Quilt pros cons

Short on cache

Lil-Rokslider
I know nothing about quilts. What's the difference between a quilt and a sleeping bag. What's the pros cons of using a quilt?

ssliger

WKR
There is quite a bit of info on here for the Enlightened equipment quilts. I am getting one next month. I will report back once I get to use it.

colonel00

WKR
Just quickly off the top of my head...

Pros:
Lighter
Cheaper (more or less)
Easier to vent
More like sleeping in a bed
Can be used while glassing

Cons:
Doesn't "cocoon" you
Potential for air gaps
No mummy hood

Browtine

WKR
The biggest pros are the lighter weight due to not having insulation on the bottom and no full length zipper. Also, they are very nice for active sleepers, easier to toss and turn in a quilt since it's basically used like a blanket. Biggest con that I've found is draft control which isn't that big of a deal in a good shelter or inside a bivy. I have the EE Rev-X 20. Not too many nights in it yet, but really like it so far. Just got back from a flyfishing trip to the Green in UT a couple weeks ago and took it down to about 30. Was plenty warm in a light base layer of merino.

MattB

WKR
The biggest downside to a quilt IMO is versatiliy, as you can unzip most sleeping bags and use them like a quilt, but it is harder to make a quilt act like a mummy w/ hood. As a result, a bag of a given temperature rating may likely be able to provide comfort over a wider temperature range than a quilt.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
The biggest downside to a quilt IMO is versatiliy, as you can unzip most sleeping bags and use them like a quilt, but it is harder to make a quilt act like a mummy w/ hood. As a result, a bag of a given temperature rating may likely be able to provide comfort over a wider temperature range than a quilt.

I disagree. A quilt is much more versatile compared to a mummy bag imo. I have top quality down bags and quilts, and I almost always go with a quilt. For me it is way easier to regulate temperature with my quilts.

amp713

WKR
I got a new bag shortly before hearing about quilts and have been dying to try a quilt ever since.... Kinda interested to see everyones votes here ha

eltaco

WKR
Has anyone used the hammock gear burrow quilts? I had been looking at the EE quilts quite a bit and the Burrows seem comparable, but with 850 treated down at roughly the same price of EEs 750 duck down.

MattB

WKR
I disagree. A quilt is much more versatile compared to a mummy bag imo. I have top quality down bags and quilts, and I almost always go with a quilt. For me it is way easier to regulate temperature with my quilts.

Help me understand this, as I have never used a dedicated quilt (only used a sleeping bag fully unzipped as a quilt), but given you can use most sleeping bags like a quilt or in full blown max warmth mode (fully zipped/hood opening cinched down to a softball size), I struggle to understand how you could cover a wider range of temperatures with a quilt than a sleeping bag.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
First, a lot of mummy bags don't zip all the way. Also when you open a mummy bag and use it like a quilt the top is not "straight" so it either doesn't cover your shoulders, or it covers your head. I always bring a beanie when I'm backpacking, so I have no need for the hood on a mummy bag.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Help me understand this, as I have never used a dedicated quilt (only used a sleeping bag fully unzipped as a quilt), but given you can use most sleeping bags like a quilt or in full blown max warmth mode (fully zipped/hood opening cinched down to a softball size), I struggle to understand how you could cover a wider range of temperatures with a quilt than a sleeping bag.

MattB,

Think of using a quilt like this:

When you have a sleeping bag, any down you are laying on is compressed from your body weight and useless. Its added weight at this point. No matter what you are going to have some compressed down between you and your pad. So in the grand scheme of things, why not remove that extra down and the bottom portion of a sleeping bag? It makes sense.

You standard quilt isn't like removing half the width of a sleeping bag. They are typically a little wider so that they wrap around you and down to your pad. The EE quilts also come with straps to help hold its shape around you in the night so that don't get spots where the quilt might pull off of your and let cold air in.

Covering a wider range of temps with a quilt, to me, would go like this. You start at the cold end of the spectrum and you self vent into warmer weather. Meaning its easy to throw a leg out the side of a quilt opposed to unzipping your sleeping bag. Sure you can unzip a sleeping bag and make it into a quilt but it still weighs 2 1/2+ pounds against the quilt at 25oz. Hopefully that clears it up a bit!

Brock

bbrown

WKR
I was very skeptical of the whole quilt idea but decided to give it a shot and the more I use it the more I like it. I honestly have not even used any of my bags since I got the quilt. Its just more comfortable, lighter, more packable and cheaper than comparable bags. Plus with E&E you are buying from a good dude who will shoot you straight, is a RS sponsor and are made in the US.
Honestly you should take E&E up on their 60 day try-it and return it if its not for you but I would guess if you give it a fair shake you will be surprised.

MattB

WKR
Trust me when I say that I am not trying to be argumentative: while those are legitimate points about the differences between quilts and bags or criticisms as to why some bags don't make good quilts, I don't see how any 3 of those points support the contention that a quilt could cover a wider range of temperatures than a sleeping bag. The beanie comment implies the opposite. Quilts may simply work better for some people or in some circumstances, but it still seems to me a sleeping bag has greater versatility in regards to covering a wider temperature range han a quilt.

Last edited:

colonel00

WKR
I consider both of those to be positives........very nice positives!

Yeah, I agree as well. However, as with anything, it is all personal preference. A couple of my buddies sleep on their backs just fine and love to be cocooned in their mummy bags. That's just not for me and not how I sleep be it at home or in the woods.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Trust me when I say that I am not trying to be argumentative: while those are legitimate points about the differences between quilts and bags or criticisms as to why some bags don't make good quilts, I don't see how any 3 of those points support the contention that a quilt could cover a wider range of temperatures than a sleeping bag. The beanie comment implies the opposite. Quilts may simply work better for some people or in some circumstances, but it still seems to me a sleeping bag has greater versatility in regards to covering a wider temperature range han a quilt.

I hear what you are saying but it just doesn't work like that, for me at least.

In my experience, for a given weight, a quilt will cover more temps.

littlebuf

Banned
for what its worth i will never go back to a sleeping bag. ive got a few indepth threads on here about my EE quilts if you do a search. dont really list pros and cons but my rev x thread will walk you through all the features of a quilt if your interested to seee them

I am just starting to use quilts, so take that into consideration. I'm seeing my use of quilts ranging from 20° to 80° or so with a little give at the bottom perhaps. I'm an active sleeper and have liked using my quilt so far. A lot. But while normal conditions will have me reaching for my quilt, I don't think they're the answer to everything. I am thinking about giving the treated down a try, but I'm hesitant to go with a down quilt for wet conditions.

For ice-out and early wet conditions, where weight is less of an issue, I'm using my Wiggy' s bag 15° to 45°. For winter trips 10° and colder, Wiggy' s bag with overbag.

I'll start loosely using the hood at 10° to 20°. I snug it up a bit -10° to 10°. When I'm sleeping -15° to -25° and colder, I look like a waxworm.

But my field use of my quilt is a whopping seven or eight days I think, plus maybe five "backyard" nights. Temps running from 26° to maybe 52° or so. Assess my opinions accordingly.

amp713

WKR
I was very skeptical of the whole quilt idea but decided to give it a shot and the more I use it the more I like it. I honestly have not even used any of my bags since I got the quilt. Its just more comfortable, lighter, more packable and cheaper than comparable bags. Plus with E&E you are buying from a good dude who will shoot you straight, is a RS sponsor and are made in the US.
Honestly you should take E&E up on their 60 day try-it and return it if its not for you but I would guess if you give it a fair shake you will be surprised.

Never heard of this return? Now im thinking its time to get one............