Magnus Buzzcuts vs Black Hornet Ser Razors?

Just wondering if anyone has done any penetration tests between the 2 broadheads? I know a 2 buzzcut penetrates really well, but haven't heard that the Ser Razors AREN'T penetrating as well, but that sure it a much wider blade angle. I'm shooting 60lbs, 245fps, 473-ish grains. I wouldn't think twice about shooting a deer with the Ser Razors, but wondering if I should stick to the original Buzzcuts for my elk hunt. Mike at Magnus said that he thinks I'd be fine shooting a Ser Razor over a Buzzcut, but thought I'd see if anyone else had any other input.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I shit a buzz cut through a bull 2 years ago. I still wonder how far that arrow went after passing through that ek. The black hornets are a little tougher with thicker blades but for your setup I’d shoot buzzcuts. The longer head will slice better with a better blade angle. That being said, I don’t think it will matter that much!

OP
quackaddict
Yea, I've got no worries in my mind over the Buzzcuts. I honestly would like to shoot Solids or German Kinetic 1.5", just don't want to spend the money on them. I wish Magnus would make a 1 3/8 - 1 1/2" Stinger.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Elc1973

FNG
I shit a buzz cut through a bull 2 years ago. I still wonder how far that arrow went after passing through that ek. The black hornets are a little tougher with thicker blades but for your setup I’d shoot buzzcuts. The longer head will slice better with a better blade angle. That being said, I don’t think it will matter that much!

Awesome! Cracked me up!!

jmez

WKR
I'd stick with the Buzzcuts. I didn't have good luck with the Black Hornet or Serrazor. The ferrule on them is very weak and they break easily. Bad design IMO on those heads.

DRP

Lil-Rokslider

Wow! that must of hurt. LOL

OP
quackaddict
I'd stick with the Buzzcuts. I didn't have good luck with the Black Hornet or Serrazor. The ferrule on them is very weak and they break easily. Bad design IMO on those heads.
Did you shoot them when they first came out? 2 blade or 4 blade? I know they changed them a tiny bit, and I know how they cut out a bit of the ferrule for the 4 blade.

jmez

WKR
Yes when they came out and mine had the bleeder blades. I broke several of them in foam targets right where the ferrule meets the blades.

OP
quackaddict
Yes when they came out and mine had the bleeder blades. I broke several of them in foam targets right where the ferrule meets the blades.
I'm just looking at the 2 blades...not sure if that would make a difference.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Haha oops! That’s what I get for not proof reading.

Jmez, please enlighten us. You don’t know either but based on experience you wouldn’t shoot either. Very helpful.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Bowhunters came to us asking for solutions for sharpening their black hornets and ser-razors. It seems many struggle to sharpen the tiny serrations and the small bleeder blades so they reached out to us for a solution. We came up with simple solutions to return heads to a razors edge including the serrations and small bleeders. Here are some before and after pics of ser-razors we sharpened.

M1BfpsD.jpg

27qVc0C.jpg

GrveRlU.jpg

FjdWlt2.jpg

FhRXkjo.jpg

7thILSe.jpg

Reactions: ZDR

desertcj

WKR
I don't know either but based on my experience with them I wouldn't shoot either of them.

I understand your frustration, but I can assure you that the 2 blade Serrazor is a tough sob! How tough? Tougher than a slick trick Mag. Tough enough to break a deer front leg bone. I shot it 3 or 4 times with the same head and the bone lost every time:) The slick trick broke a blade on the first shot.

Beendare

WKR
I would listen to Mez.....knows his stuff.

I think you know.....the 2 blade vs 4 blade Buzzcut has a different ferrule....I like the 2 blades much better, twice the ferrule. Personally, I like the 2 blade 150's.

Sharpening wise, put them on the end of your arrow or better yet on the end of a short piece of arrow shaft and run them on those 'V' shaped chock sticks...it gets them scary sharp with only 10 swipes.

I've never worried about sharpening the serrations, when you run them on the chock sticks or a diamond stone, sharpening the blade edges sharpens the cutting edges of the serrations at the same time. I suppose it can't hurt to sharpen each serration...but it seems like overkill to me, YMMV.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Sharpening wise, put them on the end of your arrow or better yet on the end of a short piece of arrow shaft and run them on those 'V' shaped chock sticks...it gets them scary sharp with only 10 swipes.

If you looked at the cutting edge under magnification after running your blade through a "v" shaped sharpener you would never use that method again as it destroys the edge and leaves it jagged and uneven.. There is a reason no broadhead or knife manufacturer sharpens their products using that method. the "V" shaped sharpeners round off (dull) the chisel serrations.

Beendare

WKR
If you looked at the cutting edge under magnification after running your blade through a "v" shaped sharpener you would never use that method again as it destroys the edge and leaves it jagged and uneven.. There is a reason no broadhead or knife manufacturer sharpens their products using that method. the "V" shaped sharpeners round off (dull) the chisel serrations.

I would disagree with that ^

I have the Spyderco Sharpsmaker triangle sticks and those Buzzcuts are sharper off the sticks than from the pack.

I also have the fine long diamond hones or a guy can use the triangle stick against the edge....that works great on those heads also. The Gatco or Lansky works great too. I don't remove the blades as its a PITA to get them perfectly aligned again.

These heads don't cut like a serrated knife utilizing the inner serration...so I see no need to sharpen those inner curves.

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
Since broadhead sharpening is our business and as a custom knife maker, I will strongly disagree with your claim about any "V" shaped sharpener. I will agree that the Lansky and Gatco will work well since they sharpen in the proper direction.

Magnus shows and recommends sharpening the chisel serrations and multiple customer requests for a way to sharpen the serrations tells us that many find value in sharpening them.

Removing the blades for honing will produce the best results. If "good enough" is good enough, then I agree with keeping the heads assembled.

desertcj

WKR
I guess I'll throw up my penetration test for fun...100gr Serrazor. I'm sure buzzcuts are great too? 2nd pic kinda sucks because I had to resize so much in order to upload it. You can see that I shot it right through the "Shoulder" which is actually just meat. Full penetration and I never found that arrow. Shot was 50yds. The arrow sticking out the brisket was a follow up shot at 60yds because it was still standing and I shoot till its down. The penetration is there. Oh ya, 415gr/16% foc arrow at 280fps. I like those specs because you can get the there different ways depending on the ibo of your bow.

Attachments

• 20160820_200630.jpg
    20160820_200630.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 133
  • 20160820_200659_1531437160840_1531437847448.jpg
    20160820_200659_1531437160840_1531437847448.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
Hey, I'm just going by my experience....works for me in less than a minute. I'm not trying to peddle anything to anybody.

A guy taking one of those Buzzcut blades off in the field is going to find out real quick he was better off sharpening it on the end of his arrow.....

Buzzcuts fly smooth and are in same impact area as field tips out to 50 meters with me. Good penetration as well. They are a good backup for me but they dont offer the long term use /durability that I prefer in a head. I've never used ser razors .