Broadhead choice for this year

ontarget7

WKR
I’ve been mostly a fixed blade guy for years but thinking about just sticking with mechanicals. Not for the reason that is most common that you can’t get fixed to fly like fieldpoints. Really have no issues in that area. I’m more liking them for accuracy under breezy/windy conditions when comparing to fixed. With many mechanicals on the market and most having longer ferrules, which I don’t really care for. My search has narrowed it down to these.

f7902f6c738424b0acfed02605f2e396.jpg

84ec45f2e32f8bb05683c5aa3773b2ff.jpg

They spin true from head to head and seem to open easily with very little loss in transfer of energy upon impact.

So, let’s hear your pick for this year and the reasons why ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I switched to mechanicals last year but I'm switching back to fixed: gonna shoot the Wac'em 3 blade head. Flies great for me and ridiculously sharp out of the box.

I didn't get a single pass-through on any of the whitetails I shot last year with mechanicals and I'm shooting a 500 grain arrow at around 295 FPS out of my rig. Arrows would penetrate out the other side, but they would stay at least half-way in the animal. Only time I ever experienced that with a fixed blade is when I put it through both shoulder blades.

I’ve been mostly a fixed blade guy for years but thinking about just sticking with mechanicals. Not for the reason that is most common that you can’t get fixed to fly like fieldpoints. Really have no issues in that area. I’m more liking them for accuracy under breezy/windy conditions when comparing to fixed. With many mechanicals on the market and most having longer ferrules, which I don’t really care for. My search has narrowed it down to these.

f7902f6c738424b0acfed02605f2e396.jpg

84ec45f2e32f8bb05683c5aa3773b2ff.jpg

They spin true from head to head and seem to open easily with very little loss in transfer of energy upon impact.

So, let’s hear your pick for this year and the reasons why ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have shot the Red Head Gators for Years after Rocky Mountain closed. I love the way they fly and the blood trails are awesome but have recently become concerned that they have done something to cheapen the blades on 3 of my last 4 whitetails I have had at least one blade snap off. I never had that happen with Rocky Mountain and the earlier RH Gators.

Do you plan on using these on anything bigger than deer? I would prefer to shoot the gator for my upcoming first elk hunt but because of my recent experience I switched to Slick Trick Viper Tricks.

Also have you looked at the Tru Glo version? I haven't seen them live but the pictures look like they are more heavy duty than the regular Gators.

For the fifth or so year it will be Rage 2 blade chisel tips for deer. They continue to do what I want a BH to very well.
As of right now it will be the Trypan again this season for Elk.
I personally don't like that Gator because it looks like the blades would be very weak.

boom

WKR
while we are on the topic..why did the Ulmer Edge go away? poor sales numbers?

i'm still shooting Rage Hypodermics at deer and under. my fixie of choice are the Montecs which i have gotten to fly great in the past. i have not shot one with my new bow yet.

Some kind of 2 blade single bevel or either Magnus Buzzcut 4 blades for me. I've got some Kudupoint Contours and have some Classics on the way.

I need a penetrating head since my rig is 60lbs, 28" and a 475 gr arrow moving about 245.

For deer, I MIGHT drop 25 gr and try Ulmer's new head.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

slowelk

WKR
Strickland helix with helical fletched vanes. I think the system should work pretty well together.

Beendare

WKR
FWIW, Op pushing these heads on multiple sites under the guise of, "I might use these......."

...pretty transparent.

Just pay the site and become a sponsor why don't ya......

HookUp

WKR
while we are on the topic..why did the Ulmer Edge go away? poor sales numbers?

i'm still shooting Rage Hypodermics at deer and under. my fixie of choice are the Montecs which i have gotten to fly great in the past. i have not shot one with my new bow yet.

Ulmers Edge had a patent issue. The new SEVR heads look to be the cats ass. They will be my go to head for deer. Elk Iron Will and Exodus in the quiver. They both fly on point with my field tips within 1"

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've been using Thunderhead 100s, since 1992 when I started bowhunting. I'll be using them again this year cause they hit the same place as my field points and have never let me down. I have no reason to change.

Thess87

WKR
Bought gravediggers and dead meats to try this year the diggers were not very sharp at all out of the package so looks like the deadmeats will be on my top arrows.

MattB

WKR
Deer hunts only this year, will be shooting Vortex 125 gr. 2" Steels - just like the past ~15 years.