Exodus vs Iron Will

Wapiti406

WKR
The stars have aligned and after 18 years I have drawn a MT moose tag. I’d like to make it happen with my bow and currently debating switching up broadheads for better penetration. I am currently shooting QAD Exodus. Even though I have yet to test them out on an elk, I am very happy with the accuracy and sharpness of the QAD. For those of you that have compared first hand to an Iron Will do you see a noticeable amount of penetration gain compared to the Exodus?

I am shooting a ~555 gr arrow, 31” DL. IBO of my bow is 312 ft/sec.

Haven’t shot either, but based off physics and the design alone, the iron wills would penetrate better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shot both and tested both extensively and taken animals with both. You can see a lot of those tests on my YouTube Channel: Lusk Archery Adventures.

In short, the Exodus is the best fixed blade head in the “normal” price category. It has the best balance of flight, penetration, ferrule strength, edge retention and cut size of any fixed head on the market, especially those with replaceable blades. I’ve taken over 50 animals with them, including bull elk, large bears, huge hogs, and African Plains Game.

The Iron Will is one of the top two best fixed Blade heads in the premium price category. The flight, sharpness, edge retention, penetration, and durability is incredible. It is slightly more forgiving in flight than the Exodus past 80 yards.

The chisel tip of the Exodus is a bit more durable than the blade tip of the Iron Will, as shown in my tests when I shot them into steel flat bar.

The Exodus has a larger cut size, which is my only real critique of the Iron Will.

I would feel completely confident with either one on the tip of my arrow on any animal in N America. But if I had the money, for moose, I’d go with the Iron Will.

I’ve shot both and tested both extensively and taken animals with both. You can see a lot of those tests on my YouTube Channel: Lusk Archery Adventures.

In short, the Exodus is the best fixed blade head in the “normal” price category. It has the best balance of flight, penetration, ferrule strength, edge retention and cut size of any fixed head on the market, especially those with replaceable blades. I’ve taken over 50 animals with them, including bull elk, large bears, huge hogs, and African Plains Game.

The Iron Will is one of the top two best fixed Blade heads in the premium price category. The flight, sharpness, edge retention, penetration, and durability is incredible. It is slightly more forgiving in flight than the Exodus past 80 yards.

The chisel tip of the Exodus is a bit more durable than the blade tip of the Iron Will, as shown in my tests when I shot them into steel flat bar.

The Exodus has a larger cut size, which is my only real critique of the Iron Will.

I would feel completely confident with either one on the tip of my arrow on any animal in N America. But if I had the money, for moose, I’d go with the Iron Will.

So would you go exodus swept or full? (With both being legal where you hunt)

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve shot both the swept and full, and don’t see any difference at all. The one thing I am concerned about, and I have heard some guys complain about, is the full blade version can impact the shaft and ruin your arrow, just below the insert, on shots that hit bone, dirt, etc.

Ucsdryder

WKR
At 312fps on a 555gr arrow who cares. Shoot the qad since you’re comfortable with them and happy with them. Penetration won’t be an issue.

So would you go exodus swept or full? (With both being legal where you hunt)

I’ve shot and tested both models quite a bit. I prefer the Swept. It is just as strong as the Full and it is a bit more forgiving in flight. But both are great.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At 312fps on a 555gr arrow who cares. Shoot the qad since you’re comfortable with them and happy with them. Penetration won’t be an issue.

He said his bow's IBO was 312fps......not the speed of his arrow. But with a 31" draw and a 555gr arrow he shouldn't have any problems with penetration with either unless he's drawing a light draw weight.

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Correct, 312 IBO. I haven't shot threw a chrono to verify my current speed. Bow is set at #70, the arrow carries some momentum but is a little slower than others on this forum may like.

Correct, 312 IBO. I haven't shot threw a chrono to verify my current speed. Bow is set at #70, the arrow carries some momentum but is a little slower than others on this forum may like.

You have plenty of momentum and KE to drive an Exodus deep into a moose, if not all the way through. They are one of the best penetrating heads on the market, because of their incredible edge retention. That, combined with the cut size, make them an excellent choice.

The elk and African animals I took with them were at 73# with a 27” draw and 400 gr arrow, and every shot was a pass through except on the Wildebeest, which buried up to the fletching, and The Elk which was quartering toward me and the entire arrow disappeared into the animal; the nock was buried about 6” deep into the chest cavity.

codym

WKR
Thank you guys for this thread. I have been debating this very thing for my elk hunt. I have spent way too much money on other gear this year so you have given me the confidence to try the QAD swept heads. Next year or elk tag I get I will spend the money on the Iron Will's

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I've never shot the Exodus so I can't comment on it.

The Ironwill head is the nicest fixed blade I have ever shot, bar none.
I trusted it to my once in a lifetime moose last season and am glad I did.

Elc1973

FNG
Have both in my quiver. Just shot a bear with the iron wills and the penetration was awesome. They both fly the same as far as POI. Can't go wrong with either. The downside to the iron will is if you lose it after shooting an animal your out $33 instead of $13 with the QAD.

I've been looking at the Exodus hard, but I think I'm going to need to stick to a single bevel(Kudupoints) or a double bevel with bleeders(Stinger Buzzcut)for my setup. But I'm only shooting a 473 +/- gr arrow at a whopping 240-245fps.

Thinking about trying to shoot a whitetail with an Exodus though. Those swept heads just look awesome.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
I find the Iron Wills and Exxodus to fly very close and very accurate. I was a bit disppointed with the small size of the bleeder of the iron will. I had heard its the same size as the Viper Trick bleeder, it is in fact smaller. I emailed IW and asked for them to make a larger bleeder. For my elk hunt this fall i'm using QAD, bigger hole more blood.

SoDaky

WKR
Iron Wills fly best for me.Exodus just OK.Well not 'OK',they fly good but not like Iron Wills.My quiver holds Iron Wills and Atacs for elk.
I know,I know,I'm not tuned etc.Not true,just for me there IS a flight difference-and I rarely disagree with Bowhunter 64 on heads.FWIW.

Ive taken a few animals with the Exodus. Pigs are pretty tough animals and i got a complete pass through last week on a medium size sow at 30yds with 400gr arrow @ 265 fps using the Exodus. I love how they fly , the penetration , and the wound. I cant speak on the Iron Will’s but I’m confident with the Exodus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Wapiti406

Wapiti406

WKR
Thanks for the input, guys. I'm not sure as of yet on what I will decide to shoot, I have a month or two to decide.

Bowhuntr64, You stated the IW is one of premium priced fixed broadheads. What is the other in your opinion in that category?

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm not sure as of yet on what I will decide to shoot, I have a month or two to decide.

Bowhuntr64, You stated the IW is one of premium priced fixed broadheads. What is the other in your opinion in that category?

The other are the Bishops, both their 3 Blade and 2 Blade. I also really like the ATAC, as it flies as good or better than the IW. But the IW is much stronger than the ATAC; the Bishop is much stronger than the IW.