3 Fletch vs. 4 Fletch

I like 4 fletch. I did my own testing back in the day and the 4 fletch seemed to be more forgiving. At 20 yards the 4 fletch seems to trick the arrow into the x more often then 3 fletch. I like the stability with broadheads too

OP
Brandon Pattison
If I go lower profile (better rest clearance) such as the AAE Pro Max in four fletch will it steer a fixed head?

We also need to talk vane length. If your shooting a 2 inch vanes 4 fletch is beneficial. If your shooting 3.5-4 inch vanes 3 vanes is fine.

Sure you can use 3 vanes and shoot good. regardless of how well it's tuned. I like more forgiving arrows for hunting scenarios.

ontarget7

WKR
Sure you can use 3 vanes and shoot good. regardless of how well it's tuned. I like more forgiving arrows for hunting scenarios.

I look at this a little different, I guess.

A good part of forgiveness comes from how well a bow is tuned. The 4 fletch will stabilize an arrow a little faster from a poorly tuned bow than a 3 fletch but that is about the only advantage. Just don't shoot a bow thats out of tune so I don't notice the difference.

OP
Brandon Pattison
The main reason I'd go with four fletch is because I run one color fletching and hate feeling for the nock tab/indexer when I nock an arrow.

I figured it was a given to have a tuned bow. I also like the idea of having one more air slicer in relationship to my 3-blade broadhead but I have no evidence suggesting there are any advantages.

Let's assume our 'tuned' bow is borderline tuned, meaning it is tuned but just barely, and the cables stretch just a wee bit say right before a trip, wouldn't the 4-fletch benefit the unsuspecting archer?

ontarget7

WKR
The main reason I'd go with four fletch is because I run one color fletching and hate feeling for the nock tab/indexer when I nock an arrow.

I figured it was a given to have a tuned bow. I also like the idea of having one more air slicer in relationship to my 3-blade broadhead but I have no evidence suggesting there are any advantages.

Let's assume our 'tuned' bow is borderline tuned, meaning it is tuned but just barely, and the cables stretch just a wee bit say right before a trip, wouldn't the 4-fletch benefit the unsuspecting archer?

Cable stretch would cause a change in vertical nock travel and if you were in tune to start you should be still fine with broadhead flight.

I find there is more tolerance allowed with broadhead and fieldpoint accuracy being the same even when your vertical nock travel is slightly off, due to cable stretch.

Now your lateral nock travel does not seem to have the same forgiveness. However, once this is set correctly, it should not move.

My vote still goes to a 3 fletch with a 6* helical from the Arizona EZ Mini.

I shoot only one color as well. This gives me the option to nock tune if I have one arrow I have to pull into the rest of the group, when group tuning at distance.
I get so used to nocking with one color, even with index vane up, its really not an issue for me. I used to just mark my index vane with a permanent marker to identify it after I was done group tuning at the longer yardages

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
I personally prefer the 4 fletch, I didn't have an issue with the 3 but 4 just seems to stabilize quicker and Ihave to be honest looks cooler without creating issues :)

I am trying the 4 fletch this year. I have always been able to get 3 fletch to work but I thought I would see how more forgiving 4 fletch is. They did tune much faster. Only a very minor adjustment needed.

ontarget7

WKR
I personally prefer the 4 fletch, I didn't have an issue with the 3 but 4 just seems to stabilize quicker and Ihave to be honest looks cooler without creating issues :)

This is really my point. When you refer to stabilizing quicker this is a sign that something is out of tune. So instead of going to a 4 fletch or larger fletching to correct this I look deeper in to my tune. Ultimately this will give you the most forgiveness.

Please don't take these post wrong in general, if you choose to shoot 4 fletched it will do well for you and I am a firm believer to shoot what gives you the best confidence.

OP
Brandon Pattison
This is really my point. When you refer to stabilizing quicker this is a sign that something is out of tune. So instead of going to a 4 fletch or larger fletching to correct this I look deeper in to my tune. Ultimately this will give you the most forgiveness.

Please don't take these post wrong in general, if you choose to shoot 4 fletched it will do well for you and I am a firm believer to shoot what gives you the best confidence.

No offense taken.

I feel 2" Blazer vanes are a scosh too tall (clearance issues) so my intent was two-fold; 1 - nock without looking (which leads me to wonder if groups would open up due to nock tuning inconsistancy), 2 - use a slightly shorter vanes while adding one vane to even out.

ontarget7

WKR
No offense taken.

I feel 2" Blazer vanes are a scosh too tall (clearance issues) so my intent was two-fold; 1 - nock without looking (which leads me to wonder if groups would open up due to nock tuning inconsistancy), 2 - use a slightly shorter vanes while adding one vane to even out.

What rest ?

I have always been a high profile 3 vane guy but did switch things up this year to a 2.3" AAE in a 4 fletch STILL with my fixed blades. Great stability and control!
Here is my shot at 90 yds with Broadhead.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377100965.158894.jpg

save your money... No offense to the guys shooting 4 fletch, I think they work as well as the 3 fletch... but not better. If anything it is more drag on an arrow, thus it will cause down range velocity loss.

I have shot competitively for many years including vegas as well as redding and some other higher level 3d competitions..... I have seen ZERO of the top shooters shooting 4 fletch arrows. I know I know, we are shooting broadheads yadda yadda, but as has been mentioned above, accuracy is accuracy and a well tuned bow will shoot a broadhead.

Joe

save your money... No offense to the guys shooting 4 fletch, I think they work as well as the 3 fletch... but not better. If anything it is more drag on an arrow, thus it will cause down range velocity loss.

I have shot competitively for many years including vegas as well as redding and some other higher level 3d competitions..... I have seen ZERO of the top shooters shooting 4 fletch arrows. I know I know, we are shooting broadheads yadda yadda, but as has been mentioned above, accuracy is accuracy and a well tuned bow will shoot a broadhead.

Joe

I agree but I feel like arrows with 4 vanes are slightly more forgiving because of the added drag. On a perfectly released arrow it doesn't matter. But when it comes to hunting and the possibility of a non-perfect release. A more forgiving arrow is my choice because of the potential in a hunting scenario to have a less than perfect release. Im talking solely hunting.