Who takes a back-up bow on out of state hunts?

I also bring a backup rifle. We do two separate week long camp hunts locally and even though they are 1-1/2 hours away home I bring one.

I have one bow setup for deer and one for elk that are very close to one another. Same sight, peep, grip, ect.

Mac7

WKR
Started bow hunting in 94 have had one bow have a problem I couldn't fix. Used to always take a backup on out of state hunts or if I'm more than a few hours from home. After I started hunting with a recurve and longbow I take a compound for days I feel like having a bit more range.

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Alway have a back up bow. Always a backup string/cables all set up with peep and loop for each. Always a full tool box with portable press to do work on rd.
There isn't much that I will risk only having one of. I cut a yoke last year with a broadhead at first lite....first time in years I have needed the back up.
Usually I set them up differently for different hunts, as in heavy arrow/light arrow.
Peace of mind is priceless.

whaack

WKR
My first trip out West was last year but I took a backup bow. I have 2x Halon 32’s just in different colors cause I like them so much.

Back up now is most important than back up rifle imo.

If your bow bites the dust you might be out of luck for a week or more. Rifle? Go buy a new one and bore site plus 5min at the range and your back in biz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SICARIO

FNG
I have two older 2015 Hoyt’s set up identically. I shoot them both equally and can shoot either one the same. I generally take it if space isn’t an issue as a backup, but I think a backup is good at home too in case something happens a day or so before your hunt.

jmez

WKR
My first trip out West was last year but I took a backup bow. I have 2x Halon 32’s just in different colors cause I like them so much.

Back up now is most important than back up rifle imo.

If your bow bites the dust you might be out of luck for a week or more. Rifle? Go buy a new one and bore site plus 5min at the range and your back in biz.

You can do the same with a bow as a rifle. Buy one, tune it and get back to hunting. It doesn't take long to tune a bow.

whaack

WKR
For those that take them do you worry about leaving them in a warm truck?

My trip to CO was third week in Sept so heat wasn’t an option.

True, but very few people can buy and tune a bow in the same time that they could a rifle. Can be done but its definitely more difficult.

Alway have a back up bow. Always a backup string/cables all set up with peep and loop for each. Always a full tool box with portable press to do work on rd.
There isn't much that I will risk only having one of. I cut a yoke last year with a broadhead at first lite....first time in years I have needed the back up.
Usually I set them up differently for different hunts, as in heavy arrow/light arrow.
Peace of mind is priceless.

Tony how do you mitigate the high temps of early archery hunts? I am assuming you leave the backup at the truck. Ever had any issues with that?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Tony how do you mitigate the high temps of early archery hunts? I am assuming you leave the backup at the truck. Ever had any issues with that?

Knock on wood!
I’ve never had a problem with it. I park in the shade if possible, keep the bow in a good hard shell case and keep it under other insulating gear.

cfdjay

WKR
I haven't read all the replies so I apologize if this is redundant. A little story for ya.... Couple years ago I debated the same thing. Decided to throw it in my truck for the hell of it. After parking at the trail head and while climbing up the first drainage of the first day of my Montana hunt I had my bow strapped to the back of my pack. As I ducked under some down branches/deadfall I heard a strange noise. Took my pack off and saw my bowstring was derailed. I caught the nub of a branch just right. The next town with a bow shop was a 2 hour drive away....AFTER I got back to the truck. My truck was only the hike. It saved me. I HIGHLY recommend it.