easton Injexion. Only downside to them is you either have an outsert or deep six insert.

Brendan

WKR
Like Tony, I love the small diameter arrows, but I don't like the components available for them. If someone comes out with a durable 50/75 grain brass insert for them that might change my mind, but you still don't have as good broadhead selection with deep 6.

So, I currently shoot 5mm arrows. Smaller diameter shaft, you can use your standard thread broadheads, good components, you can use 20/50/75 grain inserts. Easton Axis come in a little heavier, Black Eagle Rampage a little lighter. Victory RIP is another option, but haven't shot those.

If I had your specs, I'd shoot the Black Eagle Rampage, 300 spine. 50 grain brass HIT insert. 100 Grain head. Arrow speed should be in the 275-285 range. And, you have plenty of stiffness to go up to a 125 grain head if you wanted to.

OR Archer

WKR
If you’re not going to run any additional tip weight a 340 will tune just fine at 60#. If you do decide on more tip weight I’d bump up to a 300 or even a bit stiffer depending on how much. And it wouldn’t hurt to go with the stiffer shaft even if you’re not using additional weight. Easton Axis Match Grade, Gold Tip Pierce Platinum would be excellent choices.

While small diameter arrows have a lot of benefits, I cannot bring myself to mess with the small arrow components. I shoot black eagle carnivores with 92 grains worth of insert weight and 100 grain heads. The system is easy to install, strong, and my FOC is high.

However, I’m not a fan of the screw-in weight system on the insert. That leaves me between gold tip and Easton. Given the fact I like Easton components, I’m going to make the switch to the 6mm axis and run the brass insert at 50 grains. If you decide to go with Easton and want to add weight, the Easton spine chart has a table for how to add lbs of draw weight to equate to more tip weight.

Hope this helps.

If you’re not going to run any additional tip weight a 340 will tune just fine at 60#. If you do decide on more tip weight I’d bump up to a 300 or even a bit stiffer depending on how much. And it wouldn’t hurt to go with the stiffer shaft even if you’re not using additional weight. Easton Axis Match Grade, Gold Tip Pierce Platinum would be excellent choices.

This ^^^ I would recommend the Match Grades axis shafts. if you want to add weight throw from brass up front.