Grizzlystik arrows

Dwnorton1

FNG
I appreciate the information on other arrows. I was just giving data from my current setup. I have all inserts,nocks, etc for GrizzlyStik I’d prefer to spend -0- on new arrows. What I have should last another season. Just a fan of heavy FOC setups.

OP
Topo_trekker
Why tapered arrow? It adds a degree of difficulty to the mnfr process...maybe thats why they were so inconsistent in the past. Multiple manufacturers have the same dia carbon shafts down now....very good quality/consistency.

The shills can talk them up here...but the taper is a solution to a non existent problem.

Grizzlystick 12 arrow package [includes 6 BH's] $399.99

Mountain archery sells the Victory top of the line [tried and true] TKO package for $199.

Victory has other versions of their arrows that are $120 a dozen.

Heavy arrow with time tested shafts is easy;

1) Use arrow tubes [3 rivers archery] heck, you can add those to your existing arrows for about $20.

2) Upsize spine, put a 100gr insert and be into a set of Victory, Easton, Other heavy arrows for under $150 doz

It's not just about durability.
If the theory holds up then a tapered shaft arrow that has a naturally high foc on its own and finishes at 530gr/21% would penetrate just as much as a 580gr/12%. That being said you'd shoot faster & have smaller pins gaps on top of being better in wind and recovering from arrow paradox. This is only good up to a certain distance of course where momentum wins at the longer distance. Where these meet on the graph yardage wise I don't know but I'd like to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Why tapered arrow? It adds a degree of difficulty to the mnfr process...maybe thats why they were so inconsistent in the past. Multiple manufacturers have the same dia carbon shafts down now....very good quality/consistency.

The shills can talk them up here...but the taper is a solution to a non existent problem.

Grizzlystick 12 arrow package [includes 6 BH's] $399.99

Mountain archery sells the Victory top of the line [tried and true] TKO package for $199.

Victory has other versions of their arrows that are $120 a dozen.

Heavy arrow with time tested shafts is easy;

1) Use arrow tubes [3 rivers archery] heck, you can add those to your existing arrows for about $20.

2) Upsize spine, put a 100gr insert and be into a set of Victory, Easton, Other heavy arrows for under $150 doz
Tapered arrows tune a helluva lot easier, I know this from first hand experience. They recover well out of the bow, and you can get Arrow Dynamics PTP arrows for about 150 a dozen. Lower GPI but that just makes it easier to get a higher foc. I'll not shoot any of the grizzlystiks because of their high gpi and from a run in I had with them when they started making the Silver Flames. I was selling the original german kinetic silver flame heads out of my shop, and they sent a cease and desist letter saying they had purchased the name and trademarked it for their Chinese made heads. That whole company can suck a fat one for all I care.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Btaylor

WKR
Tapered arrows tune a helluva lot easier, I know this from first hand experience. They recover well out of the bow, and you can get Arrow Dynamics PTP arrows for about 150 a dozen. Lower GPI but that just makes it easier to get a higher foc. I'll not shoot any of the grizzlystiks because of their high gpi and from a run in I had with them when they started making the Silver Flames. I was selling the original german kinetic silver flame heads out of my shop, and they sent a cease and desist letter saying they had purchased the name and trademarked it for their Chinese made heads. That whole company can suck a fat one for all I care.

Still have 3-4 of the 165 grain Silver Flames I bought from Markus. I am guessing the newer versions are not close in comparison.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Still have 3-4 of the 165 grain Silver Flames I bought from Markus. I am guessing the newer versions are not close in comparison.
Markus is making them again, but the price has gone way up from before. $110 or so for 3. Great heads. Still the sharpest heads I've ever seen out of the box. Tuffheads would be a close second.

Beendare

WKR
Look if you guys are right about the supposed advantages and those arrow being that much better...then why are none of the top scoring pros using them?

Every pro would be using those if they had the advantages you mentioned.

Same thing with EFOC....zero top pros shoot very high FOC over 20%. None. Pros that test and test and test some more for a tiny bit of additional accuracy. Easton engineers recommend 8-16%. Seems to me that should tell a guy something.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look if you guys are right about the supposed advantages and those arrow being that much better...then why are none of the top scoring pros using them?

Same thing with EFOC....zero top pros shoot very high FOC over 20%. None. Pros that test and test and test some more for a tiny bit of additional accuracy. Easton engineers recommend 8-16%. Seems to me that should tell a guy something.
Pros shoot that they get paid to shoot. I don't know why you get so defensive about it. Shoot whatever you want, no one is telling you to change. Easton can recommend whatever they want, they cater to the masses, the masses shoot light arrows with 100gr points. Good for them.

You do realize that Easton makes tapered shafts as well as barreled shafts? Their target shooters have shot them for years. Here it is straight from Easton themselves.

ARROW SHAFT DESIGN AND PERFORMANCE - Easton Archery

sneaky

"DADDY"
Cost is the driving factor for parallel shafts being the most popular. They're cheaper to produce. People like cheaper.

