FNG needs help with bow sight

CJ5K

FNG
Hey guys, Im pretty new to the compound world, and am looking to upgrade the sight on my bow. Right now I'm using a super old truglow 3 pin that isn't meeting my needs, and I have some super basic questions.

First off, when you are looking through your peep sight, are you centering the pin in the sight, or the sight housing? and do you focus on the pin, or the target?

As far as sights go, I'm thinking a fixed five pin, and I'd like to keep the budget below $150. The IQ Micro looks really interesting to me, but I'm wondering if the Retina Lock is more of a gimmick, or a legit way to manage torquing your bow? Im also considering one of the less expensive MBG sights like a Rush or Widow Maker, since the number one thing i despise about my 14 year old truglow is how dull the pins are. Any input is appreciated.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Heads up, I'm in Washington, so anything electronic or a magnifying sight is a no go for me.

Thanks in advance!

Jbehredt

WKR
I center my housing. Centering the pin works for some but I like a larger peep to allow more light through. Also centering the pin does require ever so slight alignment/anchor changes when using different pins. I used an IQ for years. It definitely keeps you know at about your form. Only got away from it to use a slider MBG for longer distance practice. If you want bright pins black gold is the way to go. They actually have to use a dimming filter to limit daytime brightness.

bsnedeker

WKR
I center my housing. Centering the pin works for some but I like a larger peep to allow more light through. Also centering the pin does require ever so slight alignment/anchor changes when using different pins. I used an IQ for years. It definitely keeps you know at about your form. Only got away from it to use a slider MBG for longer distance practice. If you want bright pins black gold is the way to go. They actually have to use a dimming filter to limit daytime brightness.
That black gold dimming feature is interesting to me. I have an HHA which has incredibly bright pins and a dimming feature is needed on it as well, but it's manual. I leave it completely closed during the daylight and open slightly at dusk and dawn.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

OP
C

CJ5K

FNG
Thats valuable input guys!

Jbehredt, Im pretty confident any modern sight is going to be an improvement over what I'm rocking now, brightness wise. Did you ever have a problem with the brightness of the IQ? Did you feel like it lived up to its claims of helping tighten up your groups?

Jbehredt

WKR
Thats valuable input guys!

Jbehredt, Im pretty confident any modern sight is going to be an improvement over what I'm rocking now, brightness wise. Did you ever have a problem with the brightness of the IQ? Did you feel like it lived up to its claims of helping tighten up your groups?

I liked the retina lock. If it was an option on MBG sights I’d pay for it. Pins were always bright enough. I actually added two pins to my original 5 pin to try to make it work longer range but 7 pins is too cluttered for my simple mind. I’ve still got it laying around if you’re interested. It’s not micro.

Hey guys, Im pretty new to the compound world, and am looking to upgrade the sight on my bow. Right now I'm using a super old truglow 3 pin that isn't meeting my needs, and I have some super basic questions.

First off, when you are looking through your peep sight, are you centering the pin in the sight, or the sight housing? and do you focus on the pin, or the target?

As far as sights go, I'm thinking a fixed five pin, and I'd like to keep the budget below $150. The IQ Micro looks really interesting to me, but I'm wondering if the Retina Lock is more of a gimmick, or a legit way to manage torquing your bow? Im also considering one of the less expensive MBG sights like a Rush or Widow Maker, since the number one thing i despise about my 14 year old truglow is how dull the pins are. Any input is appreciated.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I'd love to hear them. Heads up, I'm in Washington, so anything electronic or a magnifying sight is a no go for me.

Thanks in advance!
Hey bud, PM coming your way.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

N2TRKYS

WKR
I like to center my pin in my peep. I shoot a larger peep, as well. I focus on where the pin is on my target.

I use to shoot a 3 pin sight, but switched to a single pin HHA a few years ago. I'm probably gonna switch back to the 3 pin sight, though.

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that you can hardly go wrong with any sight nowadays. I use to use and HHA optimizer slider and now use a spot Hogg fast Eddie xl two pin slider. I center my housing in my peep when I shoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

CJ5K

FNG
Thanks for all the input guys! It sounds like I can't really go wrong with any newer sight, and that if i center the housing, that will be the most consistent.