energizer 9x lithium batteries

sk1

WKR
so last year i was dumb and took regular batteries--a lot of them. this year im being smart and using lithium, the 9x ones, not 6x. it will of course cut down on weight, and the time spent changing them which always seems to come at the wrong time.

the problem i have is i really have no idea how to remotely gauge how long they will last and how many extra to take, trying not to overdo it but at the same time i dont want to be way back and out of batteries. i like to leave my gps run all day long so that i have all my tracks i can load on the computer when i get back so i can analyze my trip, i usually use about 1 set of AA normal energizers per day....do i really expect to see 9x life with the lithium? or maybe more like 4 or 5x to be on the safe side.

i think i might put some in my gps and just turn it on and let it sit and see how long it lasts, although not quite an equivalent comparison of running around with it, i would imagine it will give me a general idea.

so how have the lithiums been for you guys and do you find you're still taking a decent amount of extras?

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Let you know after this weekend. Going to CO for a scouting trip and using these exact batteries for the first time.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear ya man. My GPS is weird. The battery bar will say full, then at half day it'll be down to half. Then it seems like it hold on 1 bar above dead for a full day. If I let it sit idle and not touch anything the battery life seems to climb? I have the Garmin 450 Oregon. A fresh set in the GPS and a backup will last me a 5 day hunt If I recall from last year. Overall though the lithiums have been way better than a good alkaline.

digger

Lil-Rokslider
Put a set of batteries in today and turn it on.See how long they last.Thats what I'm going to do.
I'd rather smoke a set down here than carry to many up there.Just me.

Daniel_M

WKR
I can stretch a pair of non-lithium AA's about 16 hours in my GPS, with battery save mode on. I have no other way to log/track river miles otherwise. I can stretch apair of Litho's for 32 hours if I keep it to a minimum, view mileage, mark waypoints and calculate ETA's and distance to navigable landmarks. It takes a little more frequent hands on because waterways are not eligible for route calculating, unless you hand jam it.

Lithium batteries are way way lighter than alkaline. I put fresh ones in before each trip (if more than a day or two) and bring two sets of backups... I have never had to go to set three. No reason to throw out the used ones if they aren't stone deal..... they are expensive as hell. I use my unknown ones for day stuff and scouting. I mark them with a sharpee.

joe

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
i burned through several sets on my headlamp also, but i typically use 80+ lumens, i think its set at 100...i think i used 3 or 4 sets but i hiked a whole lot of miles in the dark and of course used at camp. i have a feeling i may be taking too many batteries again this year, but definitely less than last year....and like someone mentioned lithiums are also lighter

i already know my spot tracker lasts forever on a new set of lithiums so im covered there.