OP
Topo_trekker

I think it's more about penetration than accuracy, which is no concern to target/3D pros. With a stiffer front end the shaft does not flex as much as parallel shaft increasing penetration when entering a animal. You can add a internal carbon rod footer to pretty much any arrow that will do the same thing

If you know how to properly tune an arrow you can get high foc arrows to fly great at 20%+. Yeah maybe not as accurate at 100yrds at 15% but at 60yrds it shoots the same group which is plenty far for bow hunting.

Dwnorton1

FNG
How much drop did you notice at 650?

Went and shot at varying distances, hard to quantify but seems like the lighter arrow 392gr was hitting about 6-8” higher at all ranges. I adjust the sight to 20yards for 30 yard shot with sight tape I have on for 650 arrow trajectory when shooting it. Arrow noise from 300fps, actually fletching noise to be more precise was very noticeable. So both bow and arrow are way quieter in my setup.

Dwnorton1

FNG
Arrow Ballistics Calculator - Kinetic Energy, Drop, Momentum

Had a nice PDF comparing arrows but was too big to upload. Here is crossbow calc but works just as well.

The 650g definitely have more drop and about 10lbs more energy at 70 yards. Really pretty close race, but here is how I see it. Which to me is all that really matters, as I am not going to get worked up for their preference any more than anyone else should of mine. I just chose these 650g for results I saw. To each his own. There is no wrong answer, use what what works for you and gets results that you want

650g pro's
Quieter bow
Quieter arrow due to slower speeds
10ft lbs more energy at 70yards
Less wind drift

400g pro's
Flatter shooting making small distance errors in ranging less pronounced

OP
Topo_trekker
I've been testing foc lately. Shot 530gr/19% and 600gr/10% to compare, same shaft size/length. The 19% arrow has been penetrating just as deep on hard objects such as wood and cattle bone. It hasn't penetrated as deep in my targets though...but has about half the drop. Interesting results.

I went the rounds with them earlier this year. Very durable and seem to be very well made. Their outsert is the weak point. That big brass collar helps a lot, but the inside is still weak aluminum. Worse, it's drilled and tapped all the way through to accept their brass weights. They always survived one shot and broke on the second in my hard impact tests. After all that, I decided I wanted to use them. After dealing with their ridiculously awful customer service over several weeks, both me and my buddy canceled our orders. I still think they're a solid setup.
Valkyrie outserts on Zelor shafts were the most durable setup I tested by far. Five shots out of my 80lb Hyperforce at bricks (15 yards) and the arrow still was unaffected.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dwnorton1

FNG
I've been testing foc lately. Shot 530gr/19% and 600gr/10% to compare, same shaft size/length. The 19% arrow has been penetrating just as deep on hard objects such as wood and cattle bone. It hasn't penetrated as deep in my targets though...but has about half the drop. Interesting results.

In soft targets, the heavy arrow penetrates just about 4-5" deeper. They odd thing I notice with these heavy arrow is the target material melts to shaft on impact, making it almost impossible to remove from some types of targets. I regularly clean shafts and wax or PAM cooking spray my shafts so I can remove. I like the old tapered design from a pure dimensional standpoint, plus I have leftover components to use. Does anyone else make them in the higher GPI with same dimensions ?

OP
Topo_trekker
From '18 Victory catalog.
0d46e9c561b208eb13f02721585491eb.png

824a8104eb917c494daa2957afaab45b.png

NorBC

FNG
Ya people will always have an opinion and a hard on against some brands.. is what it is, obviously some people like them, why rag on it? If I didn't get them for free, no I probably wouldn't shoot them. But they work for me, they shoot good out of my longbow. I'm not shooting 50 yards, and I'm not just plinking at targets all year. I would shoot these arrows over some 300 grain arrow with 100 grain tip any day. I get pass throughs and my clients get pass throughs. Good enough for me. Just got the new line up in the mail, and I look forward to tuning them up soon here.

MDF

FNG
I bought 6 Grizzlystik Momentum TDTs in 250 spine and 6 in the 320 spine last year and I can’t seem to get a single one of them to spin on my arrow spinner good enough for my liking. Nor do they spin without wobble on my palm after trying like hell to get the inserts glued in well. They just all wobble… Looking at the cut ends of the shafts, I can see wall thickness variation (0.026” to 0.034”). It’s also evident when the knock is inserted and i can see it hangs slightly over one side but not the other. This is an issue that kinda kills my effort to minimize variables right off the bat.

That being said, these arrows are durable as hell and fly well enough for me at 30 yrds and under. But as i slowly improve my technique, tune my bow, tweak my arrow builds with these 12 arrows, extend my shot distance, I will always wonder if the side wall thickness variation is a getting in my way… I’ve put a lot of money into them to just set aside.

FWIW Grizzlystik offered to refund/replace after I complained. But I didn’t have time to pass arrows back and forth before the season. And i doubt the sidewall issue would have been different with a new set